1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mould lines on infinity models

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by CoffeeBadger, Mar 6, 2020.

1. CoffeeBadger

CoffeeBadger Well-Known Member

After having kept my boxes on the shelf for far too long I have finally begun assembling. I was pleasantly surprised by the low amount a flash and casting channel residue. However, those mould lines give me headaches. On the pewter minis from Nottingham removing them was easy enough, but the minis made by Corvus Belli are on a different level. Given their detailed nature just scraping them off is often not possible without loss of other details. How do you remove those lines, if they are e.g. in a recess or crevice that is impossible to reach with a modelling file or knife?

Maybe I worry too much, since for some of the lines I need to use magnifying glasses in order to work thoroughly. Rather than destroy details I'd rather paint over the mould lines, but since I want to avoid stripping and repainting in the future, I would be grateful for any tipps to get it done right from the beginning.

2. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Pointed files may help in these situations.

Dragonstriker and chromedog like this.
  3. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I have a basic set of needle files and am usually able to clean off the offensive lines with various combinations of the file shapes.

chromedog likes this.
  4. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

diferent needle files and cutting tool in "reverse mode": instead of cutting, just using the back of the edge to scrap that mould line, using not much pressure and some repetitions instead of a hard pressure

Xeurian likes this.
  5. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Fine grit sandpaper also helps with hard to reach places and you can apply pressure in a very measured manner to avoid damaging surrounding detail.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  6. CoffeeBadger

CoffeeBadger Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your input. I am already using diamond needle files, but sandpaper sounds like a good idea for narrow spaces in between armour plates or in the palm of a hand.

7. Carabus

Carabus New Member

I can recommend Foam Sanding Sticks, best of both worlds.

8. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Combination of hobby knife blade, needle files and emery sanding boards (for fingernails - you can trim them to different widths for tricky spots).

Bors and CoffeeBadger like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation