1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superfluid's SlowPaint Haqqislam

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Superfluid, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Superfluid

Superfluid Welcome to Svalarheima

Hey all, i'm really inspired by all the work you lot put out there in this forum and I want to develop as a painter so i'm creating this thread as a way to help keep motivation up to continue to submit work, as well as to ask questions about colour theory and suggestions on how to develop technique.

I've been acquiring Haqqislam at a ridiculous rate over the last 6-9 months or so and have tried starting to paint it once already. I was very dissapointed with the results as I felt I was rushing it to get to the table, so i've stripped what I first did and have started again, focusing on doing some early steps with my new airbrush and trying to put extra care into small details. I've reached a peak of over 30 Haqq models and have only just finished painting the first 4 :O My intent was to focus on predominantly HB but I I seem to have wandered into just picking up models I think are cool. Unfortunately for me I think most of them are cool, and I don't even have a single Chickenbot yet (which is an inevitability)

My first army was PanO which I didn't weather any of my units, partially through lack of consideration but also lack of skill. On my new Haqq specifically i've been trying to add scratches, scuffs and dirt in places where I think it might have gotten.

What compounds things is the new Druze Bahram sectorial, that's such a perfect x-over for me in terms of units but it does somewhat encourage me to pick up even more things to add to the backlog. What to do...

Also, I want to improve my photography. i'm pretty noob level, just borrowing my partners DSLR and messing around with aperture and ISO settings trying to get something halfway decent. I need a lightbox, I see this now. Tips on this are also very much appreciated.

Anyway, here are the first 4 I've completed.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm thinking this green colour i've used for the firing arc isn't correct. I think I need to go lighter, to olive. My PanO used a comparable flat blue colour for their fire arcs but this just doesn't seem to sit right with me.

What i'm working on next https://imgur.com/a/GxNXg

Whats shameful is that the picture in there of my unpainted Haqq isn't even all of it, there are some unbuilt in my drawer :)

Thanks for peeping in.

#1 Superfluid, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Nice work with the Ghulam. I like the chosen colours. Keep them comming :yum:

Superfluid likes this.
  3. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Right on! These look fantastic. I personally have an issue with photography as well. I think the only way to get better is practice. :smiley:

Superfluid likes this.
  4. Superfluid

Doesn't help the 'snow' gaming mat I used as a bg ended up coming pink so I think it might be tricking the eye a little, as you expect it to be closer to white. Or maybe that's just me because I know what it looks like.

5. KwarkyMats

KwarkyMats Well-Known Member

Looks great! What paints did you use for the skintone?

Superfluid likes this.
  6. Superfluid

Sunny Skintone base
    Medium Fleshtone wash
    Cavalry brown + Medium fleshtone glaze as a lowlight glaze
    Sunny skin tone + basic skintone highlights glazing, using a shifting ratio towards basic skintone. Occasionally mixing with a little bit of off white for a super highlight to just touch the tippy tops of ears or noses.

Pretty much the Giraldez scheme :)

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  7. Chillwind

Chillwind New Member

The flesh tones are very smooth and the highlighting from the zenith light source is consistent. Good stuff

Superfluid likes this.
  8. Superfluid

Was initially planning on just airbrushing my 3 primary tones on just the 5, but I put waaay too much basepaint out so I felt compelle to see how far it would stretch.

So I ended up basing 17 models with my Rucksack Tan, then highlighting with Beige and then Offwhite ready to make my sepia tone glazing much easier.

Some models i'm really looking forward to getting to, such as the lasiq sniper and my zhayedan sniper conversion. Got Ghazis to do first, they are going to get used as much as the Ghulam so they have to be done first.
    IMG_20180218_163441255.jpg

taylor, Danger Rose and jherazob like this.
  9. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

Man, you honor Haqqislam with your talent. Thanks for sharing your awesome army!

Superfluid likes this.
  10. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Ugh.. this makes me want to put together my Haqq army so bad... stupid commissions. :(

Superfluid likes this.
  11. Superfluid

I've considered getting into some local commission work, but I was fearing it would distract from my own hobbying too hard! Also the mrs has a bun in the oven so i'm not sure how much time i'll get going forwards.

I think you've made me feel like i've made the right decision here :)

12. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Lol. I'm in the same boat... Mrs with the bun in the oven.. and yes, it pulls away from your own hobby a lot. On the plus side, i roll the money into all the models that i don't have time to paint.. lol. It's just been a crazy few months with commissions as the tournament/convention seasons is picking up and everyone wants shiny painted models to show off.. it usually slows down a lot on the summer. I also put a huge limit on what i will paint for someone at any one time. I won't take commissions larger than 10 models at a time - so people can't drop 120 models on my lap and ask for them in a couple weeks.

13. maru

maru Well-Known Member

i think i like faces over all - just mind that you may correct lower eye part after painting aye incresing natural look

Superfluid likes this.
  14. Superfluid

N-N-N-NECRO!

So, a whole year later, i'm back in the saddle of painting Haqq. I didn't say it was going to be Superfluid's 'Fast-Paint' now did I? :)

I've finished up my 4 Ghazi, which I will post a picture of soon, though won't be to the same photography standard as the first ones I posted.

As an open question though, what are these models? I bought them over a year ago and don't know what they are now, they are all quite similar:

0bnkg80.jpg

I think they are some farzans and fidays? Just those front 5.

Golem2God and Xeurian like this.
  15. Janzerker

Janzerker Well-Known Member

Front from left to right: Beyond Red Veil Fiday, Yasbir, Old Muyib (from handcrafted era)
    Back from left to right: Farzan, the original Fiday model, as old as the game.

16. Superfluid

Brilliant, thanks. I needed to work out what all these things are so I can paint them in an order that gets me to a workable HB list fastest. Doing a Lasiq sniper next, because I adore that model.

Xeurian likes this.
  17. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Superfluid It's never too late to start up again but it does take a good amount of will power to keep going. I'll be rooting for you to finish your Hassassins in full painted regalia.

Superfluid likes this.
  18. Superfluid

Here we go! Here are 4 Ghazi painted up as well as Leila. There is also a group shot at the end of my 9 painted models so far.

I can only apologize for the awful varied lighting conditions, and use of camera phone rather than a DSLR with a pseudo lightbox setup like before. Down the line when I have a few more painted i'll do some more glamour shots but this will have to do for now. I'm moving house so a bunch of stuff is packed away and things are everywhere!

Anyway, Pics!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The colour temp on this last one is kind of different to the previous pics, its over exposed and has an aggressive light source, but it's kind of nice to see the team all together so far!

#18 Superfluid, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    redeemer, Berjiz, Xeurian and 6 others like this.
  19. Superfluid

Thanks dude! You aren't wrong about the willpower thing.

I've been a little distracted with Gaslands and painting hotwheels cars because A) they are fast to paint B) my Mrs enjoys that game a lot C) It supports 2-6 players comfortably. So inbetween my limited hobby time going to Gaslands, my project at work demanding stretches of overtime, and the rest of my time going to being a relatively new father, Haqq has fallen by the wayside.

But i'm fully painted for Gaslands now, work has calmed down substantially, so it's time to paint up some Assassins once more. Plus @BenMoss has had it easy against my PanO for too long, he needs to be rubbed into the dirt by some good old fashioned Ghazis and Fidays.

jherazob and Golem2God like this.
  20. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Can't see any pictures, if I try to open one in a seperate tap I get a Google login window.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation