1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Implicit Immuity (POS)

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Ugin, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Ugin

Ugin Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Here's the text from Total Control.

TOTAL CONTROL SHORT SKILL / ARO
    Comms Attack, Non-Lethal.
    Requirements

• The target must be an enemy TAG or a TAG in Possessed State.
    • The Pilot must be inside the TAG.
    You know, some TAGs such as Gorgos, Iguana, lack of Pilot Special Skill. Gorgos has Transmutation, and Iguana has Escape System instead.

Are those TAGs immune to Total Control, since they have no Pilot inside the TAG?

Well, Escape System implies that those TAGs have Pilots inside their chassis, but then unit profiles say they are 'Operators' rather than Pilots. This is quite confusing.

Edit: Also the Remote Pilots:
    Once the Remote Pilot dismounts and become IMM / Null / etc., and the player chooses to roll for Reset to regain control of the TAG, the Remote Pilot is 'removed' from the table. There's no line saying it 'gets back to the TAG', so you can control the TAG when it has no Pilot in it, eventually making it immune to being Possessed.

Edit 2: I made a typo in the title, how should I edit the title?:dizzy_face:

#1 Ugin, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  2. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

I think the errata points out pretty well that a operator is treated like aPilot in tearm of Total Controll and possession

chromedog likes this.
  3. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

No, they arre immune to Total Control because they have the Immunity (POS) special skill.

There is also the Avatar, that have the same skill. And it brings the Remote Pilot along.

Immunity (POS) and pilots (any type) are not related.

chromedog likes this.
  4. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

I would interpret the second bulletin like "in case there is a regular pilot, he has to be inside the TAG", but i know, i know... RAW....

Cause TAGs with an operator dont have Pilots, so do Gorgos (Transmute).

plz help me, i cannot find any immunite: POS on neither the Gorgos nor the Iguana. Just the lack of an Pilot.
    But i see the problem with the operators (or transmutating people inside a gorgos) to not have the pilot special skill.... wierd, to be honest. Iguanas beeing imun to POS seems very odd, same to anaconda

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

To be clear here. The question is more or less;

Total Control requires the target to have a Pilot "inside" as a requirement.
    1. Gorgos does not have a Pilot, even technically. Will Total Control fail requirements if it targets Gorgos?
    2. A Remote Presence TAG that has lost its Pilot does not have a Pilot "inside". Will Total Control fail requirements if it targets Gorgos?
    3. Stigmata has been shown without a REM Pilot. Will Total Control fail requirements if it targets Stigmata?

Of note is that the rules do not define what "inside" means.
    I'd suggest that the rules seem to mean, and should probably be;

The Pilot must be inside the TAG. ==> The Pilot must not be deployed on the table.

This wording would also adequately deal with the difference between a Pilot and an operator (or a light infantry with a huge symbiont).

Unless @psychoticstorm helps you I don't think it's possible. People will just have to read the question to understand the question.

6. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Sorry, didn't check. Misremembered that they had the skill!

7. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

As far as I know the intention of the rule is to not have your TAG stolen while the pilot is out, and not to give immunity to possessed state for TAGs that their pilots cannot leave the TAG, or they do not have pilots.

Jumara likes this.
  8. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

The intention, I think, is obvious; the rules as written, however, are yet another example of something that's plagued Infinity since at least N3 (possibly earlier; I did not play then): poorly written or undefined rules.

If the intention was that TAGs cannot be possessed while the Pilot is outside of their TAG, then the rules SHOULD SAY THAT.

The way it's written is roundabout; it's an attempt to implicitly infer a rule rather than stating it outright. The requirement should be removed and a point added that states that TAGs that have their Pilot on the board as a separate model are immune to being Possessed. Short, simple, gets straight to the point and with no wiggle room for interpretation or error. For player convenience, add the bullet point to the pages for Total Control, the Possessed State, and the Pilot skill so that anyone looking at any of the three will be able to see it, speeding up rules checks during a game.

The fact that the question "what happens if I'm in Cybermask and get off my Motorcycle" cannot be answered by looking at the pages for Cybermask, Motorcycle, or Impersonation is patently ridiculous.

I love the way this game plays, but trying to navigate its rules brings me no end of frustration.

Tristan228, Jumara and AmPm like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation