1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Feedback on Color scheme before proceeding with army

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by Tom McTrouble, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Was looking for some feedback on a green/grey/black color scheme for the new JSA box. Here is the test model. Sorry for the crappy photo, I really need to get a lightbox. r0bn73wn65y01.jpg

Kahlain, Manfred_VR and Golem2God like this.
  2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Not bad, but I would use a lighter color for the "shirt" (so it's not the same as the Hakama).

For the Lightbox, I suggest a LED stripe in a domed X shape, it's cheap and really effective!

roobot, Keyrott and Abrilete like this.
  3. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

It's a tad monochrome, I had the same issue with mine, so I gave them different color hakama, or at a pinch, I did the center plate on the chest and each shoulder pad, along with the hakama belts/shoulder belts in a complimentary or contrasting color.

I just think having a supporting color helps you avoid being a 2 color scheme. Heck, maybe just do a light gray for some of the belts or the like.

4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the shirt (and the trousers under the hakama) should be a different color. Even a lighter gray will work. I painted my Keisotsu in military tans, and went with a lighter khaki for the shirt and trousers, with a darker yellow on the hakama.

Pardon me while I get into color theory for a minute:
    [​IMG]
    You want to use colors that are as far apart from each other as possible on the color wheel, this makes them both 'pop' the most. If you go to three colors, you want them equally spaced. Value is light/dark, chroma is color. So, dark (value) blue (chroma) versus light blue. In this case, I'd want to use red as a spot color, say for glow effects.

We're also getting into heraldic color theory, which has a different set of rules (rules that were developed to make the heraldry visible at the maximum possible distance). Yellow and White are considered 'metals' (gold and silver, respectively), there are two 'furs' (ermine and vair, which are patterns), and everything else is a color. You don't put metal on metal, or color on color. Or Fur on Fur, but those are uncommon to begin with. So you really need a bit of yellow (or yellow-green highlight) at the edge of the armor panels where it meets the black. Or, a light gray highlight on the black where it is next to the dark green.

Desolad0r, Teslarod, coleslaw and 5 others like this.
  5. geo67

geo67 Well-Known Member

Great explanation. Much better than any lectures I had in Art School over this.

6. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Where did you go to art school? This is primary/secondary school stuff where I am...

chromedog likes this.
  7. geo67

geo67 Well-Known Member

So many painting classes, seemed like we went over this. Every. Single. Time. I painted swatches for probably two weeks in one class...ugh. In Oil Painting we had to explain our color choices, logically in a critique, not just because I wanted to paint something with these colors. Everything had to mean something, when sometimes, it just doesn't.

I degress. I went to Orange Coast College (fine arts), University of Denver(fine Arts), and then moved into Art Institute of Colorado (BA Media Arts). I just like the explanation, simple, efficient.

Kahlain likes this.
  8. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I'm liking the look of this force. The eyes & face are very well done. I vote yes for your Obiwaban color scheme.

9. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

Personally I like your colour scheme, black and green are really good together and are suitable for JSA :+1:.

Golem2God likes this.
  10. Kahlain

Kahlain Greeble-Faust investigator

11. Tom McTrouble

Ok, good advice all, try number 2 (lightening up shirt and adding accent color). i think it does look better now

20180522_215942.jpg

roobot, Abrilete, xagroth and 3 others like this.
  12. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Tom McTrouble It does look much better than before. And what you painted before was good! Great job on this lovely piece of art.

13. Section9

Yes, much better!

Do watch that you're not putting a highlight on the black next to a highlight on the green, however, as that makes a metal-on-metal color violation. There's one spot on the right leg where a crease on the hammerpants follows the line from the shinguard. Take a little bit of black wash and use that to separate the cloth from the armor.

xagroth likes this.
  14. Tom McTrouble

For what it's worth, you guys are much more helpful than reddit lol.

Golem2God likes this.
  15. geo67

geo67 Well-Known Member

That looks way better. What'd you use to make your street line?

16. Tom McTrouble

The street was base Abbadon Black, drybursh Eshin Grey, drybrush Administratum Grey, then paint the line with Yriel Yellow. Then wash the whole thing with Nuln Oil.

xagroth and Abrilete like this.
  17. geo67

geo67 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

18. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Looking killer man - still can't help but think of Ariadna, especially considering the insignia on his breastplate

19. Tom McTrouble

It's so I don't forget which is the paramedic but Yea, I get you

20. Section9

My favorite trick for that is anime hair colors. "Pink hair is the medic, green hair is the FO, Blue hair is a LT decoy, Brown hair is the other LT decoy, black hair is the actual LT."

Though anime hair colors is mostly an artistic shorthand, I think. While I was in Japan, I saw some people with that light blue-green highlight in their hair, while others had a reddish tint and another had sea-blue. The blue was definitely the rarest!

roobot, geo67, Abrilete and 1 other person like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation