1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's discuss the ZHÀNYING (Sensor) profile

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by zapp, May 15, 2018.

1. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Yu Jing
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]1
    [​IMG] ZHÀNYING (Sensor) Breaker Combi Rifle, Nimbus Grenades, MadTraps / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 28)

0 SWC | 28 Points

Open in Infinity Army

While listbuilding for Vanilla YJ, I thought that having Mad Traps and a Sensor are some nice skills/equipment to have in my arsenal. I was used to look at the sensor bot and the Kanren/Xi for these things to have, but with the temporal absence of Xi for the Mad Traps, I thought about using the Zhànying.
    I only need to spend 28 points for both sensor and madtraps.
    Furthermore, If you have a mission where your datatracker has not much more to do than not dying, this profile is also very capable, because Sixth Sense Lvl2 + Bioimmunity helps alot.

What do you think about this profile? Have you played it recently or do you ignore it for a reason?

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

He’s auto include in my Wu Ming core or Hsien Harris. The Mad traps provide crazy good defensive while the sensor brings utility. Nimbus grenades is also good if you get close and place a chain rifle against a link, as they will suffer -3 to the dodge roll.

Edit: There's also other non-obvious perks to him in the Wu Ming link. He's LI. I recently started facing a lot of pitchers/repeaters in my meta, so spending an order to drop him from the link and kill the repeater saving your link for nasty ARO's is also quite nice.

#2 Zewrath, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I don't often use them in vanilla, but when I do I tend to get the LT profile. Breaker Rifles are surprisingly high-powered, I'm really appreciating them more over Multi Rifles and Sensor allows them to shoot ODD stuff as well as discover enemies that think they are safe in TO Camo state (I'm not saying Saito wasn't a royal pain in the ass, but having sensor on guard duty does make him a lot slower).

Also, the Mad Traps profile is pure gold in a Hsien link.

loricus likes this.
  4. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I've liked the Zhanying with Madtraps a lot. Less for them immobilizing enemy and more for taking out mines. I think of them almost as a mobile mine sweeper. 90% of the time they've gone against an enemy, they dodged. Or something like a TAG just would make it's PH test.

Sensor is pretty good. I think I've only gotten off Triangulated Fire once ever. It's hard to do because it's a Long skill. So you need to first survive an initial shot and then you can do the TF. But it's really nice when you use it and reveal 2 ninja hanging out by the objective!

loricus likes this.
  5. KestrelM1

KestrelM1 Well-Known Member

You can use the MadTraps to set yourself up for Triangulated Fire. Just send a MadTrap out into Line of Fire of your target, who must then declare his ARO against the MadTrap. Then Move to your firing position of choice with your second short skill. Then you're clear to start up Triangulated Fire with subsequent orders.

I'm not big on Zhanying in general, but the MadTraps and Hacker profiles do offer quite a bit of utility in vanilla.

Zewrath, Mc_Clane, Shiwen and 2 others like this.
  6. Space Ranger

Most of the guys I play know better than to shoot at the thing that can't hurt them. I've only actually used it once with a the REM. It actually killed something all the way across the board, in cover!

I really love the Breaker rifle. Not only does it go against BTS, of which many troops are BTS 0, but it's also half of the BTS. So it's good against most troops. Even TAGs.

7. KestrelM1

KestrelM1 Well-Known Member

They don't have a choice, the MadTrap is the only legal target. Or perhaps you're misunderstanding the maneuver I'm suggesting.

With your first short skill, you declare Move with your Zhanying. You move one of your MadTraps into LoF of your target, and you keep the Zhanying out of LoF entirely during that first Move. At that point the enemy MUST declare their ARO, and the MadTrap is the only thing they can shoot. You're then free to declare Move again and position your Zhanying within Line of Fire to your target.

8. Space Ranger

Ok I get it. Using the Madtrap to force them to declare ARO. They can't hold because it's not a camo troop. I'll have to try that! Thanks! :)

9. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

It's also one of the best tools in the game for setting up Triangulated Fire. The enemy declares their ARO on the madtrap, allowing the Zhanying to use his second short skill to safely move into LoF with the enemy. Then next Order, he can Triangulated Fire from a safe position.

On a general note, perimeter weapons have a lot of application for this season's ITS lineup. Lots of missions that require attack and defense, and obviously Datatrackers often have to be kept alive. I think it really makes this profile very appealing.

loricus likes this.
  10. Space Ranger

I'm going make sure I try this out more.

I hope they come out with more MadTraps soon! Considering the Kanren, Zhanying, and Pheasant Agent can all take them! I'd love to flood the board with 8 or more MadTraps!

11. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

I had not considered used the madtraps as bait.

I have managed to get good usage out of triangulation. About half of them are against things tied up in melee. If you catch an opponent in that situation, there is nothing they can do except make those saves.

barakiel likes this.
  12. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

This is all fantastic information.

13. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

The opponent could just declare dodge, its how you get out of all these situations.

14. entropolous

entropolous Active Member

Which then allows you to move in to position with out reprisal to use triangulate fire with the next order.

15. banthafodder

Actually, they can't even.

Dodge as an ARO requires LOF. Being locked in CC limits LOF to models you in base to base with.

16. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

If the madtrap touches you it goes off, it cant lock you in b2b contact as it ceased to exit at that moment. Even if it could tie you in B2b you can still declare a dodge aro.

Edit: It occurs to me that you may be referring to some other situation involving other models and not the effects of mad traps and coordinated fire that I am referring too. In that case, could use some clarity that you had changed focus.

#16 Wombat85, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. banthafodder

My apologies, I was referencing triangulation fire uses in general, mostly from experience with the crane and Weibing.

Sometimes it's my opponent in CC with something they didn't quite kill (Hey Achilles and McMurder). Other times another it was an impetuous and/or melee model that engaged of its own accord.

I'm pretty sure madtraps will only disappear when they are either damaged or activate boost. I am unsure if they can even lock someone in CC as they are not trooper.

18. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Sixth Sense L2 is fun for dealing with annoying things like Impersonators or Camo-shooters. Some fool tried to shank a Zhanying ML with al-Jabel, didn't work so well. Lost the surprise attack bonus, and lost the Viral damage, too.

Sensor is just evil against, well, just about anything in Marker state. I'm chasing down 28mm military working dogs to use as the 'sensor' indicator for the models that have it. Kinda want a robodog for Cranes, but I haven't found one I like. There are a couple different dogs with tac vest that I've seen, I have the one from Spectre Minis on a separate base (because it goes with a Special Ops trooper, normally).

loricus likes this.
  19. Space Ranger

You might be in Luck. GW is going to do a Rogue Trader Skirmish game and it has a Doberman in the teaser video.

I want to try to get the triangulated fire off more often but it's so situational. What's described above is still a great use of the Madtraps to do it or even just to move a position in cover or out of LoS. Out of the guys with Madtraps though I really like the Zhanying. Sensor and SS2 I think is worth it even in Vanilla.

20. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

The trouble with Triangulated Fire is to actually use it you generally have to expose the user at least once and trigger an ARO before you can do it. Which means risking getting shot yourself by a target that's very hard to hit, or even just giving them the chance to dodge and move out of LOF anyway. You can use it to fire into CC but it's order inefficient and you get the same net effect by just firing a model that's in a +3 range band.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation