1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping into Yu-Jing with both feet!

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by jadelantern, Feb 25, 2018.

1. jadelantern

jadelantern New Member

Hi guys!

I am a new convert to Yu-Jing from Pan Oceania! I decided to make the change because as I was coming into the game I had a friend who had been playing for awhile and another friend coming into the game as I was. After researching the game and flipflopping back and forth between Pan O and Yu-Jing I decided on Pan O, the friend that was starting up decided on Nomads, and the friend that had been playing for a while was switching from Pan O to Haqqislam.

My friend who was getting into the game and chose Nomads took to it like a duck to water, he was winning games almost right away and also entered and won a few tournaments right off the bat. It almost seemed like he had so much success he got bored and put infinity to the side for a while.

My buddies experience with Haqqislam has been pretty good as well. When he switched over he said he felt like several things clicked and started making more sense. He was able to understand the army, how they play and that helped him get more into the game and understand some scenarios better as well as how to better tackle other armies. He entered several tournaments and placed high but then started winning them.

My experience with Pan Oceania has been the complete opposite. I played lots and lots of games, I studied the rules I tried to get more into the game and have never once in any game felt comfortable or like I was truly in control. It was the TAG’s that put me over the top and made me deiced on Pan O, and I had a few games where my TAG had done well and I even won a few games but I honestly have never reached the point where I turned the corner and felt comfortable playing the game.

I played a LOT of games and know the rules but I just can’t explain it, I had decided I was going to stick to one army when I got into Infinity but after the last game I played where I killed maybe one model and my opponent literally tabled me killing everything I had, and throughout the game I never felt like I couldn’t take the game seriously and never even had a chance I knew right then I am going to have to play something else or quit the game.

I decided its time to play the army I probably should have played from the start and went in on Yu-Jing.

Yasashii Fuyu likes this.
  2. Yasashii Fuyu

Yasashii Fuyu Well-Known Member

Well well, great to hear you decided to join Yu Jing! I hope things will "click" for you here like they did for your comrades.

May I suggest you try out a sectorial to begin with? It limits your options a little, allowing for you to focus more on the models you have in the sectorial, and once you're compfortable with them, you can expand to another sectorial, or Vanilla as a whole. I did the same when I started with Yu Jing, and it helped me a lot.

Since it's quite powerful at the moment, and you seem to be in a rather tournament heavy environment, may I suggest ISS? It's a nice change of pace compared to PanO with no TAGs at all, and you'll get to know some of the most prominent Yu Jing troops in that Sectorial as well.

3. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

If you think you can wait a couple of months on holding off on major purchases it'd probably be worth your while. The expectation is in April there will be a whole new sectorial for Yu Jing, and potentially JSA may or may not pick up some extra interesting toys.

There are some major changes in April so if you can wait and see what happens it'll probably make life easier for you.

4. jadelantern

jadelantern New Member

I have actually already started buying some things to play vanilla and was planning on moving into a sectoral army later. I am just anxious to play the game and at least feel comfortable.

5. Yasashii Fuyu

Yasashii Fuyu Well-Known Member

The thing with Vanilla is that it's easy to get overwhelmed with choices especially when you are just beginning. Vanilla Yu Jing has almost every kind of unit available in Infinity, and can adapt to almost all playstyles there are, but that also means it is hard to find the synergies and what works and what doesn't in the beginning. Mostly for that reason I'd recommend starting with a Sectorial and then going to Vanilla, and not the other way around. It gives you an easier "route" of what to buy in the beginning, what to expand into, and whatnot, and tones down the options a little to give you an easier learning curve.

But that's obviously just my opinion, so if you want to go full on Vanilla right away and feel comfortable doing so, go for it, it'll be fun!

6. jadelantern

jadelantern New Member

Thank you for that advice. I was actually talking to a friend about it and he gave me the complete opposite advice.

Now I do have the parts of a sectoral army. Another friend was needed cash fast and sold me this:

3 keisotsu
    3 domaru
    1 kempetai
    4 haramaki
    2 aragoto
    1 oniwaban
    1 shinobu kitsune
    1 saito togan
    neko oyama
    oyori tag with crazy kolas

I didn't think I would get to that till later so i havent really researched what everything does.

I'm in a meeting at work currently, I can post the other stuff I have picked up when I get home.

7. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Most people say start with vanilla because the rules are easier (no Fireteams) but as someone who started in vanilla and quickly moved into a sectorial, Vanilla YJ is overwhelming to look at. Building a list in JSA isn't difficult for me -- I look at the mission, decide whether or not I can play the Domaru/Haramaki link, and if I can't, I start with a defensive Keisotsu ML link. Every single time. And nothing ever really shares a role with anything else -- Yojimbo is my lightning fast smoke warband, Rui Shi is my MSV2, etc.

Vanilla is too much though. The Daofei, Crane and Su Jian have fairly similar roles for example, and the Kanren, Guilang and Ninja are all skirmishers with different ways of accomplishing their objectives. The Hsien and Hac Tao have similar roles as beefy HMG guys, etc. Too much nuance for me, I prefer to take samurai dudes and go cut people up.

8. jadelantern

jadelantern New Member

I don't at all feel overwhelmed... I think the only thing I am finding confusing is some of the names of things.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation