1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The spirit of the forum

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by andre61, Aug 21, 2018.

1. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Is it me? but it seem like there is a lot of angry feelings on the forum's, well at least the parts I go to, as a Tohaa player I see a lot of angry topics about no new releases, which I do understand but we was given a heads up about it. CB did not leave any of us in darkness, I know that doesn't make any body feel better, but it is what it is, then there is PanO, most of us are upset about how our units stats are still stuck in N2 for the most part and then there is the new Varuna unit that is supposed to be coming out in November, you will think that would make a lot of PanO players happy, but NO! There is a group in PanOville, who is killing the mood by telling people you must paint your figures according to their will, last but not least there is YJ, I'm not a YJ player but I have heard somethings there, which I do understand. What can we do to make coming to the forum's fun again?

toadchild likes this.
  2. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

I guess this will be a good place to step up on my soap box.

Well CB firstly needs to reevaluate it's PR. This is pretty cut and dry with the case of Uprising. Yeah, you have a small majority throwing a fit over the lose of JSA profiles from vanilla but for most it was the lack of communication on YJ's immediate future. We knew IA was coming but we didn't know when (and we still don't). We had to wait 2 months until anything was talked about for IA. YJ players were left in the dark for 2 months. Anything related to YJs future needed to be talked about right after Uprising. No waiting to see if IA was going to be at GenCon or the Interplanetary. It should of been stated that YJ players should stay tuned for cool stuff coming up at GenCon and the Interplanetary instead of the wait and see bullshit. They need to be more upfront with info especially after a big faction upheaval like Uprising.

Second, it's time for CB to treat it's game as a living system. The hand wringing from the likes of PanO comes from the fact that lots of stuff is stuck in the N2 mindset while everyone else around them keeps getting updated for N3. Tunguska's release was just a match on dry tinder that has already been building for a while. The time of getting every faction/sectorial on parity with a book release every 4/6 years isn't going to work anymore. They have an army builder where they've already been giving out little updates to units. It's time to do some bigger and wider updates for the overall health of the game.

We have the November update coming. How much is going to get changed is still up in the air (CB needs to clarify what their general plans are with it). Not everyone will be happy with it but if it's done right it could please a lot.

That and I guess Tohaa need some new models.

Those are my biggest grips and I assume for many others. They're all fixable to one extent or another.

Hell, I'm still here. I'm very excited to see the force I first started playing get its sectorial (OperationS). I'm interested in seeing how IA and Varuna are going to shape up. See what's in store for the Shasvastii. And get back to playing games which I haven't been able to do in a long time. So, there's still fun around here but the optimism is low for a reason.

3. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

(Removed my post because its no longer relevant to this conversation :wink:)

#3 Click2kill, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Solodice likes this.
  4. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

5. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

You made me thought, here are my personal answers.

First: During my study i work in a callcenter for a mail order buisness. We learned, if a person is unpleased, she will tell it 7-10 persons, if the are happy, she will tell it 1-3 persons. Therefore it seems, that all people are only complaining.

Second: As a Tohaa player I get a lot of Tohaate (sometimes humorously ironic, other time ment seriously ). As an reaction, I don't miss a chance to get it back to the other faction (always humorously ironic).
    It's the way we are talking to each other. But you can't change all people and I think our discussion culture in this forum is way better then on FB.

CB's communication/news policy is a mess. Tohaa player don't get any information about the future other than that it will be great.
    I see YJ and I see Merovingian and I ask myself, will it be like one of these ways? Will our army be turned upside down? Will we lose anything and when, yes, what will we lose?

I can understand, that a company only talks about things which will really be done and are not only a concept, but you can't ignore the need for safety of your players.
    If CB would say, Tohaa isn't loosing anything in the upcoming event, it would be enough for me.
    But this darkness we have about the future is a big problem for me.

I don't think the topics people are complaining about are the reale source of their dissatisfaction.

I can understand, that PanO needs some updated for their army lists, but when I hear on the other hand, Tohaa are fine, cause the have strong rules and we don't need models, cause we have everything, I mentally flip the bird at the other factions.

fenren, andre61, jherazob and 4 others like this.
  6. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

7. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

There are some topics where people are overreacting and some where people are reasonably irritated, as always.

With regards to the game, I think it's the best it's ever been and most people would agree but have little issues they want to grind out, which contributes to a negative feeling at times. We are also very focused on points costs and minor details over looking for new and innovative tactics and practical options which is a shame.

8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Moved to off topic for now

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

Honestly, the impersonal nature of forums doesn't help with communication, it's too easy to ascribe negative connotations in the absence of face-to-face interaction. Literally every tournament, event or game night I have ever attended has been full of friendly, enthusiastic players who's sole goal is to enjoy the games.

Gripes and grumbles are an inevitable fact of life, they're just magnified online.
    Look, I've even come up with ways to use Bolts thanks to conversations on the PanO forums (and I barely even have to grit my teeth to do so).

AdmiralJCJF, Wolf, ijw and 5 others like this.
  10. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

I would respectfully like to offer a counterpoint to the OP.
    At the end of the day, this is just a game of wardollies. A lot of the hyperventilating people are doing is unwarranted in the grand context of life. A lot of the perceived negativity is over really super little things. If you can't appreciate that our game and community is fairing better than other TT gaming communities that's fine. But maybe its time you (not the op specifically, negative posters in general), took a break from the internet if a silly hobby is bringing you such strong negative emotions.

Its just a game. Grown mostly men, playing with overpriced metal dolls.

I will however say that Yu Jing players have legitimate grounds for grievance as uprising had the potential to result in a significant personal financial loss for them. Through no fault of their own.

11. Ben Kenobi

You apply double standards with this statement.
    If we want to change the spirit, those statements are poisn.

12. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

In what way exactly. It is you that assume that Shoitaan would consider dissappointment of any other group of players on that forum that were to found themselves in the EXACTLY same situation as non-warranted. It is an objective fact that Yu-jing (and Exrah in the past) players found themselves in unique situations in comparision to the rest of players. That's the exact opposite of double standards.

One could even make a case for Tohaa players concern being warranted since they are also in non-comparable situations to other groups. Hell, I would. But Shoitaan was strictly refering to financal side of things, and this does not apply to any other group than Yu-jing (or aforementioned Exrah).

#12 Niebieskooki, Aug 21, 2018
    Dragonstriker and Shoitaan like this.
  13. Shoitaan

Perhaps those statements are poisonous. My choice of expressions are not for everyone. That can certainly be up for debate. But I don't believe there were double standards in what I said.

The other part of my comments were about the trivial and meaningless arguments adults are having over SUPER SERIOUS MANDOLLY issues which will largely be addressed with the passage of more time (balance issues) or generally making a mountain out of a molehill (PanO can't have nice things but is still a tournament powerhouse apparently).

A situation where a customer purchases a product or a service and then product/service's utility is suddenly changed by the manufacturer AFTER purchase, that's a different matter. I'd be super pissed if my Samsung suddenly l lost its camera capabilities due to an intentional firmware update and required the purchase of a seperate device for me to regain use of what I already paid for.

If you're suggesting that its all trivial because its just a hobby then that's fine. But as someone that in the past has been through tough financial times don't fuck around when it comes to money. I'm not a Yu Jing or Tomb Kings player but I sympathise with those who were financially shafted by an decision of a company that had taken their money and changed the product post-purchase.

#13 Shoitaan, Aug 21, 2018
    Gunterx likes this.
  14. Ben Kenobi

Don't want to struggle with you, therefor :beers:
    For my part, I don't see my personal stance as the measure of all things and I'm trying always to understand the view of the others.
    In your example, the financial loss is a problem, but there are other problems too, which have nothing to do with money.
    If we don't respect the needs of other, we will spin in a circle on and on.

PS:
    My problem was, that he said, it is only a hobby, which I fully agree.
    But in the next sentence he negated this when he set the YJ Problem over all others cause of the focus on finacial loss.
    If we don't try to understand each other and their needs, we will allways have these struggle between the factions/players in this forum

15. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

This really only applies if they actually lost a unit. JSA's still a faction.

chromedog likes this.
  16. Shoitaan

@Ben Kenobi, In the grimdark bright anime inspired world of the Infinity future, there is no struggle, there is only bio-engineered cat girls. Unless you're an atek in which case no harm anyway XD
    My point was that two fishermen arguing about which is the best reel to catch a particular fish is on a different level to a fisherman who's pays for a fishing licence and a few months later has what that license entitles him to catch change drastically with no consultation. Something that has actually happened here in Australia many a time - but at least there a responsible government will start a licence buy-back scheme. Can't see shafted Yu Jing players trade in their few JSA minis for a partial refund unfortunately.

@kanluwen, modding and proxying use aside, an entire unit was written out of existence/Exrahed. Although again not being a Yu Jing player I can't name them and its 11pm on a worknight so I'm not going digging for the name XD

Dragonstriker and Gunterx like this.
  17. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Two units(Haramaki and Raiden) were the ones replaced/ditched--but even then, that's not a whole faction being made unplayable.

18. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

Raiden they were called. Their new equivalent in JSA is Ryuken but that's technically completely different unit. But matter of fact is that models were bought for Yu-jing armies and all of the sudden those models couldn't be used the way that they were marketed - which is part of yu-jing army. Sure - if someone collected JSA anyways it's not that much of a deal for him, but if soemone else possesed only 2 or 3 JSA units he has basically no use for them because he can't use them in Yu-jing neither in JSA since he doesn't have other models required for that. Proxying is obviously irrelevant to the discussion.

Shoitaan likes this.
  19. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

They were also remade into units that are effectively the same

Teslarod likes this.
  20. Commoner1

Commoner1 Well-Known Member

On certain specific topics this forum is very toxic. These topics are "Play by intent", "YuJing is boned", "PanO can't have nice things" or "Tohaa gets no releases". And I mostly ignore these topics because it's just people who spent lots of time and effort on this hobby and became excoriated over time on things they deem important. Personally I don't share any of these perceptions and I see no point in arguing about them.

But that's just 10% of these forum. The rest is actually very friendly, helpful and full of insights. I prefer to focus on these parts. :blush:

So if somebody asks if these forum is bad or toxic, I answer: "Just don't participate in bullsh*t arguments that lead nowhere and you're fine."

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation