1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tabletop ideas needed

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by injenegr, Aug 13, 2018.

1. injenegr

injenegr Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

Some monts ago i've decided to made a home table, and so far i'm satisfied with the progress. Battle mat, large buildings, most of small scenery items are bought, but i got no idea where to put it. The tabletop as one piece (48*48) is too large to be stored, all of transforming tables i've managed to find are 24*48, so not much easier to store in a 'gaming room'.

So, the questions are: what surfaces do you use for your home tables?
    And, if those surfaces are specifically designed to be used for table games, how do you store it?
    Or maybe some of you know a transforming mechanism for a table to made it at least 12'*24'?

Thanks in advance!

2. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

The items I have are a folding table that I use for camping as well and some 2ft x 2ft MDF squares that I got cut at a hardware store.

Folding Table- https://www.bunnings.com.au/lifetime-6ft-bi-fold-blow-mould-trestle-table_p3192213
    MDF squares - https://www.bunnings.com.au/customwood-mdf-2440-x-1220-x-6mm-standard-mdf-panel_p0590022

You need to be careful not to lean on the table edge though if you have a smaller dining table that can fit the squares it works. I'd consider going to a thicker 9mm panel but I transport the boards for tournaments and the weight is a killer on the 9mm boards surprisingly. The squares may not be exactly 2x2 but you can shift them out and have a gap. The mat should cover the area and provided you have a board at the corners everything is generally secure.

You could get the boards cut to 12"x24" though remember you're loosing a few millimeters per cut as well.

You should be able to get most of the materials at a hardware store.

chromedog likes this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I use 2 boards of 60x120cm and 4 folding trestles. That costed me about 40 bucks or so, is very stable, and easy to store if needed. Now, if you don't need to fold the whole system (like I do, since it's the guest's room XD), then 2-3 small bookcases that place the board at the same height 2 trestles would do, could be used to keep a permanent half, while the other can be stored on top and the trestles resting on the wall.

4. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

5. kesharq

kesharq Lucky Dice-Roller

I use two 24inchx48inch MDF-Boards (1,5cm thick). Each board is spraypainted in a hexagonal pattern.
    The boards are stored in my cellar. For gaming I place them on my kitchen table with some rubber netting (bought at a swedish furniture discounter) beneath it.

chromedog likes this.
  6. injenegr

injenegr Well-Known Member

So, looks like there's no magic solution, only large pieces. Will consider storing them in some unused corner)

Thanks for answers)

7. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Like thaddius, my table is 2 pieces of 1200x600 mdf (mine is 12mm thickness).
    I have a folding table (it's 900x720 extending to 1800x720) to put it on should I need to, but it also fits onto my dining table (where one of those rubberised mesh non-slip mats stops it sliding around. I also use 2 55mm foldback clips to hold the pieces together (although the next board will use pins, screws and locking bars).

8. Mroowkojad

Mroowkojad Member

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation