1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda how I imagine a chain rifle works

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by leigen_zero, Mar 22, 2018.

1. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I know the fluff says it uses a length of chain as ammo, but this is kinda how I imagine a chain rifle looks if it were IRL.

Belgrim, Andergdet and jherazob like this.
  2. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

That, or maybe a prototype of LRMC :P

3. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Doesn't the chain rifle use scrap as ammo? I thought the fluff said the chain rifle was basicaly a malfuntioned industry vacuum cleaner.

It all started by a stupid design error.

The low cost home appliances line Pelham Solutions marketed a hand-held vacuum cleaner-like that supported other functions. The VC-201 was supposed to spray a cleaning product via a simple gadget besides its main vacuum cleaning duty, but the thing got a bad start. It was put on the market with no one taking care of the issue. A botched job coming from a minor firm harried by unavoidable deadlines.

The problem came after a few months when a brat from Portobello started to upload videos to Maya in which he used the VC-201 to project the rubbish from the vacuum cleaner with high enough force. It didn't look so bad, this kind of thing had already happened before with other products. Videos of people launching rubbish with the VC-201 vacuum cleaner were a trend for a week. Some VC-201 users discovered how to pump up the machine and shoot rubbish with more power.

We didn't care. Sales were rising. We didn't ask questions.

Rafael Vicenzo, from Tiradentes, Acontecimento, was the first mortal victim of a shot fired from a VC-201. An unfortunate incident. There were more. Short range, powerful shots victims. With fragments of every kind of rubbish incrusted on their faces. Glass, pens, food leftovers... Most of them were domestic accidents...or they looked like it.

At that moment they called me. The VC-201 was a gold mine and someone up from the corporate ladder was needed to plan the next steps.

We launched the VC-205, improved, more powerful. Why? Because customers were using the vacuum cleaners as weapons. So the VC-205 included a device that allowed it to get rubbish compacted in easier to shoot blocks. We disguised the whole move as cleaning improvements, of course.

We sold millions of copies. We launched editions in several colors. We invested in advertisements. I should admit that I did the wise thing avoiding to put the Moto.Tronica name on that.
    It didn't need a weapons permit, didn't require ammo, it was untraceable, fashionable... The firm eluded any responsibility due to the fact that the minor modification it needed was made by the user.

We launched the VC-301, with a fucking rotary chamber to "attach cleaning implements", we just made it semi-automatic.

Street gangs bought them in 50-unit lots. Shop owners hid it under the counter. In the most dangerous suburbs people were openly carrying them on shoulder straps. Its characteristic shooting blast was often heard in the worst corners of the human sphere.

It was a weapon that needed no special skill, it just shot a cheap shrapnel blast that filled the whole place with an effective range of seven paces. Cheaper that any handgun.

In the shiny Neoterra streets their wealthy citizens lived oblivious of the consequences of their decisions. It was on Human Edge, in the worst suburbs of Shentang or Acontecimento where the population got back to the Far West shooting rubbish at each other.

The young urban predator profile mutated, increased in number and acted under a veil of impunity created by our firm, because we had moved heaven and earth so that the VC-501 (an abomination with an aggressive design openly directed to young male customers) could not be considered as a "firearm".

While the main political scene actors were debating about the moral use of super-weapons of mass destruction, our vacuum cleaners were credited with thousands of dead every day in every trouble spot in any planet.

Small satellite firms started to appear; they produced butt stocks, handles, iron sights, gun barrels to improve accuracy and bags of especially effective rubbish. Common garbage turned a valuable item and people stored it in their condos to make more ammo.

A new slang evolved; our vacuum cleaners were called "cleaners" or "limpias". To "clean" someone was just shooting him in the face. And not every burst was the same. Killing a guy with shrapnel from metal containers was deemed as a very professional job. Plastic was something usual between street gangs that got their supplies from common garbage. Using food leftovers to "clean" someone was a show of contempt. Crimes of passion were executed with objects of sentimental value.

We were planning our next expansion step as military contractors when higher authorities intervened. Our legal counselors advised us to get the company name out of the whole matter and leave Pelham Solutions to be engulfed by the anger of the media, the law and the plebs.

It mattered little. The damage was already done. There was a whole market established around the "cleaners". Similar products were produced by several firms. Even Gang Tie got its filthy paws in the business, through several proxies of course.

A change of legislation was needed.

Even with ALEPH instant updates, the legal apparatus would take months to adapt to the situation, years before the "cleaners" were eradicated. Thousands upon thousands of dead. Billions upon billions in profits.

There are nights when my conscience would not let me sleep. Some days I feel responsible of all this. Maybe writing these lines is my way of cleansing my share of guilt. I knew of a mid-level designer of the first VC-201. He ended up on the psycho ward. I also knew of the brilliant career of one of the managers of the "cleaners" line, so I think not everyone got harmed in the process.

I just did my job.

(original by Bostria on the Spanish Infinity forum, English translation by Hellraiser on Data Sphere, corrections by Pierzasty)

4. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

That's pretty cool actually, didn't know that tidbit of fluff existed.

AFAIK, the fluff for the 'modern' chain rifle in use in infinity 'today' uses ammo that looks like a length of chain, which somehow gets turned into a hail of shrapnel as it leaves the gun.

I just imagined that being on the receiving end of a chain rifle looks a lot like being on the receiving end of the gun in the vid, just, more, deadly...

I thought the description of RMC weapons was basically 'gatling railgun'?

5. Macbain

Macbain Professional Shitposter

The vacuum cleaner was fanfic.
    If you want to know what the chainrifle is read the idoru trilogy by gibson.
    Basically the chain rifle shoots pieces of barbed wire.

6. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I could swear that ut was called "Chain-Rifle" because inspired by some other "Cyberpunk Golden-Age" (the EARLIER works of Philip Dick towards the LATER of Gibson) weapon that employed a Chain-Saw to dent a solid block of Metaceramic Material, resulting in shards and sharp shrapnels of ALMOST-Monomolecular matter being funnelled into a special barrell. . .

I know that a similar weapon was present in the vintage, venerable "Cyberpunk 2020" R.P.G. Manual by Talsorian Games in the "Chromebook 2" Gear Catalogue; it was Pistol-Shaped rather than Rifle-Sized and so was essentially a "Chain Colt" rather than a "Chain Rifle". . . . .!!!

I have the Manual in Italian, but if You search for "Cyberpunk 2020 Shard Pistol" then You should find around the Web the material of the English Original. . .

Belgrim likes this.
  7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

"Fan fiction or fanfiction (also abbreviated to fan fic, fanfic, fic or ff) is fiction about characters or settings from an original work of fiction, created by fans of that work rather than by its creator. It is a popular form of fan labor, particularly since the advent of the Internet.

Fan fiction is rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's creator or publisher, and is rarely professionally published. It may or may not infringe on the original author's copyright, depending on the jurisdiction and on such questions as whether or not it qualifies as "fair use" (see Legal issues with fan fiction). Attitudes of authors and copyright owners of original works to fan fiction have ranged from indifference to encouragement to rejection. Copyright owners have occasionally responded with legal action."

Having a story by Bostria, from Corvus Belli itself does not fit the category of "fanfic".
    Nor does refuting it with sources from books, unrelated to infinity.
    Whether or not that piece of fluff is in conflict with the short text on wiki, or exists as a side thing or not at all, is an entirely defirrent debate.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation