1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDF bases

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Nincoreween, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Nincoreween

Nincoreween Macross Frontier Commander

Has anyone used the MDF bases? I wanted to know what your opinion on them was and how well they stand up to regular bases, because this go round of models I'm trying to decide if to go with them or the base toppers for my army. Been looking at the MDF display boards that come with them for matching with the board.

[​IMG]

timberfox likes this.
  2. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

Depends on how ruff you are with them. MDF can easily get blunted around sharp edges but of you're not storing them where they can rub against tuff they're perfectly fine as bases.

Nincoreween likes this.
  3. Nincoreween

Nincoreween Macross Frontier Commander

Well that's good to know. Resin bases as well as doing custom bases are good and all, but I really wanted to try something new with all the MDF floating around these days giving something new a try.

4. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I've been using "basic" MDF bases (undecorated circles of standar height), and I have no complaints, they even support pinned miniatures a litte better, and you can carve some detail with a file.

5. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I LOVE MDF BASES!! :grimacing:

One of the biggest advantages of MDF bases is their weight. I know that sounds weird, but with a metal model on top of your plastic base is your model weighs more than your base. With MDF bases, that's not the case - making them less tippy.

I was painting some confrontation orcs a year ago (they're big and made of lead) and I dropped on. I thought disaster was imminent- but it was averted, as the orc tumbled, then landed solidly on its base. No damage!! :openmouth:

So, that's my story. I hope it helps!

jherazob likes this.
  6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Well, I have a counter-story to that one... My Boarding Shotgun fraacta, which I placed a litte too much centered on the MDF base, falls on her face. I solved that adding two extra pins at the front arc, and if it where a (hollow) plastic base I could place some weight at the back, which I cannot in a solid MDF base.

So, carefull when gluing the models to any base!

jherazob and taylor like this.
  7. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Ahhh. Fair enough - I can see how that could happen. Confrontation orcs are SUPER broad and squat. The fractaa is very top heavy. Good solution, though!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation