1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sphinx in Shasvastii Sectorial

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Duront, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Duront

Duront Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I only play Shasvastii Sectorial and I want to run a sphinx. What supporting units would you recommend?

2. boquepasha

boquepasha ALEPH is love, ALEPH is life, ALEPH is your friend
    Warcor

Hi!

As a mostly shasvastii only player, I've run successfully a list where the Sphinx takes the spot and shines (well, maybe shine is not the right word, as this TAG tries to remain hidden as much as possible).

The major threats the Sphinx faces are (in no particular order):
    -MSV troopers.
    -Hackers.
    -Troopers that either causes immobilized or isolated with ease.

One of the best troopers we have to support our TAG is the Caliban Engineer. This tough guy has great survivability thanks to being deployed as a marker, it already stays at mid field where it can get to the Sphinx with less orders used, and can either remove unwanted states, or repair up the Sphinx if it gets shot down. And it can also eat the faces of the fallen for extra wounds, healthy meal!

Another one who is excelent at removing threats for the Sphinx (as well as any general threat to your list) is the Speculo Killer. I tend to field at least one of them on every list I play, usually the mine layer one. This is an excelent way to control unwanted AROs, as the reactive player will think twice if they have either a mine or the Speculo herself threatening them.

And then, if you want to capitalize on its mobility, you could field some Shrouded with Dazer, although that weapon received a slight nerf on this edition. Being that the Sphinx has the Terrain(Total) skill, it can outmaneouver your opponent, or force them to take a detour so the Sphinx has a better place to engage them.

Your main issue will be hackers, as the hacking game has been completely reworked in N4, and now it's almost mandatory to field anything to help you against enemy hackers. We've got some interesting options in the hacking department, but none of them are specially powerful. If you have points to spare (which usually isn't the case if you use the Sphinx) try to include an EVO hacking remote for Fairy Dust. It really helps your Sphinx at defending against hackers, as firewall has now become much more powerful than it was before. Another interesting hacker is Victor Messer, our only Hacker+ user. He can use Cybermask to enter impersonation state, go up mid field, and either drop a white noise template so your Sphinx has better chances at dealing with unlinked MSV troopers; or he can deal with enemy hackers (although don't expect him to fare well against specialized hacking troops).

Other than that, you really need a big enough order pool for your nasty TAG to do its nasty business, and if the points/SWC allow it, maybe add another secondary attack piece, such as a Gwailos, Sheskiin or even Corax Hasht (I have a soft spot for that sucker from before their rework in N3). And also... Always remember to re-cammo before your turn ends. You don't want your pricey TAG to be blown on the reactive turn by a lucky spec-fire shot or to be hacked away from you.

But the most important thing is, don't take my words as law, the best way to come up with your perfect support group for your Sphinx is to play lots of games with different lists, and see which one you're more confortable playing with.

Have fun!

3. Bruno Braga

Bruno Braga Well-Known Member

An example of a Sphinx centered list that I quite enjoy to run

SEF - Sphinx Testing 3
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1
    SPHINX Spitfire, Heavy Flamethrower(+1B) / DA CC Weapon. (2 | 93)
    [​IMG] SCINDRON Flash Pulse / CC Weapon. (0 | 0)
    SPECULO KILLER (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades, Shock Mines / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon. (1.5 | 34)
    SHROUDED (Hacker, Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Shock Mines ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 25)
    SHROUDED (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Shock Mines / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 23)
    MENTOR (Lieutenant) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 23)
    MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges ( | GizmoKit, MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 22)
    SLAVE DRONE PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 3)
    SEED-SOLDIER (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 17)
    R-DRONE Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 7)
    SEED-SOLDIER (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 17)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2 [​IMG]3 [​IMG]3
    IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) Light Flamethrower(+1B), Flash Pulse / Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 9)
    IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) Light Flamethrower(+1B), Flash Pulse / Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 9)
    TAIGHA Chain-colt / DA CC Weapon. (0 | 6)

4 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Savnock likes this.
  4. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

That's a tasty list bud, I'm stealing this, although I might find a way to put 3 regular in group 2 not 2, might help spear a Taigha in there a bit better

5. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I find the Sphinx fits much better in vanilla, it's very hard to make use of the upside of being Shasvastii when fitting a Sphinx in your list.

But it's very easy to get some of the more flexible vanilla pieces.

Lesh' likes this.
  6. Bruno Braga

Feel free! Yeah ideally I'd have the R-Drone in group 2, however it did feel bad removing an additional order from the Sphinx's pool.

Let me know how it goes for you!

7. Bruno Braga

True that Vanilla does give you access to more options. However, the combo of the minelayer Speculo and Sphinx is a deadly one and a great way to deal with a pesky MSV2 unit on ARO duty.

8. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

They've been quite sneaky with the Shas list haven't they, like you say the mine layer option is sectorial only, and that is pretty huge. I'm painting up the new models at the mo, when I'm done and clubs open again I'm looking forward to giving them a go. The fact it's a sectorial that you don't really need to use a core for is quite unique.

@Bruno Braga Have you got lists you use without Sphinx?

I'm looking at this.

upload_2021-3-18_12-32-5.png

9. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

It's just a WIP but the general idea, is blitzing turn 1 with Shes & Taighas, then just trying to be annoying whilst I achieve objectives turns 2-3

10. Diphoration

Warcor

Oh Absolutely.

The Speculo (Minelayer) is one of the (unfortunately) very few reasons to play Sha over Vanilla. But it is still a pretty strong argument.

11. Diphoration

Warcor

I'd try to get Noctifer ML instead of Shrouded Snipers. They punch a lot harder, have much better chance of winning FtF and gives you way more control over when you want to engage the enemy.

You can easily trim down the Engineer Caliban (nothing worth repairing in this list and it's a lot of point for what it brings) and the Mentor (I'd only ever take the LT version when playing a Sphinx personally, they're essentially worse Shrouded imo) from this list to save up some points.

Lesh' likes this.
  12. Bruno Braga

So I've got two other approaches to SEF that I really like to play.

The first is a list built predominantly around Sheskiin:

SEF - Supplies

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9
    SHESKIIN Red Fury, Pulzar, D-Charges / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (1 | 54)
    SPECULO KILLER (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades, Shock Mines / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon. (1.5 | 34)
    NOCTIFER Missile Launcher / Assault Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 32)
    CALIBAN (Engineer, Deactivator) Submachine Gun, Pulzar, D-Charges ( | GizmoKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 28)
    MENTOR (Lieutenant) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 23)
    MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges ( | GizmoKit, MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 22)
    SEED-SOLDIER (Paramedic) Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust ( | MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 18)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]3 [​IMG]3

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

And secondly is a Haris with Gwailos+Sheskiin+Victor

SEF - A Team Haris

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9
    SHESKIIN (Lieutenant) Red Fury, Pulzar, D-Charges / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (1 | 54)
    GWAILO (Multispectral Visor L2) Heavy Rocket Launcher ( ) / Breaker Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 43)
    VICTOR MESSER (Hacker, Hacking Device Plus) Boarding Shotgun, D-Charges, Cybermines ( ) / Breaker Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 30)
    CALIBAN (Chain of Command) Submachine Gun, Pulzar, D-Charges / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 29)
    SEED-SOLDIER Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 16)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2 [​IMG]4 [​IMG]4
    TAIGHA Chain-colt / AP + Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 5)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Both are really fun and have worked out well for me!

#12 Bruno Braga, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  13. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Dude, am I being a spaz. You have over 15 orders...Have missed something huge here, irregular orders don't contribute to the 15 order max...? If so wow, how did I not know this.

14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There's only 9 order generating units in the first group in all 3 lists ;)

15. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, sneaky bugger. Nice.

Although I suppose that wont fool (Smurt) people (Unlike me) Who see you have 6 orders in group 2! Haha

16. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Thoughts on something like this.

So use the spec to drop smoke first action after impetuous, then try and cause havoc with a Taigha running through smoke, whilst you push the other two 12' up field for turn 2 fun-fun happy time.

The only issue if you're going first is Sheskin only gets...7-8 orders to use to 'Alpha strike' As the kids call it.

upload_2021-3-23_10-26-14.png

17. Bruno Braga

It's not an order limit that exists, but a model limit instead.

I quite dig that list. And with Sheskiin's 6-4 Move, she doesn't need many orders to do her job. I'd really recommend a Mentor to protect you from getting your orders stripped. But most experience players won't bother stripping Shaz since they expect Counterintelligence.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation