1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent Trait

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Rabble, Sep 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

I would like to start this thread saying that I clearly understand the intent of the Silent Trait, you go and shoot someone out of her LoS. That someone can not declare ARO against you unless she survives, and if she do, she can only either Dodge or Alert. And in the case there was aditional enemies within ZoC of the attacking archer without LoF to the archer, they can not declare ARO nor Alert until the target survives the attack. Much alike to stealth, isn't?

But the problem how this is even possible in the Orden Expenditure Sequence? Stealth works more or less fine in the OES as it allow possible enemies to react in the item number 4 of the OES. Like marker states do with the delay of the ARO declaration until item number 4. But silent? Silent needs you to wait until item number 5.1 to see if the target has survived the attack. So there is no room for declaration anymore, therefore, only Alert and Guts would be available to be done, as mentioned in the item number 5.2 of the OES. Even the mentioned possibility of dodge ARO would be impossible, as in the moment of the declaration against a silent weapon, you would be already in the item number 5.1, and therefore past item 5, so unable to make rolls for Dodge.

Copy pasting from the wiki for clarity:

I think it would be nice that either silent trait is rewritten in a way that allow the intent of the rule be able to be reflected in the EOS, such as mentioning that it allow . Or that the EOS page make a mention in the 5.1 item that a silent-affected trooper is now able to ARO CHECK, ARO DECLARATION and Resolution Roll in this very moment, before the 5.2 conclusion item is reached.

Sorry for the long post!

burlesford likes this.
  2. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

I think Silent adds a new, unnumbered, "ARO CHECK, ARO DECLARATION and Resolution Roll" steps as needed to make it work the way it says it work (ie. allowing to declare ARO if you survived). I do agree, it should be re-written to be more explicit in how Silent interacts with EOS.

Combat Jump almost had that issues, except it allows you to make a PH roll during step 1.2 (even though EOS says all rolls are made at step 5.0; which is super important when using Discover)

But for Silent, if you are seen, everyone else ARO as usual. Only your target (and those that would benefit from Alert) have to delay their declaration. So it would need a new step between 5.1 and 5.2 but I'm not sure it would be in EOS as it is a very special case for a specific Special Skill.

3. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Silent is one of those rare case that survived from N2 (back then Surprised Attack had the same effect : the target could only ARO if it survived :scream:).

Jumara and chromedog like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation