1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spud painted someone else's Onyx army

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Captain Spud, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

Last year for my friend Tom's birthday, I bought him an Onyx army (which he later expanded). This year for his birthday, I painted it. I am truly the best friend.

However, I was only willing to put tabletop-quality effort into it, so I tried to come up with an interesting effect for the models that would look good even when mediocrily executed. My solution to this was to apply high-contrast highlights from opposing angles on each model (one colour from the top left, and a different colour from the bottom right), which nicely accomplishes my goal of distracting the eye away from how sloppy most of the work is. Hooray for artistic deception! :D

Anyway, here's how it turned out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, I know Doctor Worm is on the wrong base. I'm working on it. ~_~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A large part of the reason that I was willing to do this at all was that I've been very intimidated at the prospect of using my airbrush for anything other than terrain since I got it 2+ years ago, and practicing on an army that belongs to a bad person who doesn't deserve nice things gave me the freedom to fail if things came to that. And despite some bumps along the way, the exercise yielded the desired effect-- 600pts of models later, I'm much more confident with the airbrush than I was eight months ago, and am now comfortable planning to airbrush armies that I actually care about (read: mine).

Oh, and as an added bonus: the army came with a fancy scenic carry tray, because that was something else I've been musing about and wanted an excuse to try out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tray has a pull-out drawer for tokens and dice, because I am just the best, you guys. You don't even know.

If you want to read a bunch of my sad moping, or see how I built the tray, or just look at 50+ pictures of the models, I guess you can go to my blog. I don't recommend it, though.

Anyway, this was a very educational project, and I quite like the end result, and I'm super pumped to never paint another model in this scheme, ever again.

The End

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Nice work!

Doesn't look like lazy painting to me...

Golem2God, Deltervees and taylor like this.
  3. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Wow. That's awesome work. I love those skin tones. All in all, that's one lucky friend you've got there.

Deltervees likes this.
  4. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Your "lazy, sloppy and mediocre" looks better than my best...
    [​IMG]

5. volgo

volgo Usuario

I'm always amazed by the amount of work you can do. Is there only one you?
    Very nice job, I love the tray!

hydra likes this.
  6. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

I like your colour scheme and the Onyx Box, well done :wink:

7. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

Read the rest on your blog and you are a pretty cool friend.
    Stuff turned out pretty well and the case is a super nice adition.

8. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

Would that I could get my lazy painting to look such.

9. GingerGiant

GingerGiant Well-Known Member

Spud, these are awesome. Your color scheme reminds me of the colorshift paints they sell over at greenstuffworld, which appears to be a different color depending on the angle the paint is viewed from. I also think the kerfed edge being visible adds something to the alienness of the tray.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation