1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought an SLA 3D printer…

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Kukuruznik, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Kukuruznik

Kukuruznik New Member

Any good tips on where to find relevant STLs? I would love to start printing some nice scatter terrain.

regards
    Peter

2. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

3. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

And if you are willing to pay MyMiniFactory is the place look.

Mogra likes this.
  4. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I like the sci-fi terrain from https://dragons.rest/
    There's also some decent stuff on https://corvusgamesterrain.com/ (I think it's just a coincidence that the name is similar to CB).

Because much of this stuff is optimized for 'heroic scale' minis, I'd recommend testing it out and maybe scaling it to make it feel better with the Infinity minis (except for the Corvus Objective rooms obviously, which need to be the correct 8" size).

One thing I'll say is you should do the math on your resin costs prior to printing anything of a significant size. The fine resolution of SLA printer is great for making things like high detail figures, but the economics tend to not be great for terrain. I have an SLA (Form 2) AND and an FDM (Ender 3) printer and I don't print terrain with the SLA because the cost of resin is such that it's cheaper to buy commercially available terrain - unless you want to spend hours of printing and $140 of resin for a piece you could've bought for $50. The PLA spools for an FDM printer are much cheaper and so make large terrain prints a bit more viable. The quality is worse than PLA but FDM is pretty much the only way I know to print terrain pieces in a way that saves money over commercial products.

Dragons Rest has some things like 'flight case' scatter along with some consoles and stuff that I've printed on my SLA to good effect.

Danger Rose and jherazob like this.
  5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Here's a quick search, and here's another. Neither is fully relevant but should get you started. Also some users make what the site calls "collections", where they gather files according to some criteria, here's an "Infinity" collection by some user, i distinctly remember seeing many of these.

And here's a search there, again this one's almost entirely stuff to pay for.

I don't yet have a printer but have been paying attention to the scene. I have to reflect what people have said, a resin printer has awesome quality but the numbers don't add up when it comes to terrain, filament printers are better for that, and you probably won't make full tables of that. On the other hand, objective markers? Greebles to decorate bigger scratchbuild pieces? Details for use in other stuff? Conversion parts for the minis? Smaller but detailed things? The printer will absolutely shine for this. Doubly so if you learn Blender, Sketchup or some other design software to make your own stuff.

6. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

Lawson likes this.
  7. greygoat

greygoat New Member

If you're looking to do any conversions, the Monstrous Makings patreon is super cheap and he has done almost all the weapons you can think of in an STL file. I've been printing some out for friends to use.

8. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

9. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

Check his other 2 previous KS, I backed them too.

Lawson likes this.
  10. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

aphexblue and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation