1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCA Tournament Video Battle Reports

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Kaneda, May 24, 2018.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda Active Member

2. Kaneda

Kaneda Active Member

I've just realized that I should have posted this in the battle reports section on the forum. Sorry.

3. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Well, I'm happy to see it here!

Thanks for sharing.

Kaneda likes this.
  4. Make PanO Great Again :P

Make PanO Great Again :P Varuna, with the deadliest reptiles in the sphere

Dude, anything PanO post it here also, no one will get mad and everyone will appreciate.
    thanks for the entertainment and keep up the good work !!!

Kaneda likes this.
  5. xammy

xammy Keeper of Random Facts and Strong Opinions

@Kaneda Your last game in that tournament gave me anxiety! This kind of stuff kills gaming metas.

6. Commoner1

Commoner1 Well-Known Member

Classic case of rule 0.5: Don't play with d*cks. And those guys sound like a bunch of d-bags.

I'm a competitive player myself and I've done my share of tournaments in Infinity all over my country during the last year. But I have never seen that kind of behavior to be honest. There may have been some (!!!) unpleasant and overcompetitive players but those guys you describe seem to be a better fit for a certain other tabletop game.

But generally speaking you should never let yourself get pressured on by such toxic behavior. And it is absolutely okay to become VERY direct if there are any armchair generals around.

#6 Commoner1, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    xammy and Modock like this.
  7. Kaneda

Kaneda Active Member

Thanks for the support, and I'm glad that you're enjoying the videos. The power gamers in that store weren't aggressive in any way. They probably weren't even aware that they were interfering or causing offense. It's mostly a cultural difference where people here are raised to compete, and are less interested in making friends and having fun. When I work out there's always someone who will start doing pull-ups next to me, seeing if he can do as many as 'that foreigner'. Not everyone is like that though. Fortunately my meta also includes some really fun people to play games with. We will just avoid that store and build a meta that shows opponents more respect.

RobertShepherd and xammy like this.
  8. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

I think what the other posters are getting at is this attitude is extremely rare in Infinity, mostly because the game isn't structured to support power play, so the win at all cost people tend to fall out quickly as they realize min/max doesn't work 90% of the time.

9. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

If a game that has you customizing your build can't support "powerplay" then it is far more likely the game is degenerate or otherwise not well suited for competitive play.

10. Wombat85

Then i guess infinity is degenerate as there is almost 0 optimized builds. There are some units that synergize well, but that is only true if they also synergize with the players style

Also what's with using the word degenerate? It is typically assumed that applying this word to something means it is morally or ethically corrupt. Can you elaberate on how a system that cant be power gamed is lacking in a moral or ethical wau?

11. Andre82

Maybe or maybe there are optimized lists and it annoys some people to consider that.
    No it's not.
    de·gen·er·ate
    ADJECTIVE
    1. technical
      lacking some property, order, or distinctness of structure previously or usually present.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  12. Andergdet

Andergdet Member

Well, in some argots it's true that degenerate means "of equal energy", so maybe he's using it that way.

13. Wombat85

Absolutly it is. You cant just hand someone an achilles rambo list and expect everyone to perform well with it. Someone who plays well at 20 order ariadna wont be instantly succesfull at deathstar MO becuase it requires a completly different playstyle. That you think all the good lists in this game can be power gamed tells me you haven't played long enough to understand the neuance and weakness inherant in each list.

Commoner1 likes this.
  14. Andre82

Hmm lets try that with Magic.
    you can't just hand a aggro player a control deck and expect them to perform well.

Well this logic seams to be true in both games. You might want to move the goalposts a bit... go ahead, I don't mind.

Waitwhat!?
    First all I am saying is that some lists will perform better then others. We don't know what those upper "good" lists look like yet (lots of moving parts and harder to get reps) the smaller sects and factions do help and are going to be quicker to figure out however.

Hmm so lists can have nuances and weaknesses you say? Simply put listbuilding is a skill. It is not as important as other skills but it almost never is in any game.

15. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

As fascinating as this conversation is, I think it's more of an "Access Guide to the Human Sphere" discussion than one for the PanOceania subforum.

coma, Deltervees and Wombat85 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation