1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movement on roof

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by konuhageruke, Jul 31, 2019.

1. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

AVE
    On last tournament I had a situation. I was on a roof, and I wanted to see guys on a bridge. From the level of the roof it was not possible, but if I would bet another half an inch i would, so I wanted to moven on a berrier and get of of it, since, my base didn't fit.
    Now my logic is on the picture attached.
    A) if I move through the barrier I move my silhuette up and down, so I can see something from higher position, and get possible ARO.
    B) I don't have to go through, i can go a little forward and go back - this is legal everywhere. I can poke out of the corner and go back, or approach anthenna and go back. As long as I don't stay on illegal position it is ok.
    C) Then what is the difference if I move a little up on a barrier of the balcony or a roof?

I was told not to do so, by the judge, but I would presonally allow it on tournament organized by me. What do you think?

ps. 1 - starting position, 2 - during movement, 3 - final position.

Attached Files:

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There is nothing in the rules that I know of which stops you from using vault mechanic to get a literal leg up on a fence like that and you don't have to stop on the other side, you can just go back to your original position if you want to. You'll not be able to claim cover and you'll expose yourself to potential further AROs that you might not have anticipated, but it should be fully within the rules to do.

3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Creative and yes, it is legal as long as you vault over the wall, so the model would have to fall down afterwards.

I would say no on abusing the vault mechanism to gain height but not vaulting over an obstacle though.

DukeofEarl and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  4. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

chromedog and Ayadan like this.
  5. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

And shoot down. I intended to shoot object about 20 inches away and on almost the same hight as mine.

No. I cannot Move to a place where i have no support for my base, so no falling down after this.

xagroth likes this.
  6. psychoticstorm

That would not solve the issue of height though, lean out is on the same level as the floor.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  7. psychoticstorm

Shouldn't that make the move illegal?

8. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's impossible to fall without using Jump.

9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

What's stopping the move? It's functionally identical to trying to vault over something but not having enough movement to get down on the far side.

daboarder and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I assume the base won't fit on the top surface of the wall... nor in the other side of said wall :S

11. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Id say you are making up rules.

12. daboarder

Warcor

That has no bearing on using the vault rules

13. psychoticstorm

The vault rules say
    The model must vault over an obstacle, assuming the model has enouph movement and taking into consideration what @ijw said that I ignored (you can only fall by jumping) and taking into consideration
    To vault over something the movement both in remaining movement and adequate surface should allow passage to the other side if the other side is a vertical fall to the ground level I guess it should not be allowed.

I do not remember the resolution of "I did not have enouph movement to vault to the other side" question, myself I would say the model needs to stay on the back side of the obstacle and not vault over the obstacle and then be placed back, treated like any illegal movement such as a move towards a space that turns out to not be sufficient for the base to pass through.

14. Mahtamori

"Over" is not equivalent with "over to the other side", but it is sufficiently satisfied with the model simply being above the obstacle at any point in the movement. Any further restrictions on movement would have to be clarified by CB, as it currently isn't greatly restricted.

daboarder and Robock like this.
  15. psychoticstorm

I guess it can be an English thing, but when I read vault over, I assume it vaults over an obstacle and to the other side of it, I am not sure but never thought about it until now that "vault over" could be interpreted as anything other that that.

I am not sure vaulting was ever intended as a height extension mechanism for this situation.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  16. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

In a straight line?
    Or is taking a 90° (180°) turn allowed...
    :speak_no_evil:

(edit: too slow...)

17. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

In my meta we mostly allow vault onto, but the base still needs to be supported although we allow some leeway there as well

18. Mahtamori

No, I don't think it's an English thing. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make when you put yourself in the position of the model and imagine what the rules ask you to do, but if you instead view the model as a lump of metal inside an imaginary cylinder and vault as exclusively a in-game phenomena that is expected to take place over a piece of terrain of a certain height... well, it's the same over as "the ceiling over your head" and the ceiling is expect to stay there :)

daboarder likes this.
  19. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Doesn't the move stop just short of the vault in this case? If you intend to vault over the object but dont have the movement and the object width can't support your base, it seems silly to say you go up, then back, instead of just you never go up.

20. daboarder

Warcor

Storm seriously dude. Just no. Dont even try.

Put on the manpants and admit you got this one wrong

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation