1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SymbioBombs and you

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by n21lv, Sep 12, 2018.

1. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

Howdy! For two years, I was mostly using Kaeltars for Chain of Command and Mates, but now I'm getting more and more interested in trying the Bomb loadouts. What Tactics do you use? Why? Is assigning a Mate and a Bomb on a Sukeul ML a good idea? I thought of using this to counter HMG+MSV2+Smoke tricks, but I'm really interested in what other Tactics could be useful. Share your thoughts (in pheromonic, of course), comrades!

RazorWing and Wolf like this.
  2. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

I generally do not like to use a 'bomb on a Sukeul ML because white noise does not convey the 'special dodge' aspect smoke does, (meaning it would just be 2 normal rolls), and if I want to use the Sukeul on the active turn it would have to be out of sight to set up white noise before taking out a MSV target.
    I often use a 'Mate and 'Bomb on a Kerail if I need a Data tracker to kill a designated target, or if I want rush deep into the opponents deployment zone. The 'Bomb allows you to to set up disadvantageous ARO options for your opponent, especially if you jump a Surda onto them. You can also use the 'Bomb on the Kerail to create the white noise for your Sukeul ML to clear a path for the Kerail.
    The bombs are also useful on the Ectross or Gorgos because they can give you a response if a hacker attacks you within your ZOC.

Going over the attack tactics:
    Endgame is a straight forward attack for when you really need to cause a wound. I rarely use it in ARO because despite it being DAM 14, it has no special ammunition, and provides no mods to the roll.
    Eraser is great for stopping a unit activating outside your LOF, and is my favorite to use in ARO to stop a rambo unit by Isolating them. It gives a -3 Mod to the opponent, and while only DAM 13 is DT.
    Hellzone is one I do not think I have ever used. There is some potential for active turn use if you have extra orders to follow up with as you can Immobalize 1 a target and then attack it on a normal roll. It also provides a +3 MOD to the attack roll and is also DAM 13 and DT.
    Pandemonium can be very powerful on the active turn due to its 3 burst, DAM 14, and Breaker. It will only cause Stun, but that effect will last until the end of the turn, so if you have the orders you can follow up with more attacks and they will be at a -3 to Dodge.

The support tactics:
    FirstAid gives any Symbiote unit the ability to play doctor to any other Symbiote unit, and because it does not require line of sight you can bring back a unit in much more difficult to reach places. The Taquel, Kosuil, or Neema all have WIP 14, for a higher success rate when attempting this skill.
    Mirrorball creates a White Noise zone so you can take out those pesky MSV ARO pieces.
    Nimbus Sphere creates a Nimbus zone, but I have never found much use for this as the other tactics do not require as much nuance to gain a benefit from, and you can now take a Kauuri that can pop these up, so it seems like a waste of a 'Bomb to attempt.
    Revitalis gives back a wound to a wounded symbionte unit, but the unit has to still be in the Active Symbiote state, so the only units that can even be targets for this are Neema Saatar, Ectross, Rasail, and Gorgos. I have never tried it, but there is no negative for attempting this other than loosing the 'bomb, so it could be useful in getting a unit up to full strength before getting back into the fight.

ChoTimberwolf and Abrilete like this.
  3. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

My idea was to place both a Mate and a Bomb on a Sukeul ML and set it to ARO. I rarely use her as an attack piece, but when my opponent pops their Intruder or anything else with an MSV2, you just spend a Mate and ARO with spending a Bomb on Mirrorball. It will be a Normal roll, so your chances are far more higher than if you'd try to shoot back. More so, if you succeed with the WIP roll and there were no Crits from the MSV2 model:
    • You just made your Sukeul ML totally invisible to any model with any level of MSV.
    • Your adversary now has a hard choice: try to Move (Prone) + Dodge with the MSV2 trooper to hide ir from your Sukeul ML, or just let it stay where it is and hope that you won't shoot them in your Active turn.
    • Now your adversary has to spend a lot more orders to try to dislodge the Sukeul with troops not having any MSV, and they are not usually in their best range bands to do so, AND the best they can hope for is to shoot her at -6 (assuming no Marksmanship is involved).
    • Now your adversary has to rethink their strategy, as (that's just a broad assumption, but a plausible one) many people who rely on the MSV2+Smoke trick probably never think of a backup plan. So, you forced them to use more orders on moving under Smoke cover and/or making a few uneven exchanges.
    • Congratulations, your Sukeul has just disrupted your opponent's whole turn!

Grathak and nehemiah like this.
  4. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

The thing to think about when employing this tactic is if they throw smoke and shoot through it because I am pretty sure that would limit your ARO choices to firing back, or dodging, unless they activated within your ZoC.

5. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

Oh. I didn't think of that. Indeed, if you're shot from a Zero-visibility zone, you can only shoot at -6 or Dodge. Back to tile #1 then..

6. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

I use 2 in the offensive triad. Useful for forcing the dodge/reset choice, or for picking one up when they go down. Honestly if they had CoC I would bring them over mates every game

Sora9785, Henshini and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  7. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

I'd like to see pheroware tactics be available on more units (like the Kaauri). An attribute bonus here would be useful for this unit given that a nimbus zone seems to be the way CB want us to deal with strong defensive links. Given that other factions get this naturally through their own link teams or gun fighters Tohaa still lack that piece that can take on a Riot Grrl link or buffed Dakini link without the support of a nimbus zone.

Additionally I think support tactics for Tohaa could use something. A failed attempt at mirrorball shouldn't expend the bomb for example. Maybe be expended after a success??

Zsolt and Abrilete like this.
  8. Hiereth

Hiereth AI Artichoke

I think bombs in general need some work, Kaeltars as a whole probably. Would be nice to see some more pheroware around too, ideally in the form of a proper pheroware "hacker".

9. SirTycho

SirTycho Well-Known Member

Symbiobombs have been one of the reasons why I started with Tohaa at all. Unfortunately, I find your rules really bulky - so I'm a little scared to play them.
    It would definitely be great if CB could achieve a meaningful balance between Bombs and Mates.

Thaddius and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  10. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I've tried multiple times to swap mates for bombs, and am constantly disappointed. Getting one shot on an ability, failing the WIP and it being wasted, vs near-guarenteed invulnerability is a really poor deal.

Multiple uses per bomb, expenditure only on success, or at the very least bombs having their own AVA independently from mates would have them see more table time IMO. Theres definitely some play to be had by giving your heavies a jammer or brainblast effect, and the occasional opportunity to jank opponents with mirrorball etc, but it is just too unreliable and competing with something that is not only fantastic but also very reliable.

Fingers crossed for Tohaa "phacker" next year, would love to have unlimited uses on these abilities.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation