1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Interacion - Templates against CC

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Urobros, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

Hello,

The other day, talking with some fellow players, a question about templates and CC came, so, when we answered we noticed a weird interaction with templates and CC.
    If we read the Rulebook in page 49:

«TEMPLATE WEAPONS INTO CLOSE COMBAT
    Template Weapons placed on a group of Troopers engaged in Close Combat will
    always affect every Trooper involved, even if, due to the Template’s placement, it
    contacts only some of them. Players must take this into account, since Attacks cannot
    be performed against Allied Troopers»

I saw others players to say that "template weapons" don't affect the "user of the DTW, but this isn't true, if we keep reading page 49 we can find:

«The Teardrop Template’s placement cannot pass through the own
    Trooper’s Silhouette»

This line prevent a troup to go "inside the template area" with his movement, so the same applies to the situation I will describe below.

Those two rules described on page 49 prevent the following situation to happen:

Troup A do move as first short skill. This movement brings A to silouete contact with troup B.
    After that B couldn't place the template of, for example, a chain rifle because it will be affected by a template, so the shot will be canceled.
    For exactly the same reason, troup A could't do as second short skill BS attack with a template weapon. The template will affect all the troups in CC (A and B), so it will be "canceled".
    I really have no idea if this what intented of if is only a weird and undesire interaction.
    I have no intention to discuss about the rule itself, if I open this thread is why I want to make others players aware of this weird interaction, to know if I was in a small group of players doing it wrong and, finally, as I understand it like a probably undesire interaction, to make it notice for Corvus staff.

Best regards!

@Koni , @HellLois Could be possible for you to bring this to the Rules/FAQ team into consideration? Thanks.

HellLois likes this.
  2. Th1nG

Th1nG Active Member

There is a red box on the bottom of page 50 of the rule book which says "Despite being in contact with the Template, Troopers declaring an attack with a Direct Template will not be affected by it, unless otherwise specified in the Weapon's, Skill's or Type of Ammunition's description.

This should take care of the problem and allow the template to be placed, or am I wrong?

Jumara and Urobros like this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I think this just refers to placing the template. If you move, you pick the position you shoot from, and place the template with the blast focus touching that position but the template not passing through that position. I don't think it stops the trooper from passing through the template in a different part of her movement, due to the line @Th1nG referenced.

Jumara and Urobros like this.
  4. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

The "red box" mentioned by @Th1nG should do the trick. I was victim of a hard "overthinking" this time and I "paniqued"! I thought I read enough carefully the rules, but it is clear I did not. I'm still not convinced about the part of the template going throw your silouete and not being affected, but the main issue I guess it is done. We can presume the red box takes priority over the CC clarification.

If someone with "forum powers" wants to close the topic, it will be wellcome, thanks.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation