1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Player Question About Tohaa

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Azuset, Mar 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Azuset

Azuset Well-Known Member

Serious question, Is the Tohaa a great army to play with the vanilla faction? I have read comments like "you will have everything you need in the start box". I have also heard that they are over powered.

I understand that the Tohaa are in need of a proper sectoral to be sure.

But I just want to know if they are a powerful faction vanilla style or not?

Thanks!

2. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Extremely powerful.

However, they're in a state of flux presently. In particular there's rumour of a nerf to symbiomates (previously one of the cornerstones of the faction). If it's a heavy nerf, Tohaa players will probably need to re-evaluate a lot about how to play our faction, but I expect they'll still be very good. If it's a love-tap we'll probably be fine to carry on as is.

Abrilete and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  3. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

Well they are resilient and have very versatile triad mecanics which is very nice. It’s a bit different to play than other factions. Far less elite troops but many with symbiot armor...
    The rumor still is a rumor, not to be told until someone has a real source for it

#3 Aemaru, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. borings

borings Well-Known Member

they are, as far as i can tell, the best swarm melee army in the game. symbiomates being nerfed would not impact that strategy at all, as symbiomates are an afterthought in swarm melee. the new releases are actually giving a bit of a boost to this strategy, with the cheap counterintel profile that is now available.

it does seem that if mates are nerfed other strategies might not do so well, depending on the power of the nerf. so yeah depending on your playstyle tohaa can be great or good or even bad

5. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

- Yes, it is a great army to play as vanilla. But currently we don't know how it'll look in the future, because most of the vanilla sculpts are being discontinued. We still don't know what will happen to vanilla Tohaa in the years to come.
    - No, you don't have everything you need in the Starter box, although you can find use for many of the included models regulary.
    - They are considered overpowered. Yet, the ITS and Interplanetario statistics show us that Tohaa isn't really that powerful.
    - Tohaa doesn't really "need" a Sectorial, although after 13 months without any release, we Tohaa players were craving for SOMETHING new to buy. We got an NA2 Sectorial. Not a perfect solution, but at least the new troopers are playable in vanilla (although the best profiles are limited to the new Sectorial).
    - Yes, Tohaa is powerful because it has very good units, and while the selection is limited we have no superfluous units. Everything has its place and thanks to the Triads it's a very flexible Faction.

#5 Abrilete, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Azuset, Grathak, Cothel and 3 others like this.
  6. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

I still say that a big part of what makes Tohaa appear to be over powered is the lack of interest other players have in actually learning about our faction. Most assume that every single unit we field has multiple wounds and a Symbiomate. That all of our units can be in a Triad and that Triad is more powerful than a 5 man link (that last one was a bit of sarcasm). Tohaa is more balanced that others give it credit for. There are non-Tohaa players out there that understand our army and can dismantle it with ease when they want.

7. Azuset

Azuset Well-Known Member

Im have started out with Yu Jing. I was thinking about going Tohaa. Since the models are being discontiuned and with out the announcment of new scults it seems like this will be a dead faction.

Just my impression. They look cool and have good appeal themeatically. Its a shame.

8. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

There's a whole large box of new sculpts, all of them usable in vanilla Tohaa. That's one "dead" faction all right :D

nehemiah and TheRedZealot like this.
  9. Azuset

Azuset Well-Known Member

Are you saying that this box of troops is replacing this list of SKUs that are being discontinued including the Tohaa starter army?

10. Azuset

Azuset Well-Known Member

I just got done reading the narrative for the Paraiso Campaign. It does not make a lot of sense to stop supporting the Tohaa. They play a huge role in the Infinity story arch right now.

My speculation is that we will see the Tohaa in the battle box with the shavassti coming out this year. I really hope this is the case.

Cothel likes this.
  11. Abrilete

The new troops that come in the Spiral Corps Army Box are different than those that are being discontinued.

12. Azuset

Azuset Well-Known Member

And what would happen if they dont get replaced? In that case i would concider this a dead faction. I dont think i was way off my assement @nuda

13. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Uh, the ITS stats showed that Tohaa is the second most powerful army...

14. Abrilete

Are you talking about this picture?
    [​IMG]

That's not about "power level", but about usage. And that picture really shows that even a NA2 Sectorial (JSA) is used more than a whole Faction (Tohaa). If you aggregate all Sectorials what you get is that Tohaa is the least used Faction:
    - PanO: 66+75+107+86+2=336
    - Yu Jing: 82+71+4=157
    - Ariadna: 58+36+21+65+120=300
    - Haqqislam: 95+61+40=196
    - Nomads: 123+57+54+120=354
    - Combined Army: 107+45+39+84=275
    - Aleph: 84+76+69=229
    - Tohaa: 125+[no sectorials]=125
    - NA2: 26+148+20+8=220

If you want to play Tohaa, you can only play Vanilla Tohaa; if you want to play PanO, you can play Vanilla PanO or one of its four Sectorial Armies. This graph is also showing as that, generally, the more Sectorials a Faction gets, the more people plays it (thats why YuJing, Haqq and Tohaa are behind the rest), with the exception of NA2 that has few players outside JSA.

15. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Worth noting is that the NA2 factions had only been out briefly at the point this was taken. And if one takes the JSA out of NA2 and attached them to Yu Jing where they had formerly been Yu Jing player levels actually become quite competitive with the rest of the mainline factions.

As for the life or death of tohaa there are models available to buy second hand or the chance to convert or proxy and more important profiles remain available to use. Its up to you how you want to interpret that.

16. meikyoushisui

No, data scraped from ITS was released by a German videocast a couple days ago and indicated Tohaa as second only to OSS in average TP per game.

xagroth, Cothel and Abrilete like this.
  17. Abrilete

Good to know, thanks.

18. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

That's interesting. Probably a stupid question but is the cast in English or German? I assume the latter (being by Germans) but would love to watch if the former.

19. meikyoushisui

It's in German, unfortunately.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  20. OrderMonkey

OrderMonkey Well-Known Member

As a native German speaker, I'd love to get a source on this one.
    I'm curious whether it's an actual analysis of the field.

Luckily, Infinity as a whole does feel pretty balanced to me.

TheRedZealot, Einhorn and Abrilete like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation