1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WarCors - are they of any use?

Discussion in 'General' started by Varsovian, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Sorry if it's a basic question, but: are the WarCors of any use if you're not playing in a campaign? From what I see on their stats, their only skill is purely campaign-related (it helps with the Promotion rolls). Aside from that, is there any point in fielding them?

BTW. I assume they *can* be attacked during missions? They don't have any kind of immunity?

2. jfunkd

jfunkd hard forum hittin Carlos
    Warcor

For 3 points, if it ever stuns an opponent's model with his flash pulse (which he typically is doing on a base roll of 16) or he has to expend an order to deal with him the warcor has probably earned his price tag.

I have had a Warcor stun a Jotum back to back turns before.

There is no respect for the Paparazzi, they get shot just like everyone else.

3. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

They can be really good in Hunting Party, and If you have Wallace or Joan as your lt then they're another order. There's never any huge reason to bring one outside of the campaign, but if you have 3 points left over then the chances are nothing else will fit, so why not bring one?

4. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

They're the cheap and totally expendable ARO option if you have second group in your army list - and I always use my Warcor if I can. They are great, so try one - I've had many games in which Warcors did some really great stuff, flashing and blinding professional soldiers (sometimes mine, sometimes enemies' ;) ).

PozdRawiam / Greetings

Myomer, Belgrim and Abrilete like this.
  5. Natsymir

Natsymir Well-Known Member

Warcors are borderline broken. Just the statistics from latest Interplanetario should prove that - there were sooo many Warcors. They're an utterly amazing ARO piece that always pays back their cost. Flash pulse is a terrific weapon; a Stunned TAG or any kind of Rambo is effectively disabled for the entire round, as there's no way to heal Stunned. Warcors have won me entire games by stunning enemy Rambos as they went for an objective. They're great for Discover rolls, too. You can even spend a command counter to convert that 3 pts irregular order into a regular one.

I always include a Warcor in all my tournament lists if there is any way at all that I can spare those 3 points.

#5 Natsymir, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

3 pt flashpusles, for Joan and Wallace they are 3 pt orders.

That being said now that 1 order pool groups cant be stripped I expect to see less "just chuck it in" warcors

tdc, xagroth and Abrilete like this.
  7. jfunkd

Warcor

Flash Pulses have the Flash Ammo trait, not stun ammo even though they inflict the stunned condition.

In hunting party: Stun Special Ammunition causes the Immobilized-1 state instead of the Stunned state.

Flash ammo operates normally and still does stunned.

I am making the assumption that you may be confused about that, apologies if not.

8. cazboab

@jfunkd that would be a reasonable assumption, but no, I meant the fact that they get an extra stun pistol so they go up to b3... The flash pulse is useful for setting up models to be gooped with an adhl from elsewhere at - 9ph but it's generally not necessary as if you can get multiple hits from stun pistols then you might be looking at up to 6 bts saves...

jfunkd likes this.
  9. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

It is a ARO piece that costs you 3 points.

If he ever fires on a enemy, or force a enemy to spend half a order to get rid of him, he was already worth it.

10. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Totally agree with this statement. I have lost several games to a either a Warcor or a Flash Pulse. I remember clearly having a game almost tied, a game were my opponent had like 3 models left and was about to take the beacon in Capture & Protect. My Su-Jian Datatracker got critted and could no longer pick up the freaking beacon, I had to spend orders to repair my 2nd Su-Jian and barely had orders left to reach the beacon, as I'm almost touching the beacon, I lose my FtF roll (B4 Spitfire) and freaking fail my BTS. I stood 4" next to the beacon with 2 useless Su-Jians, with no orders left for any of my other troops to go fetch the damn Beacon. Only pulled off a minor victory because I completed my classified. Was the worst win of my life. Fuck Warcors! :tearsofjoy:

Abrilete likes this.
  11. jfunkd

Warcor

IMO, the warcors isn't broke, it's flash pulse that needs a nerf. Why it has positive range bands when Forward Observer doesn't makes no sense to me. On decent WIP platforms it is usually an ARO on 16 or 17s... it's just too high, most units pay out the wazoo for single die AROs with numbers that high.

Give flash pulse only flat and negative range bands and it's fixed.

Magonus, Reece, xagroth and 1 other person like this.
  12. cazboab

Alternative idea: make it a ranged version of electric pulse, it could be considered as always rolling 9/12/6/3 depending on range and no other mods, rather than the flat 7 to balance it against the fact that ballistic weapons almost always have higher than b1 in the active turn.

13. Natsymir

I think that'd hurt all the guys where you actually invest in them being Forward Observers too much.

My prefered solution would rather be - why on earth does Stunned have to prevent you from pushing buttons? That's not intuitive at all.

You could also be able to shake off the Stunned condition with a Reset with -3 or something. That'd help all the TAGs that are ridiculously vulnerable to Stun.

Abrilete and Wyrmnax like this.
  14. Natsymir

Yes. And it also means that he gets better the less orders your enemy have. If you face a Limited Insertion list, not only will it be super irritating for them having to spend orders killing the Warcor - they'll hardly have a choice, as the Stunned condition would be devastating to their brutal Rambo units.

Wyrmnax likes this.
  15. Varsovian

Hmmm. And now you have to explain to me what "ARO option" actually means...

(I'm new!)

16. jfunkd

Warcor

ARO is automatic reaction order. It's a fundamental mechanic to Infinity and is the action you can take during your reactive turn when an enemy unit does something your trooper can react too.

In this reference it is saying that a Warcor can be a valuable unit because of it's ability to ARO with a flash pulse on a high target number, sometimes winning FtF rolls and forcing your opponent to spend more orders than he intended, occasionally stunning an attacking unit and making it impotent until the state wears off.

17. Varsovian

Oh, I know what ARO is in general - that's one of the concept I find great about Infinity :) I was wondering what did the "ARO option" and "ARO piece" mean in this particular context. Especially as Kedzior mentioned that along with the notion of a second group in the army list - why would that be important?

18. cazboab

Some folks tend to put irregular orders in the second group so the first group can roll out the full 10, then the second group is used for mopping up/as a backup etc.

Abrilete likes this.
  19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Now it's less used, unless you are playing with Haqquislam and his "cheapo irregular spam" because of the advantages a single group has wehn going first (negating Strategic Use of command tokens to the enemy).

cazboab likes this.
  20. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Afaik it does not, it only prevent Attacks. You can do other rolls at -3.
    • Troopers in this state cannot declare Attacks.
    • Moreover, troopers in Stunned state must apply a MOD of -3 to any Roll they perform, except to the ARM/BTS Rolls.

ARO piece means a troop is considered good/better for ARO. Imagine a heavy infantry wielding a HMG. It is not a good ARO piece. Why ? Because he has a high burst weapon that is far better in active than in reactive. In reactive it has only 1 burst that will inflict 1 wound. So it's not a big threat, it is expensive, and your opponent will want to kill it because he knows that this is the perfect time to get rid of that annoying active turn monster. Now take a missile launcher. Burst 1 in active or reactive, deals 3 hits per attack. It means it will be as powerful in active than in reactive, and given its power, if you get hit you will likely die. That is a good ARO piece. Especially if you have some kind of to_hit modifiers like mimetism ...
    Why the warcor is a good ARO piece ? Because it is really annoying thanks to flash pulse, and it is only worth 3 pts. You have nothing to lose, but your opponent cannot ignore it and will have ot use at least one order to get rid of it, if not more.

Skyhusky, McNamara and cazboab like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation