1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla counters to linked HI

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Cannon Fodder, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

Recently I've been playing against nomads interventors a lot so I started building lists that were have been unhackable to undermine the nomad meta. But because of this I have issues against HI 5 man links. My normal counter is a well placed repeater and let my opponent waste orders taking the long route. Between high stats and bonuses i can't do much against it. Smoke and msv2 which is a staple in my vanilla is nulified by sixth sense level 2. Same for any surprise fire abilities. Considering most of these links are multi wound it's eats a lot of orders to shoot them with non-EXP ammo. Missile launchers on cheaper models are not that great against a link team. The Aros are better than the active attack.

2. Telkri

Telkri Member

Well if you are willing to sacrifice some of your troops. Just run something like at Kum biker, naffatun, Ghazi muttawiah or Krakot renegade up in to close ranges and use template weapons that automatically hits like chain rifles and flamers. So that all in the link team can only ARO with shooting and taking the damage or dodge. There is also the possibility some from the link team break from it, to do a different ARO.
    And if you mind to use overpowered units. the Ghazi deals almost godlike with heavy link teams sinces it have E/marat, jammer and a chain rifles that forces your opponent to choose to either dodges or reset before you chooses which weapon to use. Since the jammer isolates its target it break the troop out of its link teams.

But if you don't feel like sacrificing troops then Speculative Fire with E/M grenades to isolate and immobilized-2 or normal grenades. The Hunzakuts and Druze are my personal choice to do this. Maybe have a Ayyar or bashi bazouk with their holo L2 take out one.

And when you have either broken the link team or reduced it to a more manageable size you can go back to just smoke and shoot them or what other way you feels suits you best.

Sendt fra min Lenovo TB3-X70L med Tapatalk

3. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

IMO nothing invokes the terror on an opponent's face like a Ghazi Muttawi'ah jumping their HI Fireteam or TAG. One well placed template, and you have potentially entire team Immobilised and Isolated.

If you've managed to get rid of their Engineer (one of the more tempting targets for my Fiday), the Immobilized, Isolated HI are more debilitating than if they were dead. They can't do a thing anymore, but you can still target them at will (eg. to catch up a Camo Marker under a template), and they don't count against Retereat threshold.

Sojourne likes this.
  4. emperorsaistone

emperorsaistone Well-Known Member

Coordinated Daylami Panzerfaust are an option. even better, when you are able to get a Mutt into the mix.

5. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I think my issue with that game was the limited insertion. When you only have 10 models you can't bring too many of our cheap options.

6. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

Depending on the link, you can smoke and CC with a fiday to break it or at least shave off bonuses so that their troops will have a better go at taking them out. Also, don’t underestimate the power/threat of a well placed impact template from a ML or HRL to exploit link clumping when you’re active or to exploit sloppy movement when you are reactive.

7. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

There's always Al Hawwa assault hacker to try. A full heavy infantry link team is insane if it doesn't bring any Tinbots available or a hacker to use Fairy Dust. See also Ragik assault hacker, Taureg assault hacker.

Druze light grenade launcher and pray heavy infantry doesn't dodge them too much.

Kaplan with either ADHL or the Blitzen. Engineer as a bonus.

8. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

... Barid AHD. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. emperorsaistone

emperorsaistone Well-Known Member

Well, thats a completely different thing then..if you dont want to use Hackers, you could if they have first turn, hide everything and let them come to you. This wastes some of their orders and then the link is either standing in or close to your DZ or has to use even more orders to get back into a better position. That only works well, if there are no buttons to push, of course. In that case you need to leave AROs out to not let them roam freely across the board. Snipers with visual mods are your way to go here to make them waste as many ordeers, as possible. If the tables in your meta are not that sniper friendly, use midfield Camo Infiltrators in position where they are forced to deal with them and again wate orders for discovering.
    If you go first, AD or Impersonation is your friend...or just throw smoke where necessary and push buttons.

10. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Okay, take this with a sack of salt since I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to LI, but still...

Something to consider, points don't always represent actual value in a particular match, and sometimes are arguably off with some units.

If you think that cheaper model is more useful than more expensive one, I think that loss of list's points total isn't something to be worried about.

So let's consider Ghazi (because who else is often estimated many points above their official costs? :smirk:) The loss of regular order is a problem (somewhat offset by Impetuous though), so is Ghazi's relative fragility, but the thing about them is that on the offense against units you typically encounter in LI they still can trade extremely well, probably better than many more expensive guys. On the defense they still ensure a significant risk for almost anyone who wants to approach, especially since your opponent doesn't have orders to move around too much as well. Although for that to work, your table must be exploitable in order to ensure some safety for Impetuous guys past turn 1 - I don't expect people to try and get close to your DZ on turn one anyway, so long-term survival is something to consider (not a 5pts throwaway walking mine with a hookah anymore, but 10% of your army in LI!), especially if you go second and your opponent will be free to setup AROs however they feel like.

Another issue is tied to LI meta. People kinda expect E/M to be brought since it works well against many expensive things that feel at home in the format, so they may invest in some Veterans to whom Ghazis are just some below average smoke+CR dudes with nothing else going for them.

With all that said, I wouldn't try to bring more than one I believe unless you know a recipe for an effective extremely top-heavy Haqq LI list. One's potential is still no joke, capable of at least forcing particular deployment decisions to cover one's approach.

#10 Barrogh, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  11. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind when bringing an irregular unit in LI is that you can spend a command token to turn it into a regular order to bring yourself back up to ten.

oldGregg likes this.
  12. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, you can always do that, with usual associated economical concerns.
    Good news is that you generally want to use that order on Ghazi early on, and latter, if he survives, you can start converting to grab objectives or whatnot. Bad news is that in the long run you may end up using it repeatedly just to yank Ghazi back into position where his next Impetuous order will be less likely to either kill him or force a Regular order expenditure to suppress Impetuous one.

Irregularity doesn't matter at all if you see an opportunity to advance and trade or deny some patch of land though.

13. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

Yep, if you are already planning on using a second order on them it doesn't make any sense to do. Otherwise, if you've better things to do elsewhere, you just aren't losing as much as some people may believe by having an irregular unit in LI.

14. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

So just dont shoot them. Use smoke to get a model into template range then do nothing. When its there turn they now cant do anything with the team without eating a template. Alternativly use the smoke to get into melee, SSL2 only applies if you are the target so the rest of the team cant do much while u cut someone up. Then in thier turn you have a model right there so again they cant do anything without eating a template. Kusym Beg is my go to for this and it works 9/10 times. His panzerfaust are nice backup range as well.

Ginrei likes this.
  15. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Forgot one.

Ghulam with e/mauler.

Xeurian and emperorsaistone like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation