1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oni´s JSA/Tohaa (slow)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Oni, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Evidence:
    [​IMG]

Deltervees, Plex and Oni like this.
  2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Looking good!

You can still push your contrast higher, but if you handn't told me I never would have guessed that you have shaky hands!

Deltervees and Oni like this.
  3. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

It´s over 9000!!!!! :smile:

Thank you @Section9,

Your right, im not all satisfied (just 90% :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)with it either, but for now this is the best I can do. If Im getting better during painting the rest of the army I will maybe rework it once everything is finished.

Greetings Oni

#23 Oni, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    jherazob likes this.
  4. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Greetings,

After getting a new Airbrush with that i can do more than base colours, and an little super glue accident on the almost finished mini, the prototype of the white armour for the JSA HI´s is done.
    Thanks for the encouragement for the free Hands to @archangeleong, it took some time (lot of time) and the circle on the arm is not very circly :wink: but I enjoyed it very much.

So, much talked with not much sense. Here is the first Domaru.

Domaru Zug 2.JPG

The light was a little to bright for the mini, but otherwise my camera wont fokus (sometimes it just dont works), in reality the colour is not that white. Maybe I can take a better one to post it here tomorrow.

Hope you like it.

Greetings Oni

#24 Oni, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Wow! I'm really impressed. Great work! You are becoming a really accomplished painter. Can't wait to see the rest.

P.S. I like reading your post as we have started the JSA journey at the same time and it is fun to see what models you choose to do next.

6. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you, althought I dont think that I would make it without the airbrush. White is definitely not my favourite colour to paint, but it looks good. With the airbrush the result was way better than my first try on the shikami. Next I will finish the next three of the group, so my paint contingent is planned for the next few weeks. It is a shame that Neko is sold out everywhere.

Youre threat and you are really pushing me to get good results. As I am so slow i´m afraid you can enjoy my thread up in the distant future ;).

Greetings

7. archangeleong

No worries. Don’t worry about being slow. Take your time to get good results. Good luck! I look forward to next post:+1:

#27 archangeleong, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Oni likes this.
  8. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Moi,

After beeing back from holiday from the (not so cold) far north here are the Domaru.

Sadly my camera dont work properly so I couldnt take close up pictures, but for a group picture it was ok.

Domaru Zug 1.JPG

Domaru Zug 3.JPG

Domaru Zug 4.JPG

Greetz Oni

#28 Oni, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Golem2God, Section9, Xeurian and 4 others like this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Photography is a whole separate discipline. I need to break out my little camera again, see if I can get it working for pictures (and see if I can horrify myself with how fugly the models are painted).

Technically, the mode for super-close-ups is called 'macro', on a digital camera it's usually indicated by a flower icon. That's your best bet for taking good close-up pictures of a single model.

But for group pictures, you really need to get down into the technical side of things to deal with what's called the depth-of-field problem. You see, Macro photography has a very small area that is in focus, and the things just a little bit in front or behind that spot are blurry, which is called a very shallow depth of field. Wide angle pictures used for scenery have a lot of things in focus at the same time, which is a very deep depth-of-field.

In order to get that for model pictures, you're going to need a tripod and manually set the f/stop as high as the camera will let you. This means a very small amount of light is getting into the camera at any given time, so long exposures are necessary (and thus the tripod). You're also going to want a LOT of light on the subject. If your models are smoking, you might have too much light on them. Otherwise, you don't have enough light on them! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Koin-Koin, jherazob and Oni like this.
  10. archangeleong

these guys look great. Especially the effort to do freehand :+1:

Oni likes this.
  11. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Oni That is a great looking purple. Really goes along well with the white armor and the green works nicely too.

Oni likes this.
  12. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you guys,

I do really appreciate that not only me likes them.

@Section9
    I must say that im quite sure the camera is working as it should. The fault Iies in my personal inability to use it right and that I dont dare to change any Settings. Mainly because it is the camera of my wife and I dont want to evoke her wrath on me:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But when we got the objective/lens back that is borrowed out right now I will post better pictures, its promised. Please get ready your camera, i am really excited to see your minis too. They are very sure much better as you describe them:+1:.

@Golem2God
    Yeah I like the purple very much too. It is almost the studio paint sceme, but not totally as I dont really like red. Changing only one colour is already close enough to overexert my "artistic" understanding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

@archangeleong
    I must admit that freehands are really fun to do and add so much to the minis. Unfortunately I wasnt able to do the tomoe´s on the shoulder pats of the both Ladys. It simply was to small for me, but for freehands in general you really fixed me on:wink:.

Greetz Oni

Xeurian and Golem2God like this.
  13. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

I need to really look up focus stacking for minis, i bookmarked this guide ages ago and have done nothing with it

14. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Regarding how to take mini's picture, someone create this project on BoW recently.
    Nice and easy to understand.

15. Golem2God

I like red and many schemes I try out end up using it at some point. Though my goal is to make a color scheme using each major color as teh main color of the scheme. I like purple as well but I'm trouble finding a force/army to fit the color into the scheme.

Oni likes this.
  16. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Where to not use purple :wink:. No seriously, in my opinion it will be really good looking on Yu Jing (especially on the new IA) ; the Nomads (impressively prooved by Natelis) and not as main colour on the combined army(together with the black) and on PanO (impressively prooved by the thread of ObviousGray).

Greetz Oni

Golem2God likes this.
  17. Golem2God

I was wondering also about any other forces/factions from other wargames. Is there any that pop into your head from memory?

Oni likes this.
  18. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Hmm....

As I am quite new in this whole "tabletop thingi" im not really into other wargames so much, so i cant really say. Maybe something that has to do with chaos, maybe Tzeentch (along with other colours they would be nice parrot deamons:wink:)/ Waycar undead etc.,but also not as main colour. Defenitely the PHR from Dropzone/Dropfleet, the spaceships in purple should look great together with black and some turquise as eye catcher. I dont really know more stuff. Sorry that i cant help.

Greetz Oni

Golem2God likes this.
  19. Golem2God

I see. Thank you for your input. I'll keep on the lookout for a faction that purple works well with.

Oni likes this.
  20. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I would point the Asterians from DeadZone/WarPath by Mantic.
    But in general , I think a black/purple scheme could work with a lot of faction.

Golem2God and Oni like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation