1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play styles of the different factions in C1

Discussion in 'News' started by Lawson, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Would've put this in the "Factions" section, except this is more of an overall query and doesn't fall neatly into one faction category. As discussed in previous posts, the wide variety of units with broad profile options, and the subtlety of the differences between figures, make the play-style of each faction less obvious than in some games. I'm trying to pull over some friends into the world of C1 who are used to the obvious faction designations in games like 40k, and I'm realizing I'm having a bit of trouble even defining the differences between the major C1 factions.

I've gathered at this point that PanO seems to be focused on raw firepower based on some responses I've received. YuJing seems to be a little less confrontational and more sneaky, at least based on the number of units with mimetism -3 and camouflage that come in Kaldstrom and Beyond Kaldstrom - correct me if I'm wrong on that. That leaves O-12 and Combined in C1. I'm aware that C1 plays somewhat differently than N3, so I've not taken for granted that play-styles from N3 will track directly to C1 - I'm also assuming that C1 factions are bit more 'evened out' from N3 because there are fewer niche skills and etc. in C1.

So here are the questions:
    1) what is the best 1-2 sentence approximation of general play-style for each faction in CodeOne? Bearing in mind that of course more eccentric builds are possible, is there a given archetypal build-style for each?
    2) Related to the above, what are some skills, equipment, weapons, or stat-lines that define a given faction, which others may not have ready access to?
    3) What models from a given faction represent the Best that faction has to offer in terms of the faction strengths? Not necessarily the strongest models, since that's debatable and situational... but what model would be poster-child for the faction itself?
    4) Do the factions have any weaknesses, either in terms of a LACK of access to certain equipment or abilities, or tactics that they need to watch out for from opponents.

Again I realize that because Infinity is a game where people say the way you play your list is more important than the list itself, a lot of this stuff may be subtle. I know also that the lack of Sectorials in C1 means the armies are going to be more vanilla by default.

2. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

The Mayacast podcast did a pretty good walkthrough of each Code One faction’s units and list styles over the course of a couple-ish episodes this summer, you might find those helpful.

Each lineup includes enough different options that you can build lists for a few different playstyles for each faction. If I had to boil them down though, the three human factions are on a spectrum of specialized elite to generalist toolbox, with O-12 at the elite end, PanO in the middle, and Yu Jing at the more generalist end. Combined is sort of its own thing.

PanO: Straightforward and well-equipped—we shoot you. If you’re in camo we MSV Discover then shoot you. Weaknesses: Lower WIP on average makes doctors, engineers, and rolls for objectives chancier.

Yu Jing: Versatile. Faster heavy infantry and lots of toolbox troops. Edged out in a stand-up firefight by PanO and O-12, but overall well-rounded. Weaknesses: Loses exchanges of fire a bit more often than PanO or O-12, but lots of camo and heavy infantry help.

O-12: Elite but kinda specialized, units are mostly top tier and optimized for their roles, but are less well-rounded than either of the other human factions. Weaknesses: No camo game to speak of, but they offset that a bit with airdropped troops.

Combined: Glass cannons and clever tricks...sucker punch your opponent with a brick, basically. Weaknesses: Bullets, mostly—their profiles are generally squishy, relying on camo or mimetism for defense in lots of cases, so MSV makes their lives harder.

3. Rot_Sechs

Rot_Sechs Well-Known Member

Pano has very broad access to mimi-3 and -6. Best List i played had 7 out of 10nunits with -3 including 2 crocman with -6 and 2 nokken with -6. So pano shoots good, makes your shooting worse or shoots you better then you thougt(good msv). Pano relys on this a lot to the point that the "bad wip" can be easily compensated by just being the last clicker alive ^^.

CA has the unique skill regeneration which can result in pretty good staying power. Prothein is specific too and can beef up a unit to very dangerous levels of threat. Overall chas relys more on positioning and tricks then the other 3.

Yujing is pano in yellow. But for close range fighting. Doesnt matter if you want to template an mimi-6 trooper or straight up cc them. Yujing has a lot of units with benfits to dodging and/or vis mods. They want to get forward and slap you down for good. Suprisingly high amount of martial arts skills present in the army and a lot of the units give enemys -3 and a para -3/6 too. So you can stack those mods really well. An enemy reduced to toilet house state can then be killed or ignored.

O12 is... pano but better? Thats an n3 thing i hear a lot. Im unsure for c1 as i have beaten them so far reliably with pano. No clue honestly.

A word of warning. I have played every matchup with pano so far and had 6 different n3 vets with differing "origin"-armys as opponents. From the ~10 games played we noticed:
    A) aro game is pretty samey for all the factions. And its not really good in general. Hiding might be a stronger idea in c1 then it is in n3/n4. So transition might result in wierd games.
    B) we had several games/rounds where opposing factions played pretty much the same setup, only differing in 1 or 2 active hitters. Even accross different tables. So looking for those cool main hitters might help differentiate the faction feel. For me in pano it became koj, croc, nokken. And i dread the caliban, tiger soldier and goldstein when it comes to the other factions

Lawson likes this.
  4. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

My only experience is in C1, and I've found that ARO seems very risky. I know people say in general that you have to be careful with ARO and not put anything out there which you aren't willing to lose, but of curiosity, what makes you say that ARO in C1 is worse than N3/N4? Is it because of the lack of Suppressive Fire specifically? Or are there other factors.

5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

No defensive link teams, they're a fairly common ARO component. You're also missing shit like perimeter weapons and the skill minelayer.

EDIT: You're also missing the ultra cheap end of the spectrum, warbands commonly pull point defense work on ARO duties and have smoke grenades.

#5 Triumph, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Lawson likes this.
  6. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

No 2nd group doesn't really help either. With one group every unit you loose takes a toll on your order count, so it's not uncommon to have a 2nd group filled with disposable units meant to slow down the ennemy and protect the main group.

Lawson likes this.
  7. Rot_Sechs

C1 pretty much only hast tr bots from the n3 aro units. But they are also the most ez to deal with. Camo sniper/suprise attack from out of range. Dead....

Yes snipers/missile lauchers etc who have camo/mimi/msv can be used as aro pieces. But they rarely ever come cheap.

The only other option to reactivly punish the opponent is with hackers. But without repeaters they have limited zone and need to be forward deployed/infiltrated units. Again not cheap.

My pano setup if points and mission allow it: 2 nokken hacker, 2 croc hacker, 2 tr bots. Interlocking denied zones for croc and trbot so enemy either fights the bot and eats the hack. Or resets and gets shot. Nokken fill the gaps and hope that they either get to hack first or can leverage their mimi. Mines of croc might help turn 2 or 3 but its an order to suck up an enemy order.... which he might straight up ignore or tank. Kinda meh when you only got 5-7 orders yourself.

Listing all n3/n4 units with aro potential wouldnt really help so i just gonna list how c1 stuff gets much more efficent with all the rules:
    - hidden deployment on snipers/crocman. You can choose engagements perfectly like this. And an order not attackable is an order you will have on your turn.
    - flash pulse on fugazi bots. Flash is very good to stop attacks and even better when it is on cheap units that can have interlocking lof.
    - minelayer. Not 100% if c1 pano has a unit with it. But getting out a "camomarker" for free is huge. Forcing orders for discovery or bad dodges.
    - hacking programs to isolate. Getting the enemy attack piece stoped in his current active turn and limit it 1 order next turn is obviously strong.

8. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

@Rot_Sechs and everyone else, thank you for the info.

As I play more games of C1, I get a sense that a lot of situations require the player to resort to a kind of 'brute force' approach to solve problems, whereas in N3 you can have a bit more finesse. No Repeaters means hackers need to to get up close and personal to get the job done. No Sensors mean you need to have direct LoS to discover camouflaged units and no guarantee of finding them. There's almost no way to buff ARO (except for one drone model with TR) means you either rarely win engagements while Reactive OR you need several units with overlapping fields of fire just to reliably cover a single approach. Etc. Etc.

While I can obviously appreciate that C1 has done away with a lot of fiddly rules and abilities, including a lot of the heavily nested stuff that I've been annoyed by while researching N3/N4, it seems like the more complex game system also brings with it a lot of potential for synergy between units that doesn't exist in C1, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try when the N4 rules drop. The idea of figures buffing and aiding one another and creating new options for solving game problems is very appealing to me, as opposed to each Trooper in C1 being an 'island'.

Rot_Sechs and Knauf like this.
  9. Rot_Sechs

C1 rewards heavy hitting because of its weak aro game. But shooting stuff is core infinity gameplay and most common gameplan for missions. Being used to expecting more then just 1-2 rambos to do their job is pretty important for game moral in n3, i feel. So if you think you like a unit in c1 you will have a much easier time setting it up with proper support in n4 and still benefit from the lessons learned in c1. Faction identity is stronger with sectorials but on transition vanilla might be the better start. Your lists might naturally start to move towards a specific playstyle with certain unit needs, which in turn might lead to a sector that fullfills those. Personally cant be bothered tlo play c1 atm any more as joan+tag is a core value of pano i miss to much ^^

Lawson likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation