1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent and "target cannot react with a Dodge"

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Grotnib, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Grotnib

Grotnib Well-Known Member

Hey all!

I understand that the intent of the Silent rule is clear; if the attacker is operating outside the target's LoF, then the target cannot react to an attack unless they survive - clear enough! But... The rule is worded as follows:

"If you use this weapon or piece of Equipment to make an Attack while outside the target's LoF, that target cannot react with a Dodge or apply the Alert rule unless he survives the Attack (that is, isn't in a Null state after the Attack is resolved). Additionally, enemies without LoF in whose Zone of Control the Attack took place or was declared cannot declare AROs or apply the Alert rule unless the target survives the Attack. This means that these enemies must delay their ARO declaration until after the Attack is resolved."

My questions are:
    1) When am I using a Silent "weapon or piece of Equipment to make an Attack while outside the target's LoF"? Am I doing so when I'm operating behind the target the entire Order I'm attacking in, is it enough for the attack to originate from a point behind the model being attacked?
    2) If making the attack from a point outside the target's LoF was considered to be enough, in that case what does "that target cannot react with..." mean? Would it mean that a Dodge previously declared would turn out illegal, unless the target survived?

Here's the question asked with an in-game example:

It's the Beasthunter's active turn, and he/she isn't in Camouflaged State.
    1) The Beashunter moves past an enemy model, ending outside their LoF, although there was a LoF between the two during the move.
    2) The enemy model declares Dodge hoping to avoid a Heavy Flamethower hit.
    3) The Beasthunter fires their Tactical Bow and declares the point ouside of the target's LoF as the origin point of the attack.
    4) What happens?

I'm not trying to break the game here, I'm just A) wanting to understand how to play this interaction now that Beasthunters are part of Ramah Taskforce(!), and B) trying to find a tactical niche for the Bow profile.

Thanks everybody in advance! :)

2. Kyrellification

If the beast master was out of LoS no ARO gets declared as it has stealth. If the 2nd action is shoot flamethrower dodge aro can get declared. If itbis shoot bow, then provided it remains out of LoS no ARO. Your confusion comes from declaring the ARO dodge just in case. It would be an illegal declaration unless the beasthinter did something in LoS or declared something to break stealth (I.e. After shooting flamer)

Gwynbleidd and colbrook like this.
  3. Kyrellification

4. Kyrellification

In your example, there was LoF. Silent wouldn't do much then to the dodge ARO as that could be declared in response to the movement in LoF. Sile t really comes into its own when LoF avoided

chromedog, Gwynbleidd and colbrook like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation