1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Cyberpunk Table [Craft Diary]

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Dixipower, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Dixipower

Dixipower Well-Known Member
    Warcor

[Entry #1 - 12/17/20]

Preface:

Yes! Where best to start I love to build terrain and since 7 Infinity tables are too few for me. I thought to myself, ass licking! I build another one. And this time I will try to outdo myself. I really wanted a table that is more generic than the previous ones, more clearly defined and offers great house combat.

My good friend Lucas aka Pirayak has a nice approach for his current project which I liked very much. Houses as clear rectangles that can be placed differently over and over again and don't cause any discussion about LoS, cover and walkways. Of course, with N4, this has settled itself, but nevertheless, my passion was ignited to build something neat again.

I already had a clear idea of my expectations and goals for the new table.

1. each building should be unique
    2. the plate should have less streets, more house combat.
    3. the table should be cheap as always
    4. i want cool details (this is where the 3D printer comes in)
    5. the table should represent a city at night (a lot of holo-advertising, neon and dirt)
    6. inspiration here for the "night" episodes of Ghost in the Shell and Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.
    7. fast build and few transport boxes to let the table travel as well as possible.
    8. the city and houses should tell a story

To fulfill point 4. and 8. I plan to take a look at the Alleyway's from Warsenal [photo]. I want to print out all the scatter terrain I have in mind, i.e. vending machines, garbage, containers, lanterns, advertising signs and more, and put them on small bases so that they can be placed between the houses in different ways. Just alleys.

[​IMG]

And that should be the main goal. I want tactical variety, with maximum simple construction and mood full look.

For this I have planned a whole year, Iden and garbage collected. I have almost 400 images saved on Pinterest and a whole folder of more on the desktop. Plus boxes full of bits, junk and e-waste from work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course already lots of stuff from the printer lots of scatter and also already bits for the houses.
    [​IMG]

Prototype

Half a year ago I made a prototype to test the colors. And I wanted to test if I can make a house out of bits and a gift box. The house is still far from finished, there is still painting, holo advertising and bits. But I could test the neon colors like graffiti and look like the colors I bought work. Had me here in the hardware store a 10€ pot with desire color ready to make. And what can I say. I fell in love with the prototype.
    Oh yes and I have tested with two "shift color" colors as I can make reflective windows. First I did a test with stripes, but then I decided to use the transition as you can see on the photo on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have ordered more material now I start between the celebration days. First I build houses ready then I sat down between by the base plate when the material is there. It is already everything better imaginable if you can already position the houses.

[​IMG]

Building #1: Apartment block Alpha

I wanted a nice fucked up still with concrete and a Japanese roof with a viewing platform, like in the anime. For my apartment buildings I will use zen-terrain buildings as a base, let's see how varied I can make things. For the first house, I tinkered a lot with air conditioning and put a concrete block on top. I am really excited after the primer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next house will be a corporate building. Neko-Tech! Which is based on the big Warsenal building with the waterfalls. But mine gets cat ears and whiskers made of neon lighting. Here you can see the stand so far so only the Grundries. Let's see how it will be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STL printer is already running with more bits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that was a lot for the first entry the next ones will be shorter.

Usashi, Space Ranger, Abydog and 13 others like this.
  2. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Just brushed over matt white?

Wylde83 and RAF like this.
  3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

I realize that you are a German, and that you Germans are all into such deviancies -- although not quite as deeply as the French-- however, Bro, nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to hear about your perversions, except maybe Frau Dixipower. That includes your use of that degenerate den of iniquity, Pinterest. yes I suspect that you are using translation software. just having a bit of fun.

Your foray into putting together a kick-ass table, yes, we do want to hear more about that. The buildings with overhangs should make for some nice gameplay. I like the designs for those.

I seem to have acquired several color-shift paints from Vallejo ( several still have the color shifter name on the label, instead of Shifter or whatevs, so they are pre-lawsuit production.) So your use of them piques my curiousity. Please do go into more detail about how they work for you. For reflective windows, look into certain sorts of clear packing tape ( Gorilla heavy Duty clear packing tape, for example) that you would simply apply over the window area. It creates an very glass-like look when done over darker colors.

What sort of table mat do you have planned?

#3 Red Harvest, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Wylde83 likes this.
  4. Dixipower

Warcor

yes i am using a program and trying to rework a bit i am not too good in english but would like to let more people participate in the project. the german forum is very quiet.

The word you are referring to is often used in German to mean [I don't care I'm doing this anyway] more strongly. :-)

About the colors:
    I bought the colors when they just came out at Greenstuff. Since there was not yet the dispute. But what is there must be consumed.

I paint the very simple as a gradient on. [layering]

I paint with the airbrush the first layer on. Then I paint the second color, here the red / green to half.

I will use the whole but only for mirrored windows.

Wylde83 likes this.
  5. Biomckill

Biomckill Well-Known Member

hmmm, lots of interesting ideas for new bits there. I can't wait to see more :yum:

Please, take a look at this thread.

I like very much the point 8 in your list: "the city and houses should tell a story"

#5 Biomckill, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Wylde83 likes this.
  6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

7. Mob of Blondes

Airbrush, OK. Was that over black? Gloss black? Other colors? Maybe it is the photo, but it looks paintbrush and rough surface. Not very shiny glass.

8. Dixipower

Warcor

Yes, you can't really photograph the shift effect. The color changes depending on the viewing angle. In real life, the surface looks very reflective.

9. Ashtroboy

Ashtroboy Well-Known Member

Where did you get the stls from?

10. Dixipower

Warcor

UPDATE #1

For a long time it was silent around this project. Which was probably due to a big Corna demotivation and secondly that it was a lot of work up to this point. But I can finally present you my first update. And this with one of the most important parts and that is the base plate. But we can go through it step by step.

The first step was of course the planning. Goals true so :

- Visually look like a wet cyberpunk side alley.
    - Very modular for high replay value.
    - Good transportability.
    - Less street than usual, for more house combat.

I decided here for my already often chosen 16 modules (4x4).

And printed them on paper in preview, to see how much street I will put on each module.
    Here are a few variations of the layout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For this I got with then matching wooden plates in 5mm MDF. Like small little panels of cardboard that fit exactly 2x2 on each module.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then began the work that took the most time. Each plate was engraved by hand. With scalpel and pencil .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fingers hurt but finally finished. And now comes the big fun part. Since the mdf plates have all warped because of the glue, it is now, make wet, provided with pressure, dry again. So long until all are level again. What a pain in the ass, I tell you! But it worked, now all are straight again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can finally start painting. Here I use airbrush, brush, sponge and marker. But see for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now comes the hard part how do I show you the "wet" effect. Made quite simple with a gloss transparent varnish spray can. But because of the reflection even with my SLR camera impossible to photograph reasonably. I hope you can see it to some extent. In real it looks much better. But here is the finished base plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to give me feedback I am happy.

Usashi, Rumdog, Xagul82 and 9 others like this.
  11. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

12. Mob of Blondes

Wet? Currently it looks rather even, all same wet type. Add some puddles to the tiled zones, not just the tarmac. Drainage has to be perfect to not have zones that keep extra water and look like flat mirrors. Paint a small zone darker then add water effects, or lots of gloss varnish, to cover the paint and some extra around it.

Maybe you can even play with those SFX paints to give the water an oily appearance (try first in scrap card painted to mimic tarmac, walkway and pool).
    [​IMG]
    I wonder what is the trick to get the paints to do rings like those.

jherazob and Dixipower like this.
  13. timberfox

timberfox Active Member

that looks great.

Dixipower likes this.
  14. Dixipower

Warcor

Update #2
    Here is a small update in the form of "before/after comparison". For me is a 2-day craft weekend before the door. I have decided to paint the buildings that have been completed so far and to see how they look on the new finished plate.

Last WE is my company building "NekoTech" finished. Because he is very big he got a base plate from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm still working on my tactical room which will get a whole apartment block so that you don't have to imagine that it is infinitely high. As a basis serves me a purchased Tatikroom which I got from dear moshersocken. <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since Easter again 3D printers were on sale I also treated myself to an update and bought a anyCubic Phonton Mono SE and a Wash & Cure Machine 2.0. I hope the printer comes today the Cure Machine came yesterday. The next step will be to print weapons, because the tactics room will become a weapon store.

[​IMG]

Since my printer store is not open because of Corna, I had to buy color toner for mine. Fuck they are expensive. 134€ cost me the fun, I hope they last long. Sticky foil I have also already bought. On the WE I find out how well you can make Holoechos themselves.

[​IMG]

15. Dixipower

Warcor

Update #3

Finally the first house is finished. It took longer than expected. But it is the opjektivroom. Important! Important! :-) On the plate it already looks really cool. Especially the weapons in the shop window are great. Thanks to the 3d printer. The large cyberpunk apartment block meets the theme I think great and the room can now believe that he is infinitely high.

Next week it continues more was this weekend unfortunately not in it has hoped for 2 painted houses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Biomckill

Great work! The concept is really nice and I love how the small details and life to something that otherwise could be a really boring block.

Dixipower likes this.
  17. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Yes, you can print holoechoes on a colour laser printer with the right transparency film (it is made for laser and inkjet, so it's important to get the one for your printer.).
    I used to have this model of laser printer (had it for 8 years before it died and was replaced with a more modern, wireless model). I printed hacker holos and holoechoes on the old printer with no issues, just using the art in the cb downloads.

Dixipower likes this.
  18. Dixipower

Warcor

Update #4

It goes forward.
    Well, in small steps, for the building I think I needed 40h with building and painting. But building 2 of at least 14 is finished. The corporate building "Deko Tech" is a pretty nice view blocker that can play very well. By the way, the company has specialized in cyborg pets and their artificial intelligence. The next buildings will be much smaller. I think I finally have a color concept that I will pull through. The start was a bit bumpy but now I'm pretty happy. But just see for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Biomckill

I love the Neko Tech building... those ears and whiskers really make a difference.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation