1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mine template placement

Discussion in 'Rules' started by spears, Sep 30, 2020.

1. spears

spears Well-Known Member

This diagram clearly shows that teardrop template placement can have the side of the template touching the side of a troopers base [​IMG]
    Normally the requirement for lof to declare bs attack means you cant shoot a chain rifle around a corner, however mines don't appear to require lof.
    So is it possible to be hit by a mine round a corner that you cannot see? Excuse my shoddy drawing of a corner.

2. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

It seems that you can. You check the Trigger Area of a mine by placing a Small Teardrop Template and you place these templates "in contact with the model Silhouette". So yeah, it seems a mine could "fire around a corner".

3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

I think there's an easier to visualize scenario for this:

Take one of the cardboard buildings from an Infinity starter set. Place a mine half the radius of the blast focus back from one side of the corner. Put the small teardrop template down along that edge of the building. Then have a trooper start walking across the other side of the building.

The trooper can get hit by the mine before the trooper can see the mine, as the trooper comes around the corner of the building.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  4. Nuada Airgetlam

To visualize better:

upload_2020-9-30_17-53-35.png

5. Ayaxs

Ayaxs Crane agent, Yuandun division.
    Warcor

I think this is relevant to the discussion. pg 53.

upload_2020-9-30_13-7-7.png

WarHound likes this.
  6. Nuada Airgetlam

That's a weird example in the book, because even on this image you can grab this guy with a legal Template attack.

upload_2020-9-30_18-17-0.png

7. Ayaxs

Warcor

Looking at the trigger area i think it uses a straight line from the center of the mine, not the blast focus to determine total cover.

upload_2020-9-30_13-23-47.png

8. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That trigger area diagram is the same one that was in N3, and I'm pretty sure it was misleading back then, too.

Note that if you get a ruler out, the right edge goes in a line to red x on the mine, not to the center of the mine. It's not the same angle.

9. Ayaxs

Warcor

More low quality edits, the Trigger area doesn't use the blast focus, but LoS from the mine.

upload_2020-9-30_13-31-12.png

10. Nuada Airgetlam

The Template focus needs to touch any point of the Silhouette of the "shooter". The Line of Fire is not a line in the center of the Template either, it's any straight line coming from the Focus point.

That's the only limitation, no "centre of base" or anything of the kind if I understand the rules well.

upload_2020-9-30_18-42-7.png

11. Nuada Airgetlam

This drawing only shows the maximum possible range, all permutations like attaching it the way you edited it are already covered by the whole area.

The "X" guy behind the building is untouchable because there's no placement of Template Focus circle on the side of the Trooper's silhouette that would gain at the same time gain LOF from the shooter's base to any part of the "X" guy's silhouette.

However that "LoF from any point on Silhouette" is a Trooper requirement, not a Mine one.

upload_2020-10-1_0-2-52.png

In the case of a mine though, the only triggering requirements are "be in ZOC of mine and be within the Trigger Area".

A mine specifically defines Trigger Area as "the area within the radius of the Small Teardrop Template, extended out from the edge of the base of the mine" and it excludes "any areas in Total Cover from the Blast Focus of the Small Teardrop Template".

There's no requirement for the mine to "see" the target. The Blast Focus on the edge of the mine's base needs to "see" the target. That's it.

@ijw
    Any chance for your opinion on this, please?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation