1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some comments about Tunguska's special zonds and Perseus?!

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by freefall357, Sep 8, 2018.

1. freefall357

freefall357 Active Member

First off will be a thing about Perseus, then a more level-headed comment/question about Tunguska's variant REMs.

So, Perseus...The myrmidon cancer spreads...
    One, why the actual EFF would nomads let him near their ships, much less in tunguska, and less so with such close training that he is fire-team material!? I know there is fluff for why, but even if he was cloned and grown in the black labs, I dont think Nomads would trust him. AI genetic shenanigans could be undetectable till it is too late...how, I have NO idea, but I refuse to underestimate the Trojan Clone.

On to the more interesting thing, IMO.
    The Tsyklon and Stempler have some Tunguska-only upgrades. The Tsyklon gets forward delpoyment, seemingly to compensate for Tunguska's "lets all start in the back and move forward really fast" mentality. The Stempler gets super-jump to shoehorn it into a fireteam, I like it conceptually and fluff-wise but yay fireteams....
    I think there was a missed opportunity here for having (maybe all) tunguska flavored zonds. TO Transductor (8pt little dudes) for a price hike obviously, AD: Tactical Jump meteor (AD zond), Sensor LUNOKHOD (CKoala battlezond), etc. My ideas may not be the best, but you get the idea.

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Hidden Deployed B2 Flash Pulse. So want. ;)

3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Was Perseus one of the myrmidons who fell in battle and was asumed 'dead' by Aleph?
    All greeks look alike to me.
    (the characters have hidden kill commands should they fall to the combine and they aren't supposed to survive, but there have been mentions of one or two that were thought lost, written off and then returned, not only not dead, but not sepsitorised, either. Nomads aren't above reprogramming a recreation, either - they've done it a few times to some other "big named" characters, after all )

4. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

This will never come up, but can you apply supportware without at least revealing the marker?

5. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Perseus is pretty badass, and I need to figure out a conversion for him. I've seen the awesome Patroclus/Bandit conversion, but I don't want to just nick it outright!

6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Nope, those were Menelao and Odysseus (and other unnamed ones). Plus, Perseus is quite prior to the Odyssey or the Illiad, by dint of being (in mythology/historically) the great-grandfather of his half-brother Herakles (who was also before the Odyssey, I think).

I think it's the same case as Avicenna... but yeah, I also see little reason for having him there aside from "rich stupid tunguskan executive wanted to have a pet myrmidon", which is kinda an onxymoron, since being an Executive in Tunguska, and being stupid donĀ“t go together.

As for the fireteam training, well, ALL Myrmidons are used to that and I doubt they enjoy not working in a group.

7. MicroWarp

MicroWarp Well-Known Member

After his quest to kill Medusa, mythical Perseus went on a bit of a tour around the Med, picking up his wife Andromeda (she is saved from a sea monster by Perseus) and killing or turning people to stone who had crossed him or his family before finally turning the head in to Athena as gift.

I'm guessing in Infinity that Perseus has killed someone he shouldn't have on a mission (possibly saving Andromeda?) so he's on the run and ended up on Tunguska? No way CB are going to pass up on that backstory. Note he is not a mercenary, which would imply he's quite trusted. I'm guessing Tunguska have helped override his kill switch?

Dragonstriker likes this.
  8. Keyrott

Keyrott Nomad Handyman

I don't see how, when the HD model is considered to not be on the table, which would mean it can't be in the hacker's ZOC until the marker's placed to be the target of supportware (Is I think how that'd work)
    • Until a trooper's Hidden Deployment state is canceled, that trooper is considered not to be on the game table at all. Consequently, such a trooper does not affect allied LoF, is not affected by Template Weapons, etc.
    "

loricus likes this.
  9. inane.imp

EVO. It's just a general effect on all REMs with Repeaters on the table, there is no Target.

The REM comes out if HD and is placed on the table, you declare the B2.

It's messy either way.

DukeofEarl and MindwormGames like this.
  10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I'm not sure you can be the target of that EVO program while in Marker Status, since the Repeater is considered "offline" while in such marker... I seem to remember there was this discussion about Scylla and her devabots, but I don't remeber the outcome.

11. sarf

sarf Well-Known Member

Target of Overclock is EVO Hacker himself, benefits are calculated at the point of Burst calculations. A don`t see a problem here. Supportware is on a table, drone reveals from TO, declare Flashpulse and gain B2 at the point of declaration.

12. inane.imp

Nope Scylla's Devabots get B2 (as does Kiss or Bit... I never remember which is which).

The joy of marker state Repeaters is your opponent can't use them but when you use them you drop the Trooper out of the Marker state.

I hates them.

TBH if there were TO Repeater REMs we'd need an FAQ to know whether or not they could B2 in the order they leave HD (the question of what precisely is the target of Overclock is ambiguous at best, the easiest explanation is it doesn't really have one but the AD Supportware provides a precedence for Supportware applying to Troopers which aren't on the table when the Supportware was applied). But my point was that HD Repeater REMs are a horrible idea, that mess is at least some of the reason I think so.

Even the Superjumping Stempler is kinda just bloaty. It would have been better to fix the Superjump vs Move interaction.

loricus likes this.
  13. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yes, but the discussion was if activating the EVO program would count as using the Repetear, and thus making the remotes drop the state at that time, or not (since it could be argued that the EVO is "mantaining" the supportware and as soon as the Devabot gets to drop the marker state, it would receive the effects of the program, like a remote being repaired).

But... now I have a small doubt... let's say I have 2-3 hackers and the enemy moves a TAG or HI into the range of one of Scylla's Devabots... If the Devabot drops Marker state in the first short order to ARO the enemy troop, then the Repeater activates, and the Hackers gain an ARO for either the first short or second order... (if it's the second, the target won't be able to declare a Reset).

14. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Endless delving into the complexity of rules interactions should probably go in the relevant sub-forum guys, it kind of kills discussions!

inane.imp, loricus and Ben Kenobi like this.
  15. inane.imp

The hackers gain an ARO irrespective of whether or not the Devabot drops her Marker state.

If the hackers use the Repeater to ARO then Marker state drops.

Re: Supportware dropping Marker states. It depends on the Supportware. Overclock won't because it applies to the entire table, it just works on REMs which possess Repeaters. Whereas (provided that there isn't another Repeater / it's inside the Hackers ZOC) Assisted Fire will because it's limited to Hacking Area and the only way the Devabot is inside the Hacking Area is because of it's own Repeater.

It's the same reason an Isolated REM can still get the benefits from Overclock but you couldn't use their Repeater (because it's Disabled) to apply Assisted Fire.

Overclock applies to REMs with Repeaters but it doesn't use the Repeater to apply the effect.

There is a secondary issue. You can only benefit from the effects of one Supportware at a time. So you can't benefit from Surprise Shot from Cybermask and MML2 from Assisted Fire. This isn't an issue for Overclock as you won't ever Surprise Shot because it only works on ARO. It's the same as a Custodier dropping from Cybermask and *not* declaring Surprise Shot and consequently benefitting from ODD (for a total MOD of -6 + Range + Cover). You can benefit in sequence, you can't stack the benefits (and thereby benefit at the same time).

Edit: turns out I'm misremembering that interaction. You can't benefit from the ODD for the entire order you leave the Cybermasked state. Devabots can't benefit from B2 when AROing from Cybermask. Nevertheless, Lu Duan will. So a hypothetical TO Transductor could as well: it's not a Marker state issue it's a Cybermask issue.

16. SuperD

SuperD Well-Known Member

Every time I make a Tunguska list it looks amazing on paper but tends to lack defense, especially against a first turn Rambo from an Avatar or the YJ cat dude, in actuality. Clearly I've developed bad play habits with the usual Nomad mid-field crutch!

A few more options for remotes like TO or FD (aside from the Tsyklon) would've been cool to help offset it. More repeaters up-field, the better!

17. inane.imp

Think PanO with Smoke and Bikes but no MSV2.

18. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I actually feel like, after a few games, it's the other way around.

I always think when looking at the list "how will I deal with rambo-ing shit and warbands?" And then I use it, and it has some nice overlapping fields of fire and decent board control and nothing is overly expensive so I've got a decent amount of orders...

I think they work pretty well tbh. I need to get more games in to get real power out of them, they're definitely a bit more finesse and have a higher "mastery level" (urgh but cannot think of a better term) but I don't think they really struggle in that area, having played a variety of lists with them.

You have to deploy so your troops are actually going to ARO stuff coming past the centre line, and your link will be critical for that, and stuff like Hecklers and Spektrs is pretty mandatory, but the Sectoral can actually deal with spammy warband rambo factions like CHA and such pretty well IMO.

inane.imp likes this.
  19. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Hidden Deployment Infiltrating Baggage Bots! That would be awesome.

20. SuperD

SuperD Well-Known Member

I think Tunguska can deal with warband rushes. Most sectorials can as link teams are so effective at that type of ARO and even the basic combi rifle dudes can be set up to lay a hurting once they get past the mid-line.

However, what do you do about an Avatar or Cutter. Basically, the big aggressive dude that's plopped down as a reserve model and runs a flank by himself. On a board with typical terrain density, a smart player can find a path where he only needs to eat 1 or 2 AROs at once and that's not a problem for that type of model.

Now, normal Nomads laugh in the face of this as we have so many repeaters/camo tokens up field we can funnel those models into an area where they can't beat AROs one on one. But aside from the expensive Spektr AHD, Tunguska don't have any special tools. Obviously, this is the same issue just about every other faction has - for example, how on earth do PanO even play this game?!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation