1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dice calculator for face to face results

Discussion in 'News' started by khepri, Feb 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

Hey guys, made a new dice calculator for calculating expected wounds from an N4 face to face roll. You can find it at https://infinitythecalculator.com

Tried to condense amount of data you have to provide to make it as easy to use and as quick to operate as possible. It's also designed to be usable on a mobile device with one hand for all those moments of list inspiration while sitting on a toilet.

Huge thanks to @toadchild for being such a chad to make his original dice calculator open source. The math is damn tricky and being able to look under the hood of the OG calculator made it so much easier!

I've still got a couple of things I want to do before I call this project done, and I'm open to suggestions. The big missing feature is Continous damage, but let me know if any changes could make it more useful / easy to use.

Edits:

You can now install the website like a mobile app and use it offline.

iOS

Android
    • Navigate to site and refresh
    • Tap the "vertical elipsis" or "More" button
    • Tap "Install app"

Change Log:
    • Added Continuous damage
    • Added average "Wounds / Order" to both reactive and active players
    • You can now directly enter the values for burst, damage and armor instead of clicking the buttons.
    • Added a second graph showing who won the face to face roll.
    • Added Plasma (ARM+BTS) weaponry
    • Added Immunity (Critical)
    • Added Progressive Web App enhancements. The website can now be used offline and installed like a mobile app.

#1 khepri, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  2. Bignoob

Bignoob Well-Known Member

Looks great. Love how it’s quicker than the infinity dice calculator.

Didn’t test all scenarios, but here are a couple of suggestions

Increase ARM value: example: shooting on a Jotum under cover without an AP ammo since your ARM value goes up to 10. This means you have to decrease the Damage value of the rifle, which can become quite convoluted

Adding: ARM + BTS roll (I understand though that this might add quite a lot of complexity to the probability calculator for a rather “exotic” damage type)

Really looking forward to its completion!! I really like it

#2 Bignoob, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    khepri and Tristan228 like this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

This is great. I have a similar one, but mine doesn't have the nice frontend. I look forward to no longer having to edit inputs in a text file. Kudos!

The Jotum scenario isn't any worse than any other F2F. You just have to calculate all the values yourself the way you would during a game. If you forget Mimetism or something you'll get wrong results, of course.

Because I'm stuck in N3 mindset, I too add 3 to ARM when a unit is in cover. BUT, in N4 the "correct" way to do it is actually to reduce DAM, so I think it makes sense for ARM to max out at 10 in this interface, so the user has to reduce the rifle's DAM by 3 instead of increasing ARM by 3.

khepri and Tcional like this.
  4. Bignoob

Bignoob Well-Known Member

Oh ok. Didn’t even know N4 wasn’t adding ARM but was decreasing damage! Thanks

khepri likes this.
  5. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Being able to define "Cover" and AP to only halve Armor/BTS values is probably helpful from the coding perspective.

khepri likes this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Looks pretty neat - looks like you used Icepool for stats, that looks like a great package and I may use it in future projects.

khepri likes this.
  7. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

Hey guys thanks for the feedback! @Bignoob I've reworked the sliders into buttons as they were a bit fiddly, so now you can go up to 13 ARM and anywhere from 1-30 DAM.

You can now also calculate uncontested rolls by setting reactive players burst to 0. Just click on the dice twice to de-select.

@toadchild icepool has been awesome to work with, really recommend it. Much faster than all of the optimizations I could come up with, and the author is super responsive with any questions. He released a paper on the algorithm which I highly recommend, very entertaining.

8. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

It looks like you added Continuous Damage to the calculator. It definitely makes it clear that units like Phoenix and Azra'il hit like trucks. Thanks again for making this available to the community!

khepri likes this.
  9. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Amazing

khepri likes this.
  10. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

This is great, thank you very much!

khepri likes this.
  11. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for the thank-yous, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

I just added the ability to enter the values manually with the keyboard, should make using the app while on your desktop easier.

#11 khepri, Feb 20, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    Ashtaroth and Lesh' like this.
  12. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

That's a great app, thanks for making it :)

One oddity I encountered though is that dodge seems to be modified by burst:
    20230221_082912.jpg 20230221_083017.jpg

Also I somehow can't find the AP ammo type anymore...

khepri likes this.
  13. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

Yup, that's correct, you can burst 2 dodge when throwing smoke / eclipse grenades in a fireteam. All DODGE ammo does is in my calculator is to cause zero "Saves per hit".

I also don't limit the burst amount when you select the dodge ammo type, as that would force you to select another ammo type before changing the burst.

My calculator never had the AP ammo type. It's a decision I made to simplify the user interface, and ask for the least amount of variables possible. You have to make all the relevant calculations by yourself, like subtract mimetism and cover from the Success Value, or modify the Armor or damage by the correct amount, taking into consideration AP and cover.

Due to the way cover, armor and AP interact, if I add AP ammo, I'd also have to ask the user if the player is in cover. If I ask for cover, then I'd also have to modify the Success Value, as it would be weird to add cover and have it only affect the opponents damage value and not the actual hit roll. Once I do that I guess I'd also have to ask if the weapon is a template weapon, as those ignore the cover damage reduction, but not the cover hit calculation. Once you have that, we'd have to add mimetism, visors, ranges... So that was I decision I made early on in the design.

I'm glad you like the app!

14. Brokenwolf

Thank you so much for making this program! I have a single request, but let me know if it is too much to implement: Is it possible to show the dodge success rate? Right now the program says nothing happens if a dodge is successful. I am trying to figure out the smoke attack success rate.

khepri and Lesh' like this.
  15. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

Yep, currently working on that. Should be in the next release. :+1:

16. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

I just added the result of the face to face roll, you can check in the second graph if the dodge was successful. Hope that what you were looking for!

Tristan228 likes this.
  17. Brokenwolf

Currently, I don't see any changes to the chart(tried refreshing and opening a new browser), but I will be on the lookout for it! Thank you!

khepri likes this.
  18. khepri

khepri Well-Known Member

Ooops I actually forgot to publish the changes. You should see it now!

Brokenwolf likes this.
  19. Brokenwolf

Woot! Thank you. It looks great!

khepri likes this.
  20. TheQuestionNL

TheQuestionNL Active Member
    Warcor

Looking great mate when using the genral view (computer) kuddos!
    Are you ever thinking of releasing it as an app, or is the mobile version ok?

khepri likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation