1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planting D-Charges and the ADS

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Hecaton, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Is the ADS intended to zap people who use Place Deployable to put a D-Charge on an objective?

2. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

Don't give them ideas!

3. Hecaton

Nah, this has gotta be addressed.

4. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

ITS13 let's us use place deployable rather than use Close Combat now?

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That's an interesting thought... Maybe the rules literally mean "CC Weapon" as in actual CC Weapons and not just the generic melee weapons - in such a case, you wouldn't be able to use Wild Bill's Multi Pistols to harm it and more importantly it would mean the rules no longer mean D-Charges can be planted but are meant to be read "by CC Attacks with [...] D-Charges."
    I'd also have to note that "CC Weapon" is no longer a class of weapons in N4, that class is now called "Melee Weapons". The only hitch is that the D-Charges rules has a "CC Weapon mode" which makes "or with D-Charges" still extraneous.

(Cross check Spanish as a non-speaker, but seems like Spanish has the same logic ambiguity)

6. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

To me it looks like: CC Attacks with CC Weapons possessing the Anti-materiel Trait is one thing and
    or with D-Charges is separate

On the topic of ADS, what does count as MODs? Does Shona still get +1 Dam and AP ammo against AC2? Or are these considered MODs? What about Gang up bonuses to B and Dam (here I'm almost sure these would count as MODs)?

Mogra likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

MOD is defined as any positive or negative number in the Rolls section. If we look at the Skills and Equipment section, the Modifier header also treats alterations to skills such as CC Attack (AP) as a MOD, which I find reads like unintended scope creep. As it is difficult to know if this is unintended or not, it seems Shona may not add +1 DAM nor AP to her attack against an AC2 or Heating Unit.

P.s. Gang up are also MODs, as per both Rolls and Skills and Equipment definitions

Hecaton likes this.
  8. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I think the most common reading was that you could use it in ITS12 as well. "An AC2 can only be damaged by CC Attacks with CC Weapons possessing the Anti-materiel Trait, or with D-Charges." A D-Charge is already a "CC Weapon possessing the Anti-materiel Trait," so the phrase "or with D-Charges" must refer to D-Charges placed with Place Deployable or it would be completely redundant.

It's not a perfect reading because the grammar of the parallel structure is off: it says damaged "by" CC attacks but "with" D-Charges. Grammatically, it has to mean "damaged by CC Attacks (with CC Weapons... or with D-Charges)," not "damaged (by CC Attacks... or with D-Charges)". But CB's grammar is famously imperfect, and everyone went with the redundancy-avoiding interpretation rather than the perfect-grammar interpretation.

Now that is interesting! I was convinced for a minute, but then I noticed the wording in Mind Wipe:

"The Servers can only be damaged by CC attacks with CC weapons possessing the Anti-Material Trait, with D-Charges, or with the Special Hacking Program: Data Erasure."

This looks conclusive that it's supposed to be "damaged (by CC Attacks with CC weapons...), (with D-Charges), or (with Data Erasure)" since the alternate reading would mean you could only use Data Erasure with a CC Attack.

Diphoration likes this.
  9. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

And to the OP question, the wording in the mission unambiguously refers to CC Attacks, so unless/until there's an official statement to the contrary, it seems clear that you don't get zapped when you Place Deployable (also if you did, they'd have to explain how since the rule says it's a f2f roll but Place Deployable doesn't make a roll).

10. Mahtamori

Just as a small note on typography, in the Days of IJW, it was said unto us that CB's rules are meant to be written with Oxford commas. Mindwipe and Looting and Sabotaging has an Oxford comma separating D-Charges while the Frostbyte rules do not.

chromedog likes this.
  11. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

What do you mean 'in the Days of IJW'?

Is he no longer affiliated/working with CB?

(Sorry if I'm super late to the party)

12. Mahtamori

I don't think anyone but him and the folks at CB knows at the moment. He's not posted here since the... kerfuffle... near new year, but he's active on social media posting about other games. So for now we're down one community herder.

13. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

He is still with us (i sound like a mad preacher, i know)

A Mão Esquerda and Mahtamori like this.
  14. Hecaton

That's what the rules say, but the kind of person who would cook up the ADS rules might not be aware that in ITS 12 these objectives were changed to be able to be dealt with with D-charges.

Like @tox was claiming that this rule was put in there to stop Andromeda, which is such a crazy assertion that if it's true I'm not assuming anything.

15. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I was just joking about your request to nerf Andromeda and at the same time remove the ADS rule that toned her down... Never claimet THAT was the intention.

16. Hecaton

Aight well you implied it. The ADS rule doesn't really tone her down, meaningfully; she's still a problem.

17. Hecaton

18. Mahtamori

Yes, don't forget to post the ruling in places where we, the plebeians, can read them!

Hecaton likes this.
  19. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

I will edit the ITS PDF, but for now, I leave you here the rule modification:

AUTOMATED DEFENSE SYSTEM (ADS)
    Every Heating Unit is equipped with an ADS to avoid tampering with the life-saving heat system. When it is the target of a CC Attack, the ADS will perform a CC Attack where it automatically rolls a result of 8. Any CC Attack made against the Heating Unit will be a Face to Face Roll, even if the Berserk Special Skill is used. No MODs can be applied to the CC Attack. If the Face to Face Roll is failed by the attacker, the attacker suffers a Stun Ammunition hit, forcing them to make two Saving Rolls against BTS, with Damage 15. The Immunity (Total) Special Skill is not effective against this hit.

Derpidicus likes this.
  20. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

So it doesn't work against D charges they are placed instead of a CC Attack?

Hecaton likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation