1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My feelings after studying rules and watching videos.

Discussion in 'New Users' started by PedroP, Jan 12, 2018.

1. PedroP

PedroP Member

I thought that maybe authors would be interested. Just my opinion/feelings.

To be honest I was hoping for such game from Corvus Belli for some time: in the Infinity universe, but simpler and more straight forward and without need to paint the figures.

What we have here? It is quite close... we have complete plastic figures(so one don't have to glue them) and rules seems very good(I have read the instruction) but... BUT: I personally HATE the hexadome(it feels like cage - which I presume it is and was intended that way) and this "sport"-like feel. Don't get me wrong. I really like the universe, graphics, figures, rules and many aspects of it. But this "sport-like" setting is what I wasn't expecting from Your next game.

So how would look my dream-game right now? Or putting differently: how I would like Aristeia to evolve? To become the best game ever?
    Putting this simple:
    - Infinity universe
    - going back to war, conquest, meaningful competition not some "stupid"(for me) MOBA or sport-like "something",
    - the rules could be similar to Aristeia!, even though I really like those movement buy measurements kind of thing, but that would be impractical probably here,
    - puzzle-like board pieces - like in i.e. Star Wars: Imperial Assault
    - so: more complicated sceneries would be possible,
    - so: campaign part of the game with good stories,
    - of course skirmish part(as main one),
    - very important for me: painted figures! (if SW: X-Wing can do it - others can too, right?). Of course in perfect world there could be an option to buy uncoloured models - for those who have time and skill to paint them(and like it...),
    - would be nice: adding something like resources/base management meta game - parallel to skirmish fights going on or between campaign missions, (maybe something like bringing resources to base, so one can produce better weapons, get better characters or research better skills? X-COM-like, to feel progress and that your characters are evolving too - and so are your tactical possibilities).

That would be PERFECT game. I would buy EVERY figure and every expansion for such game - EVER! Even just to have those painted figures.... :)

And going back to Aristeia! - very probably I will buy it someday... but I really don't like this "crowd in the cage" feeling... :( I know it was specifically designed in this way, but there is no sense of adventure, new and changing environment like in real fights when one almost always have to improvise! Something that is present in games like Infinity(I presume, because I so far only have read the rules for it), Imperial Assault and others. Wishing You BIG luck with this game, but personally: going back to waiting-for-NEW/NEXT-Corvus-Belli-game state of mind!

2. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

Personally I love the sports feel. Really sets the stage for a cool game that is distinct from infinity but takes place in the same universe.

-V- likes this.
  3. Cry of the Wind

Cry of the Wind Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying but am not sure CB can do what you want without stepping on Infinity. Sounds like you want a simple version of Infinity with pre painted models. We already have Spec Ops models/rules for troopers that gain abilities as the campaign progresses. The books like the Paradiso conflict are full of special missions. It sounds like you want a persistent board game in the Infinity universe. While I won't say its a bad idea I think Infinity handles that well enough on its own.

Painting models isn't as hard as you think it is. Some base coats with a wash and dry brush make awesome models on par with X-Wing. I bet there are amazing painters near you that would love to show you the basics and have you painting above X-Wing level in no time.

4. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

As I have stated before here in the forums, the only Youtube videos in English that give an accurate sense of the game are the Beasts of War videos supervised by Carlos Llauger of CB. As much as I respect Wargamer Girl and Ash and Owen, their videos are so riddled with errors that they do not do the game justice. There are no preset teams of four. Very soon will may have the first expansion of four more characters. This will give tremendous variation. Later this month will be the Las Vegas Open. I am not gambling man myself but Aristeia is a game that combines chance and skill so well that it would lend itself to "making book" on the outcome of games by expert players.

Plebian likes this.
  5. PedroP

PedroP Member

I completely understand your point of view. As it is just a matter of personal preferences. I'm aware that there are many people like you, so it will be good for this game.

For _me_ it is like going from:
    - fighting for the right cause at the edge of known universe in some very strategic and cunning way as some kind of futuristic Team A, using every opportunities and properties of terrain/environment that one have at hand,
    to:
    - running in circles in the hexagon cage, bitting others with a hammer on the head and scoring some meaningless points...

Thats how much setting have changed for me:) Even though it is the same universe.

What I want to say is just that I hope there will be expansions for Aristeia! that will move action to other places and settings, because rules seems really good and the universe is even better. I just wish they would go more in SW: Imperial Assault direction, then Blood Bowl or Guild Ball - because those seems boring form setting point of view for me in long run. What doesn't mean they are bad games. I just want this world to evolve, not shrink... :)

6. PedroP

PedroP Member

Yes, I see those rules very similar, they are very good indeed. But one thing that right now I would like would be expansion of Aristeia or new version more close to setting connected with meaningful conflicts or mission not some meaningless scoring of points. Was hoping for "better SW: Imperial Assault in Infinity universe", not something like this. I just want Aristeia to evolve, have more stories possibilities and more interesting setting. But probably its just me... :)

7. PedroP

PedroP Member

I hope that if FFG could go from SW: Imperial Assault to SW: Legion - CB can go in opposite direction too. And as far as I understand it SW: IA was quite a big hit. And Aristeia seems to have better rules then SW: IA and more interesting universe... add to it option to buy painted figures and I probably don't need anything else:)

As to learning to paint figures... Yes, You are of course right: some day I probably would get to acceptable level... but it will took too much time in my opinion. And I don't see reason to spend it that way. I'm more into simulation of some life aspects in games then modeling. But seeing how some Infinity figures look painted I understand that having them that way is so good that one don't even have to play with them:)

8. precinctomega

precinctomega Member

This is what I have to say: play the game!

I had my reservations. I thought it would be fun but forgettable. I wasn't turned on by the concept or the characters.

But I had faith in CB's past design decisions, so I punted for a copy.

Best. Decision. Ever.

This is a spectacularly well designed and super entertaining gaming experience. It's tight, fast, decisive. It's the best miniatures boardgame I have ever played. As a rule, I don't do fantasy sports. Bloodbowl? Dreadball? Guild Ball? Nah. I've never felt a boardgame could capture the intensity of the action in a sport.

Aristeia, though...

I'm hooked. And determined to build a local league. My dining table can accommodate one game of Infinity at a time, but three games of Aristeia. And you only need a fraction of the minis and no terrain at all (although we've already built one set of terrain and are getting another).

So I say this: screw your hopes and unrealistic expectations.

Go play the game.

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk

9. deep-green-x

deep-green-x Well-Known Member

The Aristea! rule style (custom dice and cards) could easily be adapted for another style of game, an Infinity Dungeon Crawler or FPS deathmatch comes to mind.

I don't think the Aristeia style will ever be applied to something of the same scale as normal Infinity, its too mechanicly simple to work with the complete tactical war game that Infinity is.

As for pre-painted minis, FFG can do it since they change about double the market price per mini and are lolhuge in the boardgame market being a subsidiary of the biggest boardgame ma publisher on the market. You could see precoloured PVC minis for a future game like Steamforged are doing for the PVC Guild Ball teams but a whole prepainted line for a war game...it's been done but seldom ever successfully.

PedroP and cazboab like this.
  10. PedroP

PedroP Member

Hehe... that was harsh... ;) I will certainly buy Aristea! ! But just not now, in some time. Even only for characters miniatures. And I really like the rules:) Just not the "setting".

And about "unrealistic expectations" - after spending some time and thinking about it - I think I will start to work on such game or at last some home rules for such expansion, as I described it. I even invented one mechanic that will be perfect for cyberpunk skirmishes... and I haven't seen it in any other war/miniatures game :) Excluding maybe pre-painted figures as this is indeed really hard for human-like models(I will just give someone else to paint mine). Having this game in Infinity universe would be perfect, but probably that would be very hard to set up with Corvus Belli. So... See You... in a year or so:))

11. PedroP

PedroP Member

Yes, I'm indeed interested in something like "Infinity Dungeon Crawler" - with campaign and story. And I also think that Aristeia rules are very close to be good for that. I also agree that Infinity is good what it is meant for, so I wouldn't move from Aristeia to Infinity - in terms of rules. What I think I wanted in first place was "Pirates! of Spanish Main", but with characters and in Infinity universe(Aristeia rules?) + good campaign expansion - if anyone knows(remembers) what I mean by that... ;)) That was indeed "a little" unrealistic:)

Will stay with the game and wishing it a HUGE success which it deserves !

12. PedroP

PedroP Member

So... I bought the game. And... it is really great! I like those dense rules as much as I have imagined it:) It's a pity that my wife don't like the game, as it is "too much about slashing and firing guns..." but that was predictable... :) Maybe it was also the lack of my native language version - but I will make some translations for her.

I will support the game and probably buy all the expansions - as I love the miniatures, graphics and rules - but still I would really like to go outside hexadome and have some story based missions for the game. I'm counting on You Corvus Belli!

13. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Please check out the TableTop Simulator version and the Discord channel. There are some very knowledgeable players who love the game as you do.

PedroP and -V- like this.
  14. precinctomega

precinctomega Member

My wife also won't play board games that involve direct conflict. But we love playing games like Splendor and Carcassonne. Meanwhile, I've found a small-but-growing local circle who are really keen to play Aristeia with me. It's great that you only need one box between two players, at least to start with.

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk

PedroP likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation