1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading the lizard

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by 1337Bolshevik, Apr 12, 2022.

1. 1337Bolshevik

1337Bolshevik Let them eat repeaters

So seeing the gator it's pretty clear the lizard in it's current state is obsolete, some said so before but I tried to hold the belief it was fine.

I can no longer do so, the old girl needs a bit of a rework so I propose we give it a guided multi hmg and take away the grenade launcher. This would make it a very unique TAG and tie into the board control nomads do so well. Whlist also maintaining the identity it used to have in n3 of dropping grenades on people.

csjarrat likes this.
  2. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Uh... is there a Guided Multi HMG in the game at all?

I agree, grenade launchers in N4 aren't what they used to be in N1/N2.

Now, as for comparing Lizard vs Gator:
    • stat-wise, they're almost identical (Gator is +3 CC, but on a TAG I don't call it a significant advantage. Though noticeable regardless).
    • Equipment &skill-wise, Gator has - ECM -3 (Hacker), +1 CC Damage, Dodge +2" and Natural Born Warrior - neither of these Lizard has )(all other bits are identical). True, those pieces of kit and skills look like they should be costing more points than they do, given the price difference between Lizard & Gator. But the forum opinion seems to be rather that the Gator is over-eqipped, than Lizard is under-equipped.
    • Weapon-wise, they share Multi HMG. Also, Gator has an EM CCW where Lizard has a regular CCW, which is an advantage, but I'd say it is a highly-situational one (how often does one see a TAG engaged in a close combat with something suspectible to EM...?). Gator does also pack a Chain Rifle (inferior to Lizard's HFT as it has less damage, and no Continous Damage - but on the other hand, +1 Burst) and a mine dispenser (which, indeed, is potentially very useful). That's of course for the Lizard HFT variant. The GML variant has a DAM 15 Specultive Fire-capable weapon (with all its pros and cons, including relatively short range and the need for Spotlight / Forward observer, if you want to shoot it reliably) that is not comparable to anything in Gator's arsenal.
    Bottom line: Lizard isn't bad, it is perhaps a bit bland. But for years, Lizard was the benchmark MBT all other TAGs were compared to. Compared to Gator, I'd say the Gator is somewhat over-equipped, rather than Lizard being underequipped.

If you want to see a TAG that really badly needs rewriting, look at Iguana & Anaconda.

And one final tohught: Lizard, the current, original N1 model, is scheduled for phase-out in a few weeks. End of May 2022, IIRC. This makes me assume there is a resculpt coming. And with a new sculpt, perhaps new profile. So, here's soem hope that you'll see Lizzie rewritten :)

Elric of Grans likes this.
  3. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Plastic Lizard together with a Pilot model in one Box is my dream. One that won't come true.

toadchild and csjarrat like this.
  4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Just the Lizard? What about Gecko, Szally, Guijia, Raicho, Chernobog, O-Yoroi, Squalos, etc, etc, etc, that are also quite costly and bland in comparison. Not to raise an argument that's already been made, but... I'm kinda curious how the Gator has been performing on the table.
    If the Gator is still kind of fair, then maybe that's a sign that several of the TAGs ought to be revisited and adjusted to be reasonable compared to the Gator and if not then the Gator really should be brought in line with the others.

And on a related note, grenade launchers ought to have their +3 range band back. I know the Lizard never had it owing to the Heavy Grenade Launcher it used to have, but in the new reality I think the lack of +3 range band is an unwelcome feature.

WiT? and Elric of Grans like this.
  5. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Ah, the Nomads - faction which specializes in TAGs :D

Stiopa likes this.
  6. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Lizards 2nd profile is better than the original NCA Squalo ;P

chromedog likes this.
  7. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

*with pilot in one Box*
    [​IMG]

TBH, I'd be fine if they just release ONE generic Nomad pilot blister since they keep plopping out new TAGs before resculpting old pilots. Pilot should be Lizard pilot girl level hot, though.

8. Mahtamori

As with all things that are equal, opinions should diverge. I would value the Squalos more, but both are a bit lack lustre for their points cost as are most TAGs.

9. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

Just going to quibble this bit, EM CCw is probably the games best CCW (including mono) combines EM and normal so it's more fair to call it a DA CCw which saves on 1/2 BTS and causes isolation and IMM as well as wounds.

(generally agree with the rest of the posts content however)

DukeofEarl likes this.
  10. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Geckos are fine for cost, but the FT changes screwed them a little as they can no longer get a tinbot to protect them selves making their main issue one of current competitive game state, though they can still have a wildcat link with them to help mitigate that (either hacker or engi).

Also in regards to the etc. etc. etc., a special mention needs to be made regarding "the most advanced" human TAG, the Zeta, once again having that description thoroughly dumped on (Though it is probably the only TAG I use with any regularity, as there are fuck all equivalent options in SM for the role).

Mahtamori likes this.
  11. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

While we may, of course, agree to disagree here, my reasoning is - whatever CCW is on a TAG, it is dead weight except for very, very specific (and rare) situations.

In my entire Infinity experience, I recall one case of a TAG initiating close combat: Scarface against a Locust, somewhere in N3. Trying to chop the Locust down seemed preferable to trying to hit him thorugh that ODD and Cover (spoiler: it took a while, but Locust did prevail...).

I don't count the case when an Iguana tried to trample down a Ninja back in N2. "Trample" was TAG-specific skill that ignored normal CC rules, therefore circumventing Ninja's Close Combat prowess. And of course shooting wasn't viable due to TO Camo... Trampling opponents down went away with the advent of N3.

When a TAG gets into close combat, it is usually because the opponent initiated it - and did it with a model really proficient in CC, or at least despreate enough. I've had PanO TAGs chopped to pieces by McMurrough in a cloud of smoke. A Yuan Yuan doing the same to an Avatar (with a Booty-resulting Mono CCW). Al-Hawwa making a desperate run with D-Charges.

Yes, Gator's Natural Born Warrior and relatively high CC give it an edge in those situations. But still, most of those models you face are likely to get wasted if the TAG lands a hit on them. MBTs like Lizard or Gator have PH of 17, even without an additonal +1 CC Dam of the Gator this is difficult to deflect if they land a hit. So the additional effects of an EM CCW are going to be - nine times out of ten - just an overkill.

Now, I find the idea of Gecko being a CC-oriented, or rather, anti-CC-oriented TAG to be a very interesting one. Glad to see CB trying something out of the box, as there were TAGs that are good in CC before (say, Guija, with CC of 22 and MArts L2 on top of it, packing a DA CCW. Or O-Yoroi). Whether the execution of it is one up to my liking, well, that's another kettle of fish.

12. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Problem was than non-HGL Squalo was tons worse than Lizard ;)

13. Mahtamori

I was talking about the blank non-NCO version as well. I don't agree it's tons worse, I think it's marginally better.

14. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

High CC + Natural Born Warrior + E/M CCW are good. The idea is that you massively threaten anyone who wants to fight your TAG in CC... They lose their Martial Arts benefits, making it even more of a straight dice-v-straight dice roll off, and if the opponent loses, they get clouted by a hit that Isolates them, and prevents them from follow up with additional orders. The rules combine to form a defensive countermeasure to one of the big threats that TAGs regularly face.

Elric of Grans and DukeofEarl like this.
  15. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Agreed. Those skill are deterrent skills more than active CC skills.

barakiel likes this.
  16. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

You are aware that the Squalo do not have HFT (and used to) not have any template ?:P

17. Mahtamori

And you are aware that other people may put values on other strengths than you may?

18. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Sure, but other diff between Squalo and Lizard was +1BS

19. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Why are you ignoring the biggest things?
    • ECM Hacker -3
    • Remote Presence

20. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

This.

We just assume that TAGs should be the power that they are because that's what they've always been... all opinions like that should be challenged. Quite frankly, bland high stat dude has been a bad archetype in the game since it's inception so not sure why that would be any different just because the model in question is S7.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gator is pretty bad design. But this is because its strengths are specifically TAG weaknesses, not because it has too many of them.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation