1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rehabilitating Our Impersonators

Discussion in 'Spiral Corps' started by Vanderbane, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Initially I heard some negative feedback on the Kiiutan and Greif as being sub-standard impersonators. While it does say “inferior” right there in the profile, I’d like to push back on that idea a bit, and talk about how I’ve been using them to good effect. Three points (still a Tohaa):

1. Deploy them like a superior infiltrator you don’t need to roll for. I’m usually placing them prone, up high on a position that will let them look either into the enemy deployment zone or the midfield when they stand up, preferably both. This leaves your opponent with an uncomfortable choice: spend orders to root them out or watch over their shoulders until you activate them. Speaking of…

2. Don’t use them turn one at all. Your impersonator is doing their job just by being close to the enemy and alive. You’d rather your opponent spend orders working around him or removing him. This also let's you save your orders for more important things. If you go second, chances are your opponent will set up some AROs or tricks to deal with your impersonator if you attack with him anyway. In later turns, that network of AROs will inevitably fail and your impersonator can go to work unhindered.

3. When you do reveal and win that surprise shot, don’t go ham. It’s tempting to start cleaning house like you would with a Rasail or Igao, but remember that even the two-wound Kiiutan isn’t terribly survivable compared to even, say, a clipsos. Keep playing the area control game. My usual method is a two-order sequence that involves Order 1: reveal and shoot, Order 2: hide/Suppressive, then I go use another unit.

Remember, if you can get your opponent to spend 4 or five of their turn one orders to deal with a ~20-30 point model just outside their deployment zone, you’re probably ahead.

2. Metal730

Metal730 Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I agree, he's an excellent unit. I've had great success being both cagey to waste the opponents time and pumping orders into it. I haven't tried any profile besides the E/mauler one, I find that that one in particular is the most intriguing of the 3. The hard part is knowing which route to take because it the Kiiutan's success depends on the terrain and how your opponent deploys just like the speculo and fiday (which I'm not used to playing with).

One big difference is that you're not totally screwed by dogged cheerleaders with templates as much. That allows you to push into areas already "covered" for a nasty surprise. E/Maulers are great to leave behind when you find yourself in a situation where there's no chance (outside of a crit) to win the FtF roll. It's much scarier than an antipersonnel mine to most rambo units.

The Kiiutan is also incredible on missions like Capture and Protect. It dodges mines on an 11 thanks to hyper dynamics and can still tank a hit if it missed. The Kriigel can lay smoke while the Kiiutan grabs the beacon and sprints on home.

Overall a great unit but easy to use poorly. I've screwed myself on a few occasions overextending with him or playing too cagey. But he's also won me games solely off his back.

3. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

As tohaa and shasvastii player i must say I was first a little disappointed by this profil. I used to play speculoo a lot and ... it’s absolutly not the same gameplay !
    But still seems a good troop profil doing another job. I just have some difficulties to find a good role/job except creating a big threat for the opponent
    Sometimes very shinny sometimes it does nothing. Mostly depend on opponent deploiement errors

Metal730 and Abrilete like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation