1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tohaa Tactica

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Diphoration, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hi,

I've had some of my thoughts on Tohaa pinned in a Discord channel, but figured I could rehost it here as I have gotten questions that could be answered by some of those.

2. Diphoration

Warcor

Jaan Staar
    Why is he a super star?

Impersonation

The best "mobility" skill in the game, let's you start right up to the enemy DZ without a roll (saving you at the very least the equivalent of 6 Move skill). Marker state lets you move-move with absolutely no way to get hurt.

Survivability
    Jaan has 2 wounds, and can be equipped with a SymbioMate. the Symbiomate gives him ARM/BTS 9 and Total Immunity, it's not unrealistic to have games where Jaan acts as a Pseudo 3-5 wounds model.

Alpha strike potential
    Starting right next to your opponent means you can start applying damage right away, your entire turn can be spent on Jaan Staar shooting stuff. With him being survivable, it's very easy to keep spending orders on him and causing damage. A regular alpha strike usually wastes a decent amount of orders getting into place, Jaan doesn't. Jaan can very easily deny cover or reach CC due to the proximity he starts from the opponent, this makes his FtF odds very favourable.

The King of Forks
    Jaan can fork so many different AROs He has access to... Direct template weapon, FtF via Viral Pistol or CC, Pherowares Tactics via SymbioBomb. This combination means that you can always create forks to hit the opponent unopposed and with your SymbioMate, you'll likely tank the hit. This usually lets you go pass whatever the first road bump was so that you can reach the juicy easy to kill targets.

Dismantling Fireteams
    Jaan preys on fireteam HARD
    The idea scenario for Jaan is the following...
    Activate Jaan, moves within LoF (or even BtB) of a single fireteam member, within ZoC of a few other fireteam members.
    • If the opponent shoots with the trooper and idles with the fireteam...
      • You can B2 Endgame 1-2 members unopposed. You can template the trooper unopposed.
    • If the opponent shoots with the trooper and resets with the fireteam...
      • The trooper gets kicked off the team, making this a very easy FtF via Shoot or CC.
    • If the opponent resets with everyone...
      • You can kill the trooper unopposed, via Shoot or CC.
    • If the opponent dodges with the trooper and idles with the fireteam...
      • You can shoot the trooper versus a very easy to hit Dodge, via Shoot or CC. You can B2 endgame 1-2 members of the fireteam unopposed.
    • If the opponent dodges with the trooper and resets with the fireteam...
      • The trooper gets kicked off the team, making this a very easy FtF via Shoot or CC.
    All of these scenarios either break the fireteam, or lets you kill the leading member easily. In the cases where the trooper shoots you, you can simply tank the shot on your SymbioMate and once the fireteam is broken, you can tear it apart 1 by 1. A unlinked member is going to have a very hard time beating Jaan in FtF. It's very easy to deny cover or get into CC when you start so close to your opponent.

Bypasses the usual counter to Impersonator
    The usual counter to Impersonator is to simply box in the trooper with a 2 part model (Liberto Minelayer and Peacemaker are the usual best pieces for that) However, with SymbioMate, Jaan can easily just template the opposition and trade his SymbioMate while bouncing off the opposing templates. After which he can start his alpha strike run on easy to kill targets. (edited)

Wizzy, Nuada Airgetlam, KoG and 2 others like this.
  3. Diphoration

Warcor

Looting & Sabotaging Cheese
    Why are gratiné artichokes the best and why you should never play this mission

The Skeleton
    gyEFdG9oYWEKTCZTIENoZWVzZYEsAgEJAIUSAQMAAIYSAQEAjCODIQGMIwAAgocBi8IAAIKNAQIAjB2DIQGMHQAAgocBi8IAAIKNAQIAAIT7AQQAAgMAgsMBAwAAgs8BAQAAgs8BAQA%3D

The list contains the necessary part to perform the cheese, also has Eraser (Delegate), 2 SymbiBomb and 2 Taqeul to protect the AC2 (all of which works versus Eclipse this cheese). It also contains a Liberto (minelayer) to protect versus more traditional approach.

It also contains a very strong backup plan with Makaul eclise and DA CC and D-Charges on Sakiels in case you go second.

Deployment
    • Deploy Igao midfield, ideally on a roof or some hidden place where he can move forward without interactions.
    • Deploy Jaan and Greif next to the AC2.
    Active Turn
    • Move-Move with Igao.
    • Move-Eclipse with Igao to cover the AC2, Jaan and the Greif (speculative eclipse on 13s).
      • You got 4 orders to land one eclipse (98.49% chance).
    • Activate Jaan and declare Move-Dodge, clearing every deployable around the AC2.
      • It doesn't matter if Jaan dies, but he has a Mate so he probably won't.
    • Activate Greif and B2 CC the AC2 (+1B granted from Jaan).
    • Activate Greif and plant with no roll (use deployable mode) for the third charge.
    Edit: adjusted for how the AC2 behave now.

#3 Diphoration, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    Wizzy, KoG and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  4. Diphoration

Warcor

Reserved

Wizzy and KoG like this.
  5. Diphoration

Warcor

Reserved

Wizzy and KoG like this.
  6. Diphoration

Warcor

Reserved (Yeah, that's a lot of Reserved, but they'll be filled, don't worry!)

7. KoG

KoG Taagma Schemer

YAY TACTICA

Abrilete likes this.
  8. Angry Clown

Angry Clown Well-Known Member

and cant believe we have the best unit in spiral, which doesnt have a model sold in stores.

Wizzy likes this.
  9. kaos

kaos New Member

"Move-Eclipse with Igao to cover the AC2, Jaan and the Greif (speculative eclipse on 13s)."

Last time I checked igao doesn't have eclipse only access to mirrorball?

10. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

Mirrorball is Eclipse

11. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

It is also just an ammo type now, so it can be used in ARO as a face to face interaction, which is handy.

12. kaos

kaos New Member

Wow that's big.
    That's 'new' right? Hasn't always been eclipse.
    Gives me a good reason to run an Igao now.

13. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Previously (during N3) Mirrorball was Zero-visibility just for troopers with Multiespectral Visor. Personally I liked it more that way, it was a very useful tool against top tier Snipers or some Fireteams, and provided more interesting choices.

ChoTimberwolf and csjarrat like this.
  14. Geilt

Geilt New Member

I just saw the posts guys. I play Tohaa, and mirrorball is super on igao! Very strong piece. I played the mission where you need to get rid of HVT (forgot the name) and my opponent got rid of most of my aggressive triads. Then last round my Igao just goes move move in the open. Gets discovered on a second order. It puts the eclipse and survives the ARO due to mimetism, range and cover. re-camoes and then gets to around the corner of hvt in two orders (gets discovered again by then). On the last order shoots at HVT and kills. Game won. So highly recommend Igao. Although Jaan Staar is as good I hear - I am converting one so I can try it out :)

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  15. Geilt

Geilt New Member

P.S. agree previous mirrorball had its good use, but Tohaa is about denying opponents free kills and AROs, and choosing only the fights you want to take at close range with Makauls, Igao, Jaan or Kerail Preceptor etc.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation