Synthwave/Vaporwave JSA

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, Dec 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Another army, another thread.

I've been painting a JSA army for a friend of mine over the last two years. I've originally shared some of it in my Nomads thread last year, but since that's exclusive reserved to Nomads now, they need a new home. Also, I just finished the project, so I thought it would be nice to share.

In order to not overwhelm readers of this thread with a wall of pictures, I'll post them bit by bit over the coming weeks and months.

To know what's coming though and to give an overview of the army, here are group pics of the three waves they were commissioned in. It's about 60 models in total.

Part 1
    [​IMG]
    Part 2
    [​IMG]
    Part 3
    [​IMG]

2. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

Such a lovely army! The new O-Yoroi looks so cool in your colors!

kesharq and burlesford like this.
  3. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

Really digging the neon colours! In photo number 3, where do the scenery pieces come from?

burlesford likes this.
  4. Sanakism

Sanakism Member

Looks like the Sálvora (Wildfire) buildings, on the paper mat from Icestorm?

5. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

The pvc mat is a lovely one that was sold by Microartstudios. Regrettably not in production anymore

6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind replies! The terrain is from Crimson Stone and Kaldstrøm, and the paper mat is indeed from icestorm :)

Before we get into the unit pictures, a few more words about my process for this army. The color scheme came to be after I painted a single JSA mini for my friend and just wildly experimented with some colors. The result was some vaporwave-themed cyberpunk stuff:

[​IMG]

My friend was very happy with it and asked me if I could do his whole army in that style. However, since I didn't have the time to paint everything at that same level (the Ryuken was all done by brush), I needed a method that allowed me to get similar results, just much faster.

To that end, I decided to try an oil color method taught by Marco Frisoni (here's a link to the specific technique). Basically, you start with a zenithal white primer over black, then create the gradients by wet-blending oil colors on the models. After letting it dry for half an hour, you dab away the excess paint to get the volume from the zenithal highlight to shine through again and give you some easy shades and highlights.

I'm sure I didn't execute the technique perfectly, but it worked well enough to allow me to paint most S2 models in 1-2 hours (the bigger ones took longer of course).

Alright, enough theory. Let's begin the unit shots with the basic line infantry, the Keisotsu. I painted six of these in total, as well as Yuriko Oda, who I decided to paint in the same color scheme. Compared to the rest of the army, it's very basic, with only two gradients: Red to yellow and green to purple:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 burlesford, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  7. Law Dawg

Hey, those traitorous Keisotsu are still wearing Yu Jing colours!

Jokes aside, being able to paint S2 models in 1-2 hours is fast! I will need to check out this technique. Your paint scheme works very well. I've been thinking about doing something similar to this for Aleph, whenever I get to finish my Yu Jing.

I've been looking at the CB cardboard terrains as some simple budget terrain. Are they worth getting?

burlesford likes this.
  8. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

Very cool concept!

I see that you have reposed the SMG to .. hem ... show more of the torso on that Ryuken
    I've done the same :p

9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Well, it was so hard to paint her... accurately otherwise...

Since we're talking about Ryuken – here are the rest of them. Apologies for the bad picture quality of the old one, I didn't get a chance to reshoot them since then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

Those ryukens are lit :A: and I love the way the pattern looks on the HRLs!

Also I find it intriguing that your friend also reached the same line of thought that I once did that you only really need 1 SMG ryuken-9... but you may need up to 3 HRL ryuken-9!

burlesford likes this.
  11. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! And yes, at some point my friend decided he wanted to try and play JSA as an all-camo/HD list. So he went all the way up to 3 HRL Ryuken in the process ;)

Speaking of hidden deployed models, here's the first of his characters, a Saito Togan converted from the Outrage ninja Nakadai and the old Saito Togan head. Gave him a unique gradient with a red/green contrast:

[​IMG]

12. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

If there's one thing you can't have enough of in a JSA army, it's bikes. Which is my friend got himself four of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Happy new year everyone! Let's kick this year off with the most iconic character of the faction who's never put on a table except as a proxy – Miyamoto Musashi:

[​IMG]

redeemer, RolandTHTG, Oni and 8 others like this.
  14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

More blade wielders that have a hard time justifying their points costs: – the Shikami (I painted a second one, but unfortunately I lost the pictures):

[​IMG]

redeemer, Oni, Space Ranger and 7 others like this.
  15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Let's share the big boy now, shall we? Here's the new O-Yoroi, complete with Koalas and the LE stripper uuuh pilot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

That O-Yoroi looks lovely, also reminds me I still need to do my V1 Achilles to O-Yoroi pilot conversion.

burlesford likes this.
  17. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

To be entirely honest I am amazed by the colour theme, I would have never dared to try something so complex and easy to go wrong at each brushstroke.

18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Can you go wrong easily though, or can you not go wrong at all? XD Seriously, if you decide to paint all the colors of the rainbow, you basically can't mess up. At least that's what it felt like to me during painting.

19. Law Dawg

But in your case, the colours worked and you made it look so easy!

burlesford likes this.
  20. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I will say that by using oil colors, it actually kinda is. You choose a gradient, mix the tone you want on the palette, and then wet blend it all on the miniature. Afterwards you just have to go back and fill in the details. But I'm afraid I start sounding like a humblebrag, so I'll stop here.

Speaking of color theory, however, I'm curious to hear what you think about the colors used on this Dragon Lady's umbrella. It was a last minute choice to add a freehand to the original green-yellow gradient, and I like it, but every time I look at it I'm not sure if it's not too crazy.
    [​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation