1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturation zones and b2 No LoF weapons

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Thaddius, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

How would saturation zones and b2 jammers/ pheroware work if the sat zone is between the players but no one is inside of it.

Does the attack actually have a path like spec fire or would it be more like an attack that teleports? Does the path have to be straight or can it go around the zone/beyond the range to circle back to the target who is in range?

Diphoration likes this.
  2. QuantronicWombat

QuantronicWombat Well-Known Member

The burst penalty of saturation zones applies to BS attacks, not comms attacks.

3. Iskandar

Iskandar Well-Known Member

Jammers/Pheroware are BS Attacks. Them been comms attacks has nothing to do with it

4. QuantronicWombat

QuantronicWombat Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right. For some reason I thought the comms attacks label made these weapons different, but they all use the BS attack short skill.

I assume they still draw a line from attacker to target, they just remove the LOF required stipulation, so imagine they lose one burst. But I think I've established pretty well in this thread that I shouldn't be trusted on rule interpretation! :astonished:

5. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

It's a weird one to parse. BS Attack doesn't actually say that the attack travels a line from attacker to target. It just says that it requires having LoF to the target in order to be valid, and that the range is measured in a straight line. We infer from that, and from the fact that it's simulating a gun being fired, that the attack travels along the LoF line. Which only matters for the purpose of determining whether an attack goes "through" a zone.

A Jammer doesn't require LoF and its range is the user's ZoC, but does it still travel in a straight line? I have no idea!

One thing that seems clear is that if the attacker is inside a saturation zone, surely that's a BS Attack "from" a saturation zone so the burst penalty would apply.

It seems likely, although less certain, that in the same way, if the target is inside a saturation zone, it's a BS Attack "into" that zone so the penalty would apply.

If neither one is in the zone but the straight line between them travels through the zone, does that mean the BS Attack travels "through"? I have no answer.

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Well, reading the rules naively; No LOF label or the No LOF effects only removes the LOF requirements, everything else about the attack would still be the same. So whether the attack is Guided*, Speculative, Smell-o-vision, or a direct fired Combi should have the same answer if it is allowed to curve around a zone that neither the shooter nor the target is in.
    My answer to that question is that shots don't ever curve according to the rules as they are currently written.

* Noted of course is that Guided are not affected by most** Terrain Zones
    ** Unless your piece of terrain just happens to offer ECM vs Guided just to mess with people

QueensGambit likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation