1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maya and Arachne

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Gunmage, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

I tried searching for this thread's name on the forums, but the only thing I got in return was an "Error 403" message.

But you can't stop the digital revolution, so the info must be out there somewhere! Can we compare the influence Maya and Arachne have on the world? How big is Arachne's coverage, compared to Maya's? Do their userbases intersect?

And a separate, but related question: is lore from the Infinity RPG book official, since it's developed by a third party?

2. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

Every piece of the RPG is CB approved before being released, so yes, it's pretty much official lore.

chromedog and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  3. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

The reason it takes so long to get anything for the RPG is because it's double checked by Gutier (the creator the Infinity universe). So it's as official as the main rule books (which the RPG directly rips from as well).

Size wise Maya kicks Arachne's ass. Maya is used by all the major powers (YJ, PanO, Haqq, Consilium, and the Earth nations). Arachne is the Nomads answer to Maya so they can stay free from Aleph's gaze. Userbase wise their might be some crossover but the main users of Arachne are the Nomads.

inane.imp and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  4. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

Laso according to the R.P.G. Material the "Infodump Interface" of Arachne is purposefully made to be counter-intuitive and difficult to use and employ; apparently is done with Randomic Codes that are easily understandable ONLY by who believe in the weird "Social Energy" system of the Mothership Bakunin, interpsed with cross-references to the anarchic Techno-Paganism and radical Neo-Christian Feminism of the Moirae Observancers, the "Spiritual Soul" of the Mothership, so MAYBE even not so flawlessly conmprehended by the stoic pragmatists of Corregidor "Worker Ethics") (who nonethelsess, have their own brand of "Cyber-Shamanism" according to the "Troop Fluff Lore" of the Bandits and the Jaguars) and the ruthless, exploitative Hyper-Capitalistic "Crime Bankers" of Tunguska (far less interested in spiritual matters, unless they are readily monetizable). . .

The Arachne Interface is EXPRESSELY made to give seizures and hallucinatory nightmares to the Maya Users that are well-endorsed in interfacing with A.L.E.P.H. so probably, in the other Hyperpowers of the Human Sphere just "Rich Risquè Kids" try to employ it. . .

Seems as if someone is trying, in our world, to program a shared Web with Linux, by employing passcodes and icons taken from hearing on reverse Heavy Metal Songs and Urban Legends Lore, rather than stay with Windows as O.S. or using Apple I-Phones. . .

While Nomads are the dedicated and chosen "Users" I believe there will be a small, but growing, base inside the FEW Ariadnan Hackers and Active Com-Log Employers, some Haqqislamite fringe organizations (such as Kum Gangs and Silk Smugglers) and Submondo Crime Families hiding in the Edge of the Human Sphere. . .

"Enlisting" with the "Big Sister Frame" (as apparently A.L.E.P.H. is a sort of "Virtual Motherly Figure" !!) could be useful for many, but not for all. . .

In the main R.P.G. Manual is hinted that the Lunar Crater Colony-City of Tycho, defected from Pan-Oceania and / or Yujing exploitations by petitioning to become part of the Nomads Nation amd there are selected parts of "Postwar Thirld World Countries" on Old Earth that are SERIOUSLY considering to join the Ariadnan Nations of Planet Dawn as Political Entities (mainly Independentist Authonomy Movements in Rural North America, Kazak Lands of Former Russia and various ethnicities of Great Britain and France) to escape from a system that condamn them to be "Hopelessly Barrio-Favelas Ateks" for Pan-O or "Servant Caste Material" in Yujing. . .

Stiopa and Balewolf like this.
  5. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

No, deliberate capitalization for emphasis/identification of proper nouns. Plus, English isn't his first language (I think Italian is, and IIRC Italian has some odd rules regarding capital letters).

Not that you can't get some Arachne-only info in the Aleph-dominated Human Sphere, mind you. it's just usually flagged as 'information of unknown accuracy' if not 'probable Black Propaganda'

7. Hecaton

I'm damn certain that Italian capitalizes less often than English. Stuff like "Heavy Metal Songs[sic]" isn't capitalized in either language.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  8. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

literally who cares

9. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

It really affects the readability of the comments. Reading mixed caps is harder on your brain than proper caps, especially when you're already dealing with non-native syntax and language usage.

10. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

dO I dEteCT SarCasM?

11. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I reckon that the best way to think of Arachne and Maya is like...

Imagine a city. The houses, warehouses, the electrical substations, roads, infrastructure... that's all Maya. Maya is an overlay of the structure of the world you see around you. Everything is present in Maya as well as reality, people, places, communication, data etc. It's the Internet but everything is online all the time, like a big layout of interconnecting blocks.

Now, running between everything, so thin that you barely notice it is there, is the space that defines the separation between the different parts of the Maya structure. There are millions, billions of parts and the gaps are so small that they seem insignificant, but they are there. A web of the spaces between, that most people don't see or know or use. That's Arachne, or at least, that's what the Nomads try to propagate it as and where they succeed what it looks like. Arachne is the dark underbelly, the free unrestricted highways and the hidden, locked away vaults used by the paranoid, the revolutionary, the criminal, the artist and the spy.

I think that the userbases do overlap in a lot of places, outside the Nomad Nation anyway. And I think that a lot of people could access Arachne if they only knew how (or wanted to, or had any reason to, which most don't and in any case can't).

Gunmage, Section9, Deltervees and 2 others like this.
  12. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

No, I have an actual degree in linguistics. Do you look at that and not get a headache? Honestly I know the content of his posts is good, I just skip them though because I like my brain not hurting.

There's a pretty large body of cognitive research indicating that word shape is important in word recognition - some newer studies have refuted this partially by comparing all-caps reading speeds, but I don't think there's much research on random-sentence internal capitalization. In any case, every time you capitalize a word mid-sentence in English, you're making native English speakers pause and wonder why the word is capitalized due to the connotations that capitalizing often introduces.

Hecaton and Xeurian like this.
  13. Hecaton

I generally associate that style of mid-sentence capitalization of non-proper nouns with Alex Jones fans, "sovereign citizens," and preppers, to be honest. That's why it's so off-putting.

Honestly, that's probably how Arachne is set up, which is entirely confounding to Aleph.

Nemo No Name and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  14. Section9

You mean, set up to make sense to someone suffering from the mental illness apophenia?

Though I'm going to object to you including preppers in that. Here's a disaster-planner's take on why.

stevenart74 likes this.
  15. Hecaton

As someone who grew up in the sticks the preppers were nothing short of annoying, though I can't posit a link between them and the other two groups I mentioned other than a tendency towards mid-sentence capitalization.

16. Section9

I spent some time growing up so far out in the sticks that it was about 90 minutes to the nearest ER to get my thumb stitched up. At 80khp (and Mom having to say, 'He's still alive, I can slow down...' repeatedly).

There, if you didn't have a month's food supplies and a campstove (with propane canisters), you could literally starve in the week+ it would take the Idaho Transportation Department to clear the road in the event of a landslide or avalanche! (If you really need to know where the hell is that far out in the sticks, it's a fun place called Elk City Idaho).

But yeah, some of the 'preppers' are horribly annoying. Apophenia wouldn't surprise me, among some.

17. Hecaton

How would you starve in a week? If you have water, you can go like three weeks without food - I've done 7 days and while I was grumpy as fuck I didn't feel like I was gonna die.

18. Section9

Wrong word. Starve FOR a week+.

xagroth and Hecaton like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation