1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nimbus plus and tohaa

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by borings, Feb 3, 2018.

1. borings

borings Well-Known Member

Seeing as how tohaa is the only faction with nimbus plus grenades, i was wondering what uses have been found for them. Also im wondering how we can make them another thing that everyones complains about being overpowered for tohaa.

My favorite two uses so far:
    Clipsos throws nimbus onto a location wher another clipsos is in hidden deployment. Second clipsos comes out, and splits burst between three targets. Targets can shoot back with -15 penalties before range band/msv/cover are calculated, or dodge with a -9 penalty. Granted you are also taking a -6 to hit, but unopposed rolls are neat.

Sakiel in a link with makaul throws nimbus onto a target around a corner. If the target is a camo, impersonation, or is facing towards the direction im coming, i also chuck an eclipse grenade with the makaul. Now against a regular troop, i do cc with the makaul and they get a -6 to dodge from the nimbus, -3 from ikohl, and -3 from martial arts. Against a marker (camo/impersonation) have the makaul make an inuitive flamethrower attack. They can just let you do that, or dodge at a -9, or shoot back at a -6.

2. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Or use Aelis with sensor she doesnt get the malus from the nimbus grenade just the normal -3 sensor malus

Teslarod, borings and Cothel like this.
  3. ChoTimberwolf

Ok was just checking out the aelis sensor + nimbus tactic, you throw nimbus in position then walk with aelis to that position so you get nimbus and cover, after that you can shoot triangulated against an enemy which means throwing on the 9 with a burst of 3 (burst 3 + triad - saturation zone = 3= against enemy that gets -3 from nimbus and another -3 from cover? if its a normal unit burst 1 if supressive fire burst 3 and full auto hmg burst 3?
    so its useful against full auto hmgs and supressive fire but rather bad against anything that has a burst of 1 anyway(sniper etc?)

4. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

The Makaul trick is good but is amplified when you can hit more than one target so. Makaul is in nimbus plus grenade area and shoots a link team. You can target 2 separate targets thus you still get your full burst two. Any link member that shoots back will be at -1 burst and -6 BS unless they're hitting with a DTW. Additionally they dodge on -6 which is gravy when you're getting hit by HFT.

I probably wouldn't use it for Aelis in that you need a way to get her into shooting position first. That can end pretty badly for you though if it's the shot you got go for it though I'd think since a sakiel FO + 2 makaul link is 45 points I'd be doing that. If the makaul dies you have a smoke thrower and a sakiel in supp fire ready to engage.

I'm a much bigger fan of nimbus zones (Kaauri combi). I regularly use it to increase the survivability of the Sukeul HMG's vs link teams (particularly HI links). You're like 5% less likely to hit at B4 but you reduce your chance of being hit by 15% which is huge.

Cothel and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  5. ChoTimberwolf

Ah that makes sense I am still trying to find a reason to field the aelis, but I can't find a good reason, sensor is nice against TO targets but otherwise sukeul HMG is simply better and not that much more expensive.

Why are the targets at -6 for their dodge? Nimbus only gives -3? And it doesn't block sight so thats all?

Why is it good on the Sukeul HMG Link? You also get the -3 so you loose burst and bs same as the enemy?

6. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

It’s good vs link teams because it reduces enemies burst by a higher percentage in your active turn than it reduces your burst. That is B2 becomes B1 (50%) vs B5 becoming B4 (20%). This makes a big difference in your survivability. These are the dice numbers VS Riots Grrls. These are one of the best HI link teams. Their MSV1 means our Sukeuls minetism is null meaning we need something else.

Without Nimbus
    Face to Face Roll
    Sukeul Commandos - HMG vs. Riot Grrls - Missile Launcher
    Active Player
    40.33% Sukeul Commandos inflicts 1 or more wounds on Riot Grrls (1 W)
    13.08% Sukeul Commandos inflicts 2 or more wounds on Riot Grrls (Unconscious)
    3.14% Sukeul Commandos inflicts 3 or more wounds on Riot Grrls (Dead)

Failures
    19.69% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    39.99% Riot Grrls inflicts 1 or more wounds on Sukeul Commandos (Symbiont Disabled)
    31.21% Riot Grrls inflicts 2 or more wounds on Sukeul Commandos (Unconscious)
    16.03% Riot Grrls inflicts 3 or more wounds on Sukeul Commandos (Dead)

With nimbus (There is no nimbus zone option in the dice calc so you do it manually. Taking out 5 man link bonus from riot grrls and an additional -3 BS to sukeul)

Face to Face Roll
    Sukeul Commandos - HMG vs. Riot Grrls - Missile Launcher
    Active Player
    46.56% Sukeul Commandos inflicts 1 or more wounds on Riot Grrls (1 W)
    14.33% Sukeul Commandos inflicts 2 or more wounds on Riot Grrls (Unconscious)
    2.48% Sukeul Commandos inflicts 3 or more wounds on Riot Grrls (Dead)

Failures
    25.73% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    27.71% Riot Grrls inflicts 1 or more wounds on Sukeul Commandos (Symbiont Disabled)
    19.78% Riot Grrls inflicts 2 or more wounds on Sukeul Commandos (Unconscious)
    6.92% Riot Grrls inflicts 3 or more wounds on Sukeul Commandos (Dead)

It not only does a big shift in you winning the FtF roll but increases your survivability. You can try the numbers against something not as bad as riot grrls and you'll see that numbers really shift in your favour for survivability.

ChoTimberwolf, Magonus and Abrilete like this.
  7. ChoTimberwolf

Thank you :) gotta keep that in mind, didnt expect it to be that significant

Thaddius likes this.
  8. borings

borings Well-Known Member

The -6 is because we only have nimbus plus grenades, which are -6 instead of the -3 that normal nimbus gives. Tohaa are currently the only army with nimbus plus, btw

Cothel and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  9. ChoTimberwolf

Oh my bad looked in the wrong place at the wiki....makes triangualted fire also a bit better

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation