1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

taken the plunge

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Dfspawn, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dfspawn

Dfspawn Member

well its finally happened I have adhered a symbot suit and joined the ranks .
    since i only have the tohaa 300pt starter i was looking at what is a good couple of packs to get some variety.
    looking at the following
    KERAIL PRECEPTORS
    KAAURI SENTINELS
    GORGOS SQUAD

are these a good addition?
    or are there better suggestions
    thanks
    dfspawn
    what is base is the sniper on?

#1 Dfspawn, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Cothel and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  2. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

3. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

The blogs are great otherwise Gorgos not that interesting for Tohaa, not bad but rarely taken, kaauris nice cheap defenders, kerail only smoke. Other good units: Sukeul, Gao-Rael

Thaddius, Dfspawn and Abrilete like this.
  4. Sora9785

Sora9785 Well-Known Member

In tohaa you can take everything. There is no really bad Modell per se. I would only suggest not playing limited insertion (10 order lists) because it is not tohaas strenght

5. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

The Kerail and Symbiobeasts are solid for their price. It's a great unit to run at your opponent and scare the hell out of them. The beasts dodge on an 18 and if you can keep the Kerail behind them you might be able to make it across the table without getting hit. They are the only regular smoke in the army, but with a PH of 11 (or 10 after you lose your armor) they are not reliable smoke. The 20 point Submachine Gun with the single Surda is an excellent disposable unit to take down an opponent's flank, or to even wreck an entrenched fireteam.

I always field at least one Kaauri. They are excellent little annoyances. If you run into regular Camo they got you covered. When it comes to Impersonation, they are the best in the game for detection. If someone tries to take them out through smoke, they can shoot back without penalty. They are cheap sentinels who will help keep your opponent's sneaker units from being as much of a pain in the ass.

The Gorgos is a touchy subject for Tohaa players. It's a better unit than it used to be, but it still has it's issues. Best BS and ARM in the Tohaa army, but it's also not reparable with the exception for using a symbiobomb on itself with the Revitalis support tactic. Once the Symbiont Armor is gone, no more TAG. If it gets hit with anything fire it can die despite being at full health. Most Tohaa players insist that if you are running this unit you must put a Symbiomate on it. While I don't think any unit we have requires a Symbiomate, I can see the argument. It's a lot of points, but it also has a lot of tricks. I'd say buy it if you really like what it does. I have enjoyed using mine, but it's not for everyone.

6. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

The blister of 2 Gao-Rael repacked is quite good adition

Kerail are good too

The Gorgos, maybe i suggest you to buy the 2 sukeul first?

7. Strapingyunglad

Welcome artichoke! I recently started with the 300pt box as well. I just got the GAO Rael and two sukeul commandos, ive been getting a lot of use out of them. I would also suggest getting the spec ops model to use as a good proxy, that way you can try out new units you aren’t sure about.

8. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

If you're keen and can get another 2 makauls they're pretty neat. 13pts for Esmoke, HFT and beastly CC makes for a great filler unit/triad.

Dfspawn likes this.
  9. Dfspawn

Dfspawn Member

Thanks for the advice I will look at all the mentioned figures and put my order in .
    hopefully I wont make them look like someone hit them with paint splashes
    but looks like my next months free time is now taken

Thaddius, Abrilete and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  10. Safetyfirst

Safetyfirst Member

Firstly the Tohaa box is amazing value both cash wise and the model value game wise as well

Now for the boring bit. I actually think the best purchase after the starter box are Chaksa auxilar. Boring I know, but the starter box all ready provides the player with 2 to 4 ramboo options and/or super awesome basic triad options. What all those options need is orders to achieve there goals. Basically, you get 4 makauls in the starter box, not using all 4 models is a crime, because Makuals transtates into E.smoke which gives a player a safe way to get his models into position, once positioned you need orders to achieve your goals, thats why 10pt Chaksa's the best buy, they provide all the fuel the starter box needs for its F/Os to push buttons, its Kotail or AD to rip up the opponents back field, for a Makaul/Sakiel V.combie triad to E.smoke straight up mid field and go full ramboo.

A 10pt Chaksa auxliar are another superbly valued model, his skills make him a great little defender in its own right. I can honestly say I've never made a list without atleast 2 of these guys, because imho Tohaa do better with extra orders, because they have the tools to get more out of their well valued models.

Dfspawn and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  11. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

I am still proxien the auxiliars with the chaksas from rasail and kumotail ;)

Safetyfirst, Dfspawn and Abrilete like this.
  12. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

Point for point, LI missions are the best for Tohaa, as we bring the most amount of wounds to the table. You can easily get 20 wounds in a LI environment, something that other factions will struggle to do.

momo234 likes this.
  13. Thaddius

Each to their own. I struggle Vs LI lists as Tohaa. Main reason being we don't have our own core HI link team or any core link team. In an LI environment these can absolutely dominate.

14. rupertk

rupertk New Member

But the same can be said for any non sectorial faction? Personally that isn't a reason to view tohaa being weak in LI.

Cothel likes this.
  15. Thaddius

Yes I agree that vanilla factions struggle against HI link teams. I do wish overall vanilla had more answers to HI links which I do think are very strong in LI. Other vanilla factions do not get some ways of dealing with HI links. Some get more than others. Outside of a medium ranged TAG Tohaa don't have a BS 14 unit or don't get a something like Spetnaz that can shoot a target number of 15. We can't do infowars like nomads can or send in a Kriza.

I'm not saying that Tohaa are unable to fight HI link teams. We do have some answers in the Sukeul HMG. Outside of a Riot Grrl link or a Marks Bot Link (Unidrons/Druze Core) it can manage. HI links I feel also chip away at the relative advantage of wounds that Tohaa usually have. Other vanilla factions have their own problems. Haqq/Ariadna that rely more on trading wounds can struggle. They do have units and combos that can work though anything that can increase vanilla's access to good answers to HI link teams in LI would be nice.

16. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

Assault Hackers are the best typical answer to HI links. Last year, when I wasn't playing Tohaa, if I brought a Killer Hacker, then I also brought an Assault Hacker. Players have become very narrow in their fear of KHDs. Assault Hackers remain the best single answer to TAGs and HI links. With a KHD backup, there is nothing to fear.

In Tohaa, your best answer to HI links is the K1 Sukeul, Makauls, Igaos, and the Taqeul's Symbiobugs. There are few problems that a Sukeul Triad cannot solve. Also do not forget the strength of templates when combined with a Sakiel's Nimbus Plus grenades.

Cothel likes this.
  17. Safetyfirst

Safetyfirst Member

I mean this as an actual question. Is that actually a thing? Do people use that tactic over E.smoke and H.flamers or E.smoke and Close or combat. Ive found with the Makual(s) as the standard thing to do. Maybe its because I'm finding alot of HI links will have something that will make low vis less effective.

18. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

The thing is that by using a Nimbus Plus grenade + Makaul's HT combo you're getting two HT shots per order thanks to the Triad bonus, and all this by spending just two orders. With Eclipse + HT you get only one shot per order and if you fail the WIP roll for Intuitive Attack, you're forced to spend more orders assuming there are targets left. Which is something you aren't usually willing to do, because Objectives.

rupertk likes this.
  19. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

Not quite correct: Unless you have two different targets to overlay the templates upon, no, it is B1 across Nimbus. This is still usually better than Eclipse+Templates, since Nimbus+Templates is not dependent on a WIP roll, and imparts a PH-6 to the victim's Dodge attempt.

Even this basic triad is able to threaten any HI fireteam:

[​IMG] SAKIEL (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Nimbus Plus Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
    [​IMG] KOSUIL Engineer Boarding Shotgun, D-Charges, Panzerfaust / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    [​IMG] MAKAUL Heavy Flamethrower, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, Viral CCW. (0 | 13)

0.5 SWC | 56 Points

@Safetyfirst, yes, people do this, though not as often as they should. It is easy to forget that most Sakiels have Nimbus Plus Grenades, since Nimbus is a generally worthless option, or so consercase in its usefulness as to be worthless. Don't forget the option when your triad has a Nanopulser or Heavy Flamethrower.

#19 Magonus, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Safetyfirst, Cothel and rupertk like this.
  20. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

That was my implication, since we were discussing how to deal with HI link teams.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation