1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So wait; I can't use a Command Token to choose the result of my Guts Roll on the Reactive Turn?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Grotnib, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Grotnib

Grotnib Well-Known Member

Our group is breaking in some new players into the game, and a discussion on the Guts Roll came up. As we were discussing the matter one of the guys pointed out that you can't use a Command Token to automatically pass/fail your Guts Roll on the Reactive Turn as you're only allowed to spend said Tokens during your Active Turn. Surely this is an oversight on the rules, right? Or is failing somehow critical Guts/Religious Rolls on your Active Turn such an epidemic in the Human Sphere that the rule is in place just for that?

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

It's not as much an oversight as it is a pointless restriction.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  3. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I believe it is a legacy rule: in N1/N2 (so, before Command Tokens were a thing) you were able to spend Lt's Order to automatically pass a Guts Roll.
    Which, fluff-wise, made sense.Nb. Lt's Order was also used to form Fireteams once these came up in mid-N2.

Obviously, you couldn't do any of these things in your reactive turn, as your Lt's Order wasn't around in your Reactive Turn, right?

But I agree with the OP: it sounds like a good idea to make passing Guts Roll on a Command token a thing even in Reactive turn.

Urobros likes this.
  4. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@Errhile

It’s from N3 as well.
    If I was to speculate, the restriction applies to active turn only because otherwise you would be able to reform a link on ARO-duty, which would immediately undermine anyone’s effort breaking the link.

Like, having 6 fusiliers around and reform the 6th guy into the core as an immediate replacement.

Abrilete likes this.
  5. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

@Zewrath , I honetly don't remember N3 that well to argue :D

As for the other stuff: I agree, allowing a Fireteam to reform at will in reactive turn would be a big thing. Not necessarily one we would like to have around.

However, would allowing to auto-pass Guts roll in a Reactive turn be also such a big deal...? Especially given how many models out there have Courage anyways...?
    I would, personally, make such an exception to the "no Command Tokens can be spent in Reactive Turn" rule, if I were CB. I am, of course, not :)

Urobros likes this.
  6. HeadChime

HeadChime Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Couldn't spend a command token to autopass guts in reactive turn in N3. Can't do it in N4 either. Oversight? I don't know. But if it is an oversight then it is one that's existed for close to a decade now.

WarHound likes this.
  7. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Since it's described as "the tactical usage of intel resources by Mission Control', makes sense to only be available in the Active turn.

chromedog likes this.
  8. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I'm with you in this particular. It could be great to have the chance to use command tokens for guts rolls in both turns.

9. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

tbh I overread this point of the Command Token usage limited to active turn completly. So, in 9 Years of playing infinity, I observed it beeing played wrong exactly one time.

Jumara likes this.
  10. Grotnib

Grotnib Well-Known Member

I guess this is just of those rules that I've misunderstood on the basis of thinking that it "obviously had to designed for this, right?" :D I've played a Faction with several Religious Troops all of my Infinity career and never ever have I ran into a situation where it would have been worth of a Command Token (for either player) to force the result of their Active Turn Guts Roll... Can somebody recall any real life situations where you'd actually used a CMD Token on your active turn Guts Roll?

11. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

You activly move your ARO Sniper to a better position (maybe outside Biotech-body-eating-virus-Area) with your last order and u get shot. Miraciously the Sniper safes her ARM-roll but lacks the confidence to pass the WIP. Due to her position on a very high roof, Lady Sniper is unable to see sh*t whilest prone, so u spend a CMD Token to make her stay (and, unlike in real life, she does!) and continues observing the enemy moves.

Just your everyday situation.

#11 anubis, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Errhile likes this.
  12. Jumara

Jumara Well-Known Member

I never even knew that you could use coammnd tokens to pass/fail Guts in active turn. ;D

Anyways i guess it wont break the game if you coulddo it in reactive as well but a great NO to other command token uses.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation