1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting mdf without an airbrush

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Ashtroboy, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ashtroboy

Ashtroboy Well-Known Member

Basically as the title says, what’s the best way to paint mdf without an airbrush

cheers
    Ash

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

:thinking_face:.... Buy painted terrain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

SupersexyJohn likes this.
  3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Rattlecans.

And get some decent caps for them from a graffiti supplier - the stock caps tend to be less than stellar.

4. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

If you don't go airbrush or rattlecans, it's a pickle. It's really important to get a good prime down before painting, and avoid primers that are watery as they will swell the mdf.

Oh, and be prepared to kick yourself for not getting an airbrush sooner when you finally break down and buy it.

chromedog, Section9 and jherazob like this.
  5. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

Definitely rattlecans, with good caps, as @chromedog says (the Citadel ones are already quite good in my view). You can get impressive gradients out of using a base color and white/black (or two other colors), by adjusting spray distance and doing short sideways sprays, from off-terrain to off-terrain. If you want to do multi-color terrain, also buy (Japanese) masking tape. But this you'd have to do with an airbrush also. Good luck!

One thing to consider is that rattlecans can get expensive, if you do a lot of terrain. So if you plan to paint a lot of terrain, consider buying an airbrush nonetheless.

Edit: For fine details or lines I can recommend acrylic pens. I hope I can post some pictures later.

#5 Florian Hanke, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    jherazob and chromedog like this.
  6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

As others have said, rattlecans are your friend. Here's a couple of Mel videos which will probably help some:

7. Florian Hanke

Just a few examples what you can do with only rattlecans (and acrylic pens):

EB1974CE-AB4F-492C-B5C9-41F23DE18B55.jpeg
    8D7162D3-2C59-4DB0-9D08-70768E66C5A5.jpeg
    BD05A784-5E2E-476A-8204-B4B8F2B75065.jpeg

The japanese temple roof and wood I aged by spraying them from afar with white. Works quite well :relieved:

8. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Where did you buy that temple, if I may ask? Is it in scale with Infinity models?

9. Florian Hanke

Yes, it works well with Infinity models. It's for my Japanese table, and it's from Sarissa Precision: https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/japan-28mm/products/dojo. I may have bought it there or from my local shop. Also, just noticed that Mel is building the same temple in the first video that @jherazob posted above if you'd like some more examples. He's using a brush, though.

#9 Florian Hanke, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Knauf likes this.
  10. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I also recommend rattlecans - they're easy to use and can give great results. Some additional markings with templates, some shading with washes, highlighting with drybrush, and some battle damage and you have nice buildings.
    I'm a minimalist when it comes to painting terrain and I usually go for easy and fast results, in contrary to painting miniatures ;) Thanks to this I have a set of painted terrain which gives me more than 1 full table with things such as this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Much more photos can be found here:
    https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/industrial-shipyard-table.552/

PozdRawiam / Greetings

Xeurian, Modock, Knauf and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Pigments can be used to shade in a gritty way. http://www.data-sphere.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9719 Tutorial http://web.archive.org/web/20150305...ilding-with-secret-weapon-weathering-pigments

Oil or enamels if you prefer to avoid the dust. Some big flat brushes will help. Or if you go for "all concrete" look, acrylics and sponges will do.

Tip 2B: cut the connection points with a chisel blade, flat or angled ("guillotine"); sometimes even the push trick can cause delamination.
    Tip 11: cover the tabs if the designer did not make them "part" of the model (brick ends vs a random rectangle in the middle of flat wall). Sometimes as simple as using textured paint.

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation