1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N3 Hacking Helper

Discussion in 'News' started by Captain Spud, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

Bleeeeh... I wanted to make an update post but realized I don't actually have a main thread on the new forums yet. So... *sigh*... here we go then...

Hi everybody! I'm Captain Spud, and I make amazing things. One amazing thing I made is the N3 Hacking Helper, which you can find at http://www.captainspud.com/n3hacking/

[​IMG]

The Hacking Helper's main function is to help you quickly determine your hacking options in any given situation. First choose your hacking device...

[​IMG]

...then the target you want to hack...

[​IMG]

...and let the site filter your options down to only the ones that are relevant in that situation. Programs are grouped by their effect (e.g., all Immobilization programs together) to make it easier to compare similar options. Click or tap the program you want to use, and read its full text in the panel below.

[​IMG]

If your hacker has a special program not available to other hackers with the same device, click that hacker's name underneath the main program list to show their expanded option(s).

I originally built the Hacking Helper because I had trouble remembering CB's full hacking tables. After it was built, I started to realize that there were other tables of information that I also found difficult to remember during a game, such as Martial Arts and Booty tables. To help myself keep track of them, I added a second tab at the top called "Reference" which gives easy access to these and other tables of information.

[​IMG]

The Booty and Metachemistry tables have an additional feature that lets you track the bonuses you rolled with a simple counter. Hit the [+] button to increase the number beside your result, and the software will remember your selection even as you jump around to other areas of the Hacking Helper.

And that's basically it. I made a thing, and it's great, and you should use i--

"HEY SPUD! THAT LOOKS GREAT! EXCEPT I DON'T HAVE WI-FI AT MY STORE! YOU SHOULD MAKE IT INTO AN iOS/ANDROID APP SO I CAN USE IT OFFLINE! HEY SPUD! HEY SPUD MAKE IT AN APP! HEY SPUD WHY ISN'T IT AN APP! HEY SPUD WHY ARE YOU RUBBING YOUR TEMPLES! HEY SPU--"

AAAAAAAAARRRGH STOP IT

The Hacking Helper is not, AND WILL NEVER BE, an app available through any device's app store, BECAUSE IT ALREADY WORKS OFFLINE! To set this up,
    1. Go to http://www.captainspud.com/n3hacking, and
    2. Add a bookmark to your device's home screen
    The page will be saved to your Application Cache, letting it be accessed even when your device has no Internet connection.

"And no-one ever asked Spud about this ever again, and he lived happily ever after, The End."

Abydog, Barrogh, Andergdet and 17 others like this.
  2. Captain Spud

And then the post I wanted to make today: I added a new thing to the side-thing of the main thing!

Hacking Helper February Update: Classified Deck

[​IMG]

You can now use the Hacking Helper to generate classified objectives! Open the Reference tab and choose the "Classified Deck" option on the right. Click the "Generate Classified Objectives" button to draw two random cards from a simulated 40-card deck, and then pick your preferred option out of the two. The tool will then store your selection(s) for future reference, even as you navigate to other areas of the Hacking Helper and back.

For a detailed run-down of the new features (as well as some planned future updates), check out this way-too-long Feature Update video, or read the Update Notes on my blog.

3. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Such an awesome program! Thanks so much for your efforts! If I may ask for one thing (two actually) Combined Army has two new EI Killer Hacking Device hackers (Bit & Kiss and Nexus 7) with specific updates. It would be wonderful if they could be added. Thank you again!

4. Captain Spud

I've added both special exceptions to the database (you'll need to clear your browser's cache and reload multiple times to get the update, which should have an Update date of March 1st or later at the bottom). I had to write some new code to handle them, because this is the first time a model's special program has affected a target profile that the base device normally can't target (in this case, "Enemy TAG" and "Enemy MISC", both of which were previously greyed out for Killer Hackers).

Which means that from now on, players learning about Killer Hacking Devices for the first time will see a menu option indicating that they can target TAGs, and they'll get super excited, and they'll click on the button ready to learn about all the terrible things they can do to the enemy's stompy robot, and then they'll hit an emotional brick wall when the next screen tells them "Only models with special programs can target this profile."

This is nothing less than an act of emotional terrorism on the part of the Evolved Intelligence, directed toward defenseless, unsuspecting meatcreatures.

Dick move, EI.

Dick move. >:(

kinginyellow, Belgrim, volgo and 4 others like this.
  5. adamljung

adamljung Active Member

Damn this looks awesome, especially for someone who's really new with the hacking part of this game! Thanks!

So like, could you hook us all up and make an app for this? For real though, bookmarked and saved!

6. Grimm

Grimm New Member

Did you really expect anything different from EI? :D

7. volgo

volgo Usuario

Thank you again for you amazing tool!
    And for your devastating humor, too!

8. Cervantes3773

Cervantes3773 Rogue AI
    Warcor

Thanks for your hard work on this.

9. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I just saw the classified objectives, this is soooo great!

IF I can suggest further additions, being able to mark "scenery objective 1 to 9" with "player 1/ player 2" "state 1/state 2" would be the ultimate in "you don't need to bring faction markers to the game". This idea would be to mark 1 to 9 objectives on the table as belonging to a player, in two different states, so it covers up to The Grid (Designate / Destroy antenna 1 to 9 by one player), and can be used for smaller ones.

A simple % table would be the icing on the cake (Burst for both players, Target Number for both players, Ammo type for both players and ARM/BTS for both players would be more than great!)!!!!

The antenna thingy would be quality of life mostly, but the % table would be great (even if you minimize it to a simple "to hit" B at TN Vs B at TN, without regarding wounds, thus making it so much simple).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation