1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hemos actualizado nuestra PolĂ­tica de Privacidad acorde con la nueva RGPD. +Info // We've updated our Privacy Policy to comply with the GDPR. +Info
    Dismiss Notice

Shaolin

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:31 PM.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

So... there's been more people than just me taking issue with the disciplined Shaolin being Impetuous, but after playing O-12 and their Varangian... what if they were Regular and Impetuous instead? Making a few cross-comparisons between 45th, Varangian and Shaolin, I'd say roughly 3 points cheaper than a comparatively similarly armed Varangian.
    (Naturally, for this unit to work with weapons that uses BS it needs those weapons to be as cheap as possible, because it doesn't have BS)

2. Sedral

Sedral Invincible Officier

I don't think allowing vanilla yu-jing to field a 9 orders combat group for 73/0.5 (assuming 9pts for regular monks as per your estimate), replete with chain rifles and smoke tossers, is a good idea.

Diphoration likes this.
  3. Mahtamori

The Chain Rifle only profile does need addressing, but that would also make smoke access more expensive

4. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Brisk antipodean

The fluff justification is reasonably solid, but I don't feel like this is something that could be balanced for as long as kuang shi exist in their current state.

Sedral, Tourniquet and Musterkrux like this.
  5. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

There's a pretty big difference between being a disciplined martial artist and master of Zen and the ability to integrate with a military chain of command. I could maybe see an argument for dropping them down to vanilla Impetuous (still Irregular, though) but that'd have to come with a 1-2 point price hike straight up.

As RobShep says, as one of the few factions to already have access to cheap Regular orders with chain rifles (Kuang Shi, Caledonian Volunteers, etc etc) I don't think there's any real need to give YJ more cheap Regular orders with chain rifles.

6. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Shaolin are differently good. You get regular orders from Varangians but they cost more than twice as much. If Shaolin were Regular they'd probably be over 10pts as well.

7. Mahtamori

Sure, that's what I wrote. Shaolin has a deviant profile that has no proper weapons, that's the only one people take because 11 points for a BS 9 model isn't good.
    So yes, of course they'd be over 10 points, they'd be more expensive than Celestial Guard.

The basic idea is that what they'd do was consolidate the smoke generation and the order generation into a single model, which is what makes Varangian good.

I mean, Shaolin are okay, but that's when looking at a single of their profiles. As is atm the other bunch might as well be removed to save on ink. One of few cases where I'm not willing to believe anyone who claims they use those profiles.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  8. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if they made them Irregular and Frenzy instead of impetuous. at least you have a bit more control. still not as good as Jaguars or Varangians but better than what we have.

9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

So let's fix the zombies, then. G:Sync to a Celestial Guard, just like Pupniks and Chimera. Now the zombies don't generate orders.

10. Janzerker

Janzerker Invincible Angry

The only thing Shaolins need is adding a chain rifle profile with DA CCW yes or yes. The fact shitty Morlocks scum can have DA CCW and E/M CCW cheap profiles but Shaolins don't, makes no sense.

Dragonstriker and Space Ranger like this.
  11. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

If mcmurra can get normal impetuous for free, why not shaolin?! muwahaha

12. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Brisk antipodean

Just for clarity, what do you mean by 'better than what we have'?

13. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll have to join in on there. Shaolins being impetuous is one of their better traits, since it means that they can throw smoke without costing you any orders. Making them Frenzy would be a pretty huge nerf.

colbrook likes this.