1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tilts you in game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Tom McTrouble, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

As the title asks, what things do you encounter in Infinity that put you on tilt? We have a particular player at our store who is very good, but I suspect that a lot of people are defeated before the game even starts, because his play style puts them on tilt.

Personally, although I've come a long way, I find it hard not to be put on tilt by encountering symbiomates.

2. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

I get tilted by criticals. Like when i’m Shooting with B5 against an ARO of B1 and he cancels my criticals or worse. Also when i’m Planning a 7order maneuver and I fail miserably at the only roll I needed not to fail.
    Now that I think of it I only get tilted by dice and that’s a problem cause chance is the fun mechanic that gives realism to wargames.
    Actually now that I think of it I really suck at chess, so maybe the dice actually help me win at wargames.

3. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I have emotional problems with handling continuously bad die results. Eg when I need to roll up to 17 to deploy a smoke grenade in a normal roll and roll an 18 on both attempts. Basically, it drives me nuts when I have the right plan but it just does not work out because the dice gods are against me.

4. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

When I put in a lot of work to pull of a really strong precision strike that should work 90% of the time and it easily gets countered with minimal effort because dice.

Tristan228 and Icchan like this.
  5. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I don't know what "on tilt" means. Google tells me something something blah emotional frustration blah something but I stopped reading.

I just don't get that emotionally invested in the game. There's always that level of disconnect for me. The win isn't important, the game is.

6. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

Playing against someone who is passing a disproportionately high number of ARM rolls, to the point it feels like they are just passing them all.

It somehow feels worse than just getting Crit a lot or losing face to face rolls you have really good odds to win.

Lohdroz, Solar, inane.imp and 6 others like this.
  7. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Pretty much this. I've come a long way in understanding and moderating my expectations of the success of my actions, and can roll with a bad streak with dice. BUT armour rolls are still my weakness, when I'm doing my darndest and my opponent is just laughing it off.

The amount of times I've got 2 or 3 explosive hits on a 2W model and breathed a sigh of relief only for my opponent to pass 5/6 armour rolls is too damn high!

Probably the most egregious memory I have is a haramaki link vs a sukeul ML. I win the first FtF with 2 hits. Mate that, OK whatever. Do it again. Nothing. Do it again, 2 hits! Great, that should put the bastard down. 6/6 arm rolls. nope. Next ftf my haramaki evaporates to 1 hit.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Lohdroz likes this.
  8. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

If possible, don't use the same troop to fire at the same target again. Bring another troop to shoot at it. If you all fail and your turn ends, he's now facing multiple ARO's on his turn.

9. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

I think my hate of symbiomates makes me bleed into this.

Zewrath likes this.
  10. gamma ray

gamma ray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Rolling or receiving too many critical hits in a game. When they're happening in every F2F or two, strategy or MODs be damned, it just doesn't feel like you can do anything to make it seem like a competition.

Lohdroz and Icchan like this.
  11. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Don't mind the crits too much, I (almost) always have a plan B for those. What makes my blood boiling though are consistently bad rolls.

- B5 HMG on BS14? K, here's your result: 1,2,18,20,20
    - Opponent passes his dodge on 4. Beats every result
    - OOOkaay! *Sighs* I'll shoot that TR REM then: 2-15-16-15-7
    - TR REM wins FTF
    - Pass ARM Roll
    - You win FTF
    - He passes ARM Roll
    - Repeat ad nauseam
    - Send the TR REM to unconscious
    - Run out of orders, realizing you've accomplished nothing but wasting every single order
    - TFW when your opponent reminds you that the TR REM was in the 2nd combat group and he has nearly 10 orders in his primary pool
    - TFW when you realize you lost more orders in your ARO than you killed due to your shit rolls, none of which were good trades.

Lohdroz, eciu, Barrogh and 1 other person like this.
  12. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Bad dice rolls don't bother me much anymore, long ago I just accepted that I managed to scorn Lady Luck at some point in time and she has cursed me to always roll results in games of chance that are so skewed they can throw off statistical analysis.

The only thing i really get 'tilted' about is games where it feels like my decisions have no effect on the outcome, sometimes it's just you come up against a hard-counter list, other times it's just a massive skill disparity between opponent and me, often it's just a really really bad day to roll dice. But if the game turns into 'well I'll move my models around a bit while you just clean up the objectives with impunity' then I tend to just check out and stop caring.

WolfofWinter and Barrogh like this.
  13. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

you have to play games to tilt/be tilted

leigen_zero likes this.
  14. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Exactly this. I see posts on the forum sometimes where people are basically mewling and don't want to lose at all costs. Meh. It's just a game.

Red M&M.....Blue M&M.... they all come out the same colour in the end.

15. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Is it a reference to old pinball machines that had a tilt switch inside to stop players being too physical? If ‘tilted’ the electrical elements (this being pre-electronic) were all turned off so the ball would just roll back down past the lifeless flippers, then hit another switch that would turn the table on again.

#15 Wolf, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  16. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Bad dice don’t generally upset me, because (whilst it’s not totally true) I tend to think that my strategies should be robust enough to weather a few bad tolls.

I do get exasperated (with myself) though when I’m playing a turn-limited game and sometimes reach the final turn realizing theres nothing I can do to win whether I pay the turn or not.

17. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Wait what? There are Infinity Death Games and nobody told me!?

Wolf likes this.
  18. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I know what "tilt" means in reference to pinball machines, I'm old enough that I played them in my youth - and I have friends with them in their houses. I've also studied electronics/electrical engineering and I'm fully aware of how the machines work - and a decent understanding of the whys. That's not what I meant.

I just don't know what it means in context with tabletop gaming. It's not a phrase used here.
    Physically picking me up and shaking me to get a free game? Table flipping? Google telling me something about being worked up by emotional frustration? That's the bit I don't get. I just don't (can't) get that emotionally worked up over a game. I don't go deep enough down that rabbit-hole to want or need to get that worked up about it.
    Hell, even in an rpg, I don't go that deep down the rabbit-hole. There always should be that disconnect. This ain't "mazes and monsters" after all.

Abrilete likes this.
  19. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

I think tilt in this context means throws you off your game. you lose sight of the bigger picture getting sucked in to repeating frustrating scenarios with out thinking of breaking them. like tacking on a TR bot with a high burst weapon and pumping 10 orders into it for minimal return.

Zsimbi likes this.
  20. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that does torque me off to no end.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation