1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank, Defenders, Supports and ...

Discussion in 'News' started by anaris, Aug 4, 2018.

1. anaris

anaris Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Regarding Aristeia general classification i sometime struggle with definition.
    Once you agree that Lunah and Bill are long range Defenders like Overwatch then there's Close Range Attacker like Musachi or Massacre but Gata can't be classified as Attacker so how do you brand them?

Currently I tends to refer to them as Striker who get close to action to bring the points.

2. anaris

anaris Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I also saw the terme frontliner but caracters like 8Ball, Kozmo, Prism deserve this title as well though they are definitely Tanks

3. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

4. Croepoek

Croepoek Well-Known Member

Scorer for me as well

csjarrat, knlghth00d and tartopom like this.
  5. eronth

eronth Active Member

The terms I normally see are scorer, defender/tank, support, and damage dealer. Or something to that effect.

knlghth00d, volgo and Flipswitch like this.
  6. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Yeah, bingo, tend to sub-categorise damage dealers into range bands but this is it.

7. Fathi Amirmoez

Fathi Amirmoez Active Member

Official designations (that you can see on the character design dossiers) are Combat, Ranged, Tank, Support, Controller, Scorer.
    Some of them aren't necessarily where you'd expect them to fall (Murtair's a Tank, Hannibal's a Controller, etc.) but generally they're pretty well placed.

knlghth00d likes this.
  8. Spellbreaker90

Spellbreaker90 Well-Known Member

Remember that sometimes category stack.
    Example Kozmo for me is a hybrid tank/Support.
    If you are familiar with Moba you can use the game classification adding scorer as a category. The rest are the same Maxximus is a Tank, Valkyre is a bruiser, Musashi Assassin/Scorer, Wild Bill Marksman, Mendoza Supp and so on.

9. Lukewarm

Lukewarm Member

Here's a list of all the categories and which character belongs to each, taken from the official designations.

Tank: Maximus, 8-Ball, Valkyrie, Kosmo, Murtair, Prysm
    - General Traits: High health and defense.

Combat: Miyamoto Mushashi, Senor Massacre, Final Boss, Shona Carano
    - General Traits: Melee damage dealer.

Ranged: Wild Bill, Major Luna, Dart, Koorie Queen
    - General Traits: Ranged damage dealer

Support: Parvati, Laxmee, Padre-inquisidor Mendoza, Eclypse, Oberon
    - General Traits: Healing, Buffing, Debuffing.

Controller: Hexx3r, Hannibal, Taowu
    - General Traits: Moving characters, Activating characters when not active, Making opponent discard cards.

Scorer: Gata, Bixie
    - General Traits: Extremely good mobility.

These are more general guidlines as characters such as Valkyrie is more of an off-tank and Padre-inquisidor Mendoza is a healer whereas Laxmee is a buff/debuff and state managment character.

#9 Lukewarm, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

I imagine that these categories are most helpful to compose a balanced team or to game a specific scenario such as "Carnage"

11. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

It's very interesting how people break this down. I'll be doing a video series covering my personal thoughts on the matter.

That_McNs_Guy and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  12. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

It depends often on how you are playing the Characters. Kozmo is a support, but in your team it could be played as the scorer. 8-Ball is a controller, but if you leave him in the middle of the fight, he'll do well as a tank.

:wink:

knlghth00d likes this.
  13. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Very curious on what your definition of support is for Kozmo to fall under that category

Can you elaborate?

14. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Well, just simply in my experience is more important to me his role as a support than as a tank. To me he's a support/tank and not a tank/support.

Flipswitch and rag1n like this.
  15. anaris

anaris Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Thanks @-V- for ease of explanation I tend to explain that each expansion team has one of the 4 core role (Tank, Support, Range DamageDealer/Overwatch Defender, Scorer/Attacker) with a twist!!!

16. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

That's right. When designing an expansion we don't like to repeat main roles so the expansion is the more assorted.

:wink:

knlghth00d likes this.
  17. AdaptUK0

AdaptUK0 Podcast co-host

I've been working on my own classifications for this at the moment.

The goal is to help new players understand how each of the characters works, without getting into the stats. It also helps me define a balanced team when going into events or playing the tournament formats (8 character selection).

My current role list blends types found across MOBA games (e.g. DOTA) or Overwatch and are as follows;

DPA
    An Aristo that can deal a significant amount of damage with or more of their attacks.
    Support
    An Aristo that can focus less on scoring and kills, and more on using their actions to gain an advantage for the team.
    Disabler
    An Aristo that has one or more attacks or abilities that can impose negative states to the opposing Aristos.
    Durable
    An Aristo that can last longer and soak damage through health, defence and/or abilities.
    Elusive
    An Aristo that the ability to avoid death through abilities or states
    Initiator
    An Aristo that is good at starting a teamfight.
    Scorer
    An Aristo that can focus on moving and scoring instead of engaging enemies.
    Tactician
    An Aristo that uses their actions to manipulate tactic cards and/or other Artisos in the Hexadome.
    Control
    New role [characters who others don't want to get close to, hold zones well, control the flow, still not defined]

Each character is assigned a primary and a secondary role to help provide a 'focus' to each profile.

I should add that this is all WIP, and my own thoughts/opinions but welcome other peoples constructive ideas.

Here are 3 examples of DPA heroes from the core set, but how their primary/secondary types help improve clarity on their role;

Musashi | DPA, Initiator
    Lunah | Disabler, DPA
    Wild Bill | DPA, Tactician

I don't see this as an exhaustive list, some roles may be added, or removed. But I'm pretty happy how it's shaping up.

#17 AdaptUK0, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Egape and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  18. tartopom

tartopom Well-Known Member

Some characters are hard to categorize. But I like to go with generic types such as "Tank", "Close Combat DPS", "Heal", "Scorer", "Ranged DPS"...

Also, these categories are submitted to players feeling. Some may all agree, like Gata = Scorer. But other might be different. For example, I'm not considering Prysm as a tank. Or not fulltime tank.
    I totally understand why she is considered as such, but I use her as a DPS.

But all this is just categories. You'll all agree when I say they all kick asses. No ?

knlghth00d likes this.
  19. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

I like your list, but I find some terms still unclear, what's the difference between Durable and Elusive? Control is pretty undefined yet, obviously, so I won't inquire on that. I don't understand what an Initiator role really is, what do you mean "starting a teamfight"?

For the record, my categories are mostly Tank, Scorer, Controller, Support, Debuffer, and, of course, meat grinder, but they don't describe the Aristo in a vacuum, they describe their role in a certain team. For instance, we could have Murtair exclusively as Meat Grinder, but in a team without Gata or Bixie, he can also perform well as Scorer and Controller. Another example is hExX3r, which I find does an excellent job as Controller, but also as Scorer when the need arise.

Tank
    Aristo in charge of keeping the rest of the team alive by making him/herself the target of attacks.
    Maximus, Mr. Massacre, Prysm.

Scorer
    High mobility aristo focused on finding ways to reach otherwise unreachable places.
    Gata, Bixie.

Controller
    Aristo focused on changing the mobility state of the characters in the hexadome, by displacing others, bullying them into melee with their strong :R:, or tagging them with states such as :G: or -2:U:.
    8-Ball, hExX3r, Lunah, Valkyrie.

Support
    Aristo with non-confrontational abilities that usually targets allies, or the player (like drawing cards).
    Parvati, Mendoza, Laxmee, Oberon.

Debuffer
    Aristo that applies negative states on targets, or force the player to discard cards.
    Laxmee, Taowu, Eclypse.

Meat Grinder
    Aristos that roll at least :+::,:, but have extra :,: or :2:in most of their attacks. Musashi is a special case since he can switch his :1: for :2:, making his :,: and :-: even more dangerous than the others.
    Wild Bill, Musashi, Lunah.

The smoke state is an interesting case in which I find it's a debuff, but I'm tempted on calling it a control tactic. Thoughts?

tartopom and anaris like this.
  20. Numazokola

Numazokola Well-Known Member

Just to add a little twist to the thing... each aristo can perform more than one role, and he is unable to do other roles just because (like taowu cant do damage). So depends in your team composition and your preference what role that aristo is accomplishing.

My example here: 8-ball, Massacre, Dart and taowu.
    I decide to play massacre very offensive as a DPR, and taowu as a support following him (looking to freeze opponents and making the enemy discard). Dart and 8-ball in the other side will be the scorers (Dart going double move almost always, safe because hidden, and attacking just if somebody else is about to score; and 8-ball always in last activation, messing up the enemy plans displacing annoying aristos, and putting my dart into scoring zone).

and worked great!

so think about your options and your tactics... be creative and surprise your enemy.

as Vince McMahonagy says "dont blink or you will miss it"

knlghth00d, anaris, Croepoek and 2 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation