1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ravenborn’s Invincible Army

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Mastiff, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

2E063C45-4BEC-40B0-9662-60301DE210C8.jpeg 8953ADB4-8D09-48A8-885C-0013B2EE2EEE.jpeg FF8BFD60-B4A2-4DFF-8848-733FBFCA1069.jpeg E7156D7F-21B8-4B47-AFD3-7A8EC459E77A.jpeg (Is it possible to change the username on my account?)

So... I had a blog on the old site a couple of years ago, but it got ate. I’m too lazy to find it, but since N4 was released I’ve been repainting my army anyways.

I absolutely loved the first Terracotta Warrior, and had been waiting 2-3 years for CV to create a sectoral. Now that it’s finally here, I’ve decided to use the End of the World to finish my painting backlog. First up; the Zhanshis.

I wanted the whole army to look like serious, no-nonsense force. I darkened the yellow armour to more of a copper to live up to a terracotta name. Cloth uses khaki to feel rugged and natural. Any light sources, such as the wrist pad devices are turquoise for contrast.

The only thing I’m unhappy with is the long hair on the models; it feels a bit indulgent and undisciplined for the force I was envisioning, but not the end of the world.

The engineer is a heavy machine gunner, with a welding/cutting torch tool kitbashed from a light shotgun and plasticard. The medic has a greenstuff pouch, plasticard medi-scanner and a head from one of the 17 versions of Jean D’arc.

I built them a couple of years ago and was tempted to buy the new YuJing support models, but these have grown on me.

Hope you like ‘em, next week I should have more to post.

Pierzasty, zapp, Lesh' and 23 others like this.
  2. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

Looks great, I really like the feeling of this models! And that engineer (with that tool) is the best infinity engineer I have seen, so don't dare to use the stock one! [emoji3]

Mastiff and Uthoroc like this.
  3. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Nice army :-) hope to see more

Mastiff likes this.
  4. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

I'm not usually a fan of dark-red schemes but these are fantastic. Great techniqe, gratz!

Mastiff likes this.
  5. Sanvi

Sanvi Active Member

Really inspiring! I love the work on the skin tones.

Mastiff likes this.
  6. deathklockk

deathklockk Strange, but not a stranger.

Ooooh.....Purdy!

Mastiff likes this.
  7. Mastiff

C239942D-FA1D-4E6D-BB60-0AC222D874A8.jpeg

Almost finished my next batch: the Terracottas.

8. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Now that is a beautiful amry!

Mastiff likes this.
  9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Fantastic man! I love the natural colors. for me they look like red-brown and that's awesome.

10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

This'll be a really weird compliment: this is making me crave chocolate. Paintjob looks as delicious as the colour scheme!

11. Onisa

Onisa Member

Amazing army!!!!

12. Mastiff

Thanks for the responses!

I painted some of the old infinity minis and was impressed with quality, but the more recent computer-designed models are such a joy to paint. The sharp, clean detail is always easy to read, especially for mechanical shapes.

My only complaint is they can’t seem to keep their scale consistent. It really annoys me when one model is a foot taller than the next, and it’s clearly a mistake.

On top of that, I won’t be painting any female terracottas. The difference in bulk makes them look like two completely different species.

But, all things considered, it’s the painting that makes me happy, so I’ll deal with the minor complaints.

Dragonstriker and Mahtamori like this.
  13. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from, but may I submit the following image of me (male) with a good friend of mine (female)?

Photo from Matthew Hipkin.jpg

Pierzasty, RAF, Space Ranger and 4 others like this.
  14. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

The t-shirt brings the whole scene together

Koin-Koin, Mahtamori and Wikkid Devil like this.
  15. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

:joy:And it was our leaving do.

Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  16. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Please don’t be put off by the gender gap. Human males are 15-20% larger than females.

jherazob likes this.
  17. Mastiff

Yeeeeaaahh... it’s more like 115% mass difference in the models. As far as I’m concerned, the terracotta warrior I posted above could be female. You shouldn’t be able to tell until the helmet comes off.

Rumdog, LaughinGod and Dragonstriker like this.
  18. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

That’s a damn sharp paint job, keep up the good work! You’ve got a very limited palette, but I like how you’re still making models look visually distinct through careful definition of different materials and use of contrasting stripes and other non-sculpted details.

19. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

It's a little trickier, but enough charring for some. Armours should be more similar, yet still different. We can notice if a modern full equipped soldier or riot police is female or male, sometimes with a single static image . Even when forced to wear uncomfortable clown clothes (some proud of their attention to watch tiny details finally got the memo, at least for underwear... other armies already cared for jackets, pants and bullet proof vests for years). But when wearing proper equipment (Michelin-like space suits aside) it is more clear, not less, because it's desinged to fit the typical differences.

In body-shaped heavy infrantry (= not Blackjacks) helmets would be more or less the same size, but shoulders would not, which is highly contrasting. Trouser pads would need to be ultra thick and blocky to hide the ass and thigh hints. In few words, females would be shorter but also more like / \ and males taller and \ /. Infinity dresses everyone with elastane helmets, and the females with elastane armour, and then changes backpack and rifle sizes.

As for the minis, nice mix of realism and artistry.

Pierzasty, Mahtamori and jherazob like this.
  20. maru

maru Well-Known Member

jherazob and archangeleong like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation