1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L4 Specialties question ("replace Defense with Weapon Attack")

Discussion in 'General' started by d_b, Nov 24, 2022.

1. d_b

d_b Well-Known Member

There are four Specialties with seemingly similar effects, all Level 4 of the appropriate weapon proficiency skill branch, but worded in 3 different ways.
    • Rifles 4 - Expert Fusilier
    • Tohaa Combat 4 - Ha-El
    • Light Weapons 4 - Burst
    • Heavy Weapons 4 - Suppressing Fire
    2022-11-25 00.02.45.jpg

The idea is "gain 1 Aggro, replace Defense with unmodified Attack of your weapon". But the wording seems unclear to me.

1) Rifles L4 is worded without "Rotate this card". This looks like an oversight, but might be an intended feature.

2) Rifles L4 is worded without "unmodified" Attack Roll, just an Attack Roll. Again, looks like an oversight.

3) What exactly does "unmodified" mean in these cards? Can't add Attack bonuses from Specialties, since this is a Defense roll? Can't add anything at all, just pure Attack roll of the weapon instead of all sources of Defense (innate, Equipment, Specialties)?

4) There are "Defense Roll", "Defense" and "Defense Value" used somewhat interchangeably, although "Defense Roll" is different from "Defense Value", and "Defense" can stand for both. "Defense Value" is likely a Character's innate Defense, printed on his card. "Defense Roll" is likely "Defense Value" + all Specialties and Equipment effects. Or am I wrong here?

Q1 how these cards are supposed to work?

a) Replace innate Character's Defense with weapon Attack value, and then add relevant Defense Specialties and Equipment

b) Replace the whole Defense Roll (innate + Specialties + Equipment) for weapon's Attack value without any modifiers

Q2 Is Rifles 4 different from other similar Specialties, or it's an oversight and they all work the same?

Interested in how you guys played this during your campaigns.

2. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

1. Eh. I don't recall THAT many situations when it would cause a serious impact. You still have to add AGGRO so there's not a big difference whether you use it once per turn or every possible time. But yeah, you pretty much get total reaction with that.
    2. Oh, yeah. That's a big one. All these "Unmodified" notes make these skills average at best, but if you can combine with other dices that's big.
    3. Usually that means just dice on equipment card. I think I asked something like that here about Uma's dual shot which changes attack to unmodified Weapon 1 + Weapon 2 roll. Which by the time you get that skill usually weaker than regular attack.
    4. There's inconsistencies even between similar skills in Core and Add-ons. Don't bother that much, the only way you can still have fun with this game is homerule such aspects since CB doesn't care anymore.

#2 Lucian, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    d_b likes this.
  3. d_b

d_b Well-Known Member

We have this Specialty on Kusanagi, who is basically fuelled by Aggro and always wants more of it.

Thanks man, that's exactly what I'm doing :) I'm kinda ok with tweaking and editing the game.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation