1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looting and... other non-trooper targets

Discussion in 'ITS' started by konuhageruke, Jul 10, 2021.

1. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Do you get MA bonuses and/or burst/dmg bonus from other units in contact with AC2, doors, anthennas etc?

I assume yes for MA, no for other (units are not in engaged state with a piece of scenery), but I am not sure.

2. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

In N3 it was yes.
    It is true units are not engaged, but neither is your active model is not engaged either.
    Also it is true that game element are not enemy models, but you have to expect to count it as one otherwise your active model can't declare BS Attack / CC Attack either.
    Either it counts for everything or it counts for nothing and in the past the rule team went with counts for everything.

In N3 the FAQ read :
    "How does Close Combat work against a Scenery Item?
    In those scenarios in which it is allowed or required to destroy Scenery Items in Close Combat, they count as enemy troops for the purposes of declaring CC Attack, using CC Special Skills and gaining bonuses for multiple combatants (for example, Fireteams or Coordinated Orders). Note that at the end of the Order, the Scenery Item will not cause any trooper to be in the Engaged state."
    Even though everything changed, i think it works the same in N4.

At least they fixed "enemy model" in N4 to read "enemy model or target" where "target" means "game element capable of being targeted by attack" and "scenery element" meaning "game element bla bla on certain occasion may become a valid target".

Actually, i think they fixed engaged too the rule being
    "During the Active Turn:
    When declaring a CC Attack, the Player must select one Trooper or Peripheral activated by the Order. That Trooper or Peripheral performs the CC Attack and obtains a +1 MOD to B for each Allied Trooper or Peripheral that is not in a Null or Immobilized State, and is in Silhouette contact with their target."

TLDR: The allies don't need to be in the actual Engaged State, they only need to be in silhouette contact.

edit: on reactive turn, you need to be actually "Engaged State with the Active Trooper", but it's fine because the AC2 will never activate to hit you anyway. So i think the choice to go with Sil contact in active turn was to maintain their N3 ruling.

#2 Robock, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Mahtamori likes this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

The unhelpful answers are "scenery rules are a matter of player agreement" and "ITS mission rules are a matter of TO interpretation" :-)

More helpfully, I've seen it played this way in at least one tournament and I think it's a very good approach: the AC/2 counts as an enemy trooper. So, it does cause the Engaged state, markers that touch it are revealed, you get the gang-up bonus, etc.

Robock likes this.
  4. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

On that note I personally houserule for Looting and Sabotaging that you can get all the normal bonuses if you CC attack or you can forgo those bonuses (and potential crits) and just place D-Charges without a roll if you have them.

5. QueensGambit

That part is official as of the current ITS season. Placed D-Charges can now damage the AC/2, you no longer have to CC them onto it.

6. Triumph

Was that errata'd somewhere? My ITS document says:

"An AC2 can only be damaged by CC Attacks with CC Weapons possessing the Anti-materiel Trait, or with D-Charges."

Bolded part relevant.

7. QueensGambit

Yes exactly. They can be damaged by (1) CC Attacks with CC Weapons possessing the Anti-material Trait, or (2) D-Charges.

I think there is a forum thread considering the idea that it could mean CC attacks with D-charges, and rejecting that reading as redundant since D-charges are already CC weapons possessing the anti-material trait so wouldn't need to be called out specifically in their CCW form.

Triumph and Tourniquet like this.
  8. Triumph

Works for me.

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I think @Robock basically answered this.
    CC Attack requires you to be attacking an <enemy target>
    Martial Arts bonuses apply when attacking a <target> (note: doesn't even say "enemy here")
    Multiple Participants bonus applies from all <friendly troopers> in contact with the <target> (note: again doesn't say "enemy", just "target")

So, while house rules can absolutely change things, these missions now work out-of-the-box without external agreements or TO rulings: since you're able to attack the AC2 it is a target, and since it is a target you get the bonuses.

On D-charges:
    Just want to highlight how good this makes throw-away Greif, btw. I've literally lost a game to three average ARM rolls on the first order of a game.

10. QueensGambit

An unanswered question is, what happens if you have troopers in marker state touching the AC2? Do they get revealed? If not, do they still provide the burst bonus? RAW, I think the answers are "no" and "yes," but it's not a great interaction. I prefer the idea that the AC2 is an enemy trooper so touching it reveals troopers in marker state (that has also been my opponents' preferred interpretation when I deploy three Fidays 1mm from the AC2, and claim the burst bonus without revealing two of them :-)

Definitely a worthwhile play, although failing all three ARM saves is very bad luck, and even if you do you can still win by doing four wounds to the other AC2.

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

For context, there was an FAQ regarding destroying items made close to the game that confused us to play the AC2 as permanently destroyed after 3 damage. I did have an Engineer who could've attempted repairs otherwise. The rest of the game was my opponent using Tohaa's excellent Kauuri and Auxiliars to prevent my primarily camouflaged Kazaks from getting close to the opponent's AC2.
    But yeah, that's a 12.5% chance to fail all three. Not something the Tohaa player can count on, but on the other hand that's like 20 points to get an immediate lead - not too bad a loss.

QueensGambit likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation