1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standing where a mine will be placed?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by kinginyellow, May 16, 2018.

1. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Hopefully an easier one and sanity check.

A mine does not technically exist where it is being placed until resolution of the order. So you walk into lof of a model and his aro is to place a mine.

The second short skill could be to declare move again and stand in the same place the mine would eventually be. Because the mines placement is after the move, the placement of the mine would becomes idle as it is now illegal to place a mine there.

Relevant rule:
    • Mines or Camouflage Markers are not considered deployed until the Conclusion of the Order.

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Even if we accept your interpretation, you wouldn't need to say where you're deploying the mine until conclusion (there isn't a distinction between choosing where to place a mine and actually placing it in your interpretation): so you'd only be correct (Deploy Mine reverts to Idle) if the other model closed off all possible Mine locations.

But it's played the other way around. The purpose of the rule you quoted is to make it clear that Mines don't trigger in the order they're placed.

3. kinginyellow

I thought that because you have to declare all relevant details with an aro that the both players know where the mine will eventually be placed, and besides the exploding part it also makes the mine immune to template weapons that might be used.

4. inane.imp

Fair point about all relevant details. I'd still say not. Because of the purpose of that line. But I wouldn't be too surprised if your interpretation gets up on pure RAW grounds.

5. kinginyellow

Follow on question as i also am unsure on this as it has never really come up. Should it be allowed? With other discussions that have come up to the resolution of "dont look to hard at the rules or it implodes on itself". What is the standard sportsman behavior here? Allow said trick to effectively "stomp" a mine into idleness as perhaps raw might allow or dont as at that point its bending the rules to hard.

6. inane.imp

Don't do it. Because it lends itself to:
    "I BS Attack"
    "I deploy Mine"
    "I move over the Mine"

It also means that you don't have to worry about working out how to treat a marker that is both there and not there simultaneously.

ambisinister and xagroth like this.
  7. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

yeah clearly you should not be able to nullify mine placement as an aro just by occupying the space.

Much like template placement, id suggest the mine is placed at declaration and treated as existing from that point on (preventing movement over it) however it wont trigger because its not active till after the order

ambisinister and inane.imp like this.
  8. kinginyellow

My only problem with mine exists from declaration is template weapon means you can kill the mine as well as the one deploying it.

Its what led me to this question in the first place actually, if the mine exists when they aro, then a nanopulser should damage it. If the mine doesn't exist till resolution then it can't stop my movement.

But unless ijw or someone has issue with raw or what sportsmanship should be, I'll think this thread is good.

9. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

shrug, the mine isnt there until resolution so you wouldnt be able to target it.

its not really raw and more a "how do we make this work" and that really is to say that no a trooper cannot walk over a mine to cancel its placement, however the mine does not exist in the marked location until res.

10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The way mines function (and deployables in general) makes for a bit of quantum state. I don't think you're allowed to declare a move onto the mine even if it is not considered deployed until Effects stage of an order. I do recall from previous answers that strictly speaking you can deploy a mine in a position that'd prevent Dodge ARO movement.

daboarder likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation