1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimetism while unconscious ?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Arkhos94, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

During my last tournament, I ended up shooting an unconscious cutter and my opponent told me his mimetism was still active

I checked and it seems my opponent was wrong :
    On unconscious effect :
    • Automatic Special Skills and Automatic Equipment have no effect while Unconscious.

Mimetism has the automatic skill label and is referenced in the special skill list.

So it should not work while unconscious. Am I wrong ?

2. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

No, you are right.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Hey, so a follow-up question here, as I'm going through a bunch of automatic skills and the Unconscious State in order to give helpful examples of exceptions - I see very few exceptions. And with "few" I mean, I can find only one single skill that works while unconscious: Non-Hackable.

For example, Remote Presence has no exception. Half of Remote Presence' workings requires it to have an effect while Unconscious.
    Another example is Immunity. Seems odd that a Karakuri suddenly starts taking huge damage if it goes unconscious.
    Following up on that, if one of the werewolves goes down, they stop being vulnerable to viral.
    A Seed-soldier has a special form of unconscious, except that if it goes unconscious it stops having access to this state.
    A Morat can't be isolated, unless they're unconscious, in which case their protection from entering isolation is removed.
    If a Pilot is unconscious and then enters the Killed state, I guess they don't have any functional skill that removes the TAG as a casualty because the Pilot skill has no effect.

I guess the question is; what are the exceptions? There's a few that's fairly obvious (Shasvaasti and Remote Presence) but there's others that are less obvious.

4. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

They are some exceptions, but as far as I know when that happends it is in the description. For example (Not this..."Total Inmunity") but this "regeneration". :) Sorry for the mistake :P

Edited

#4 Urobros, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  5. Muad'dib

Muad'dib Well-Known Member

Something similar to this came up in a recent game for me as well. At the time I believe regeneration was another example of a skill that mentions that it works in the unconscious state. I was particularly startled by the assertion that total immunity stops once unconscious.

6. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything in Immunity (Total) that indicates it continues working while in the Unconscious state. While it may be a bit non-sensical, RAW it would stop working upon entering the state.

7. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

One that came up for me recently was the Hacker skill - can you hack an unconscious Hacker with, for example, Trinity?

8. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I'm a little "dumb" sometimes, you are right... I had in mind "regeneration" but I wrote "total inmunity"...

DukeofEarl likes this.
  9. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

What are the effects of the Hacker skill? Having Programs and being able to use them.
    What happens to automatic skills when unconscious? the skills/equip has no effect (but it is still there).
    What are the requirements to chose a target? Being a Hacker. You are not using the skill, the target just needs to have it.

Arkhos94 likes this.
  10. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Maybe. I don't think it's clear, like I said.

11. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

CB has never clarified (in any edition) how/if hacker skill/equipment/programs works while unconscious. People who claim to know how it works are obviously full of it.

Hilarious unconscious/No Wound Incapacitation/Immunity/Cover interactions
    - "Immunity: Total" makes trooper immune to Non-Lethal Weapons. When used remotely, Medikit and Gizmokit are non-lethal BS weapons.
    -> Total immunity trooper can recover from Unconscious-state because Unconscious-state turns off total immunity.
    -> No Wound Incapacitation doesn't turn off total immunity. Volkolak Assault trooper have total immunity and No Wound Incapacitation, which means that they can't remove NWI state remotely using Medikit. The same medikit can be used in silhouette contact to remove NWI from said trooper.
    -> Karakuri Special Project trooper can't recover structure points using remote Gizmokit when they are non-Unconscious.

- "Immunity: Possession" gets turned off when trooper goes unconscious. Unconscious TAGs can be hacked.
    -> It's possible to use Avatar against Combine Army, if you first wreck it, then possess it and finally repair it.

- "NWI" and "Dogged" can be activated by any level of unconscious-state. Remote presence grants one additional level of unconscious.
    -> Unidron that loses two structure points can activate "Dogged" state.
    -> Unidron that is in unconscious (level1) and fails a gizmokit roll, can activate "Dogged" state.
    -> Unidron that is in unconscious (level1) and loses a structure point to a shock weapon can't activate "Dogged" state, because it no longer has Immunity: Shock due to unconscious-state. Low powered ranged shock weapons are surprisingly good against high ARM TAGs in unconscious state.

- Polaris Bearpode has 2 wounds, dogged, immunity: total and vulnerability: viral
    -> Bearpode isn't immune to viral weapon shock, so if it loses two wounds from viral weapon it can't activate Dogged and dies.

- Impetuous is also an automatic skill so it get's turned off when trooper goes unconscious. Remotely used Medikit and Gizmokit are affected by cover.

- Peripheral: Control and spearhead goes unconscious... No one really knows how it should work. It's like paragraph is missing or something.

EDIT:ed the bearbode

#11 Tanan, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  12. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Incorrectly phrased, Bearpode sure has Immunity: Shock (because it has Total), but Viral which it's vulnerable to is DA+Shock and both effects apply, as exception to the Immunity: Total rule.

Tanan likes this.
  13. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Hacker is included in the Profile in N4. The change makes sense, since the Hackable Characteristic is also attached to the Profile of HI, REMs and TAGs.
    It's no longer tied to having an active Hacking Device or access to Hacking Programs like N4 (you could not Redrum an Unconscious Hacker in N3). Unconscious does still turn the Skill off, but you still have the Skill and Unconscious only removes the Effects, not the Skill itself.
    upload_2021-10-7_10-58-10.png

So you can hack a Hacker to death with Trinity or use Carbonite/Oblivion on Unconscious Hackers in N4.

#13 Teslarod, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    inane.imp, Arkhos94 and Mahtamori like this.
  14. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

You’d be better off making a list of the various skills that are obvious oversights (either mention unconscious or are mentioned in the FAQ as being usuable while unconscious).

Arkhos94 and toadchild like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation