1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JSA Studio Color Scheme

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by Grizwald, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Grizwald

Grizwald Member

Does anyone know the studio JSA color scheme paint pallet. I have been searching online and haven’t had any luck I was hoping someone might know the recipes for the red and white that were used for the studio models.

2. alir

alir Member

Angelo Giraldez in his second book described painting resculpted domarus in JSA colors

3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Right, the Domaru is on Pages 89-90 of Masterclass volume 2.

Looks like a 2-tone primer set, starting with black, then gray zenithal primer on the highlights.

Gray primer (I think Vallejo Gray surface primer) on all the white areas, too.
    Airbrush highlight with Dead White 72.701, slowly and with lots of layers to get even coverage on the white areas.

Red areas are brush-painted 50/50 Black Red 72.859 and Scarlett Blood 72.106. Again. lots and lots of layers for even coverage and to build up the color.

Thigh guards are Camouflage Green 72.031 base, then stippled with an 80/20 mix of Medium Fleshtone 70.860 and Camouflage Green 72.031, then add some Sunny Skintone 70.845 to that mix and stipple again. Glaze with Green Ink 72.089. Add some Ivory 70.918 to the Medium Fleshtone/Camo Green/Sunny Skintone mix for some fine lines to reinforce the visual texture. Insignias on the Thigh Guards are also Ivory, then there are some (unspecified) glazes 'to visually homogenize the area'.

Logos and insignias are freehand, paints used not specified. White lines on the red armor appear to be Ivory, any red logos appear to be the standard red mix of Black Red and Scarlett Blood.

Blades are NMM silver with a purple glaze. NMM silver has several recipes, recipe in Angel's book 2 is to prime black, airbrush 3 thin layers of Dark Grey 70.994, then start the (very broad) highlights with 70/30 Dark Grey/White. Add more white to the mix and make smaller highlights. Any black lining is actually a 50/50 mix of Black 70.950 and Dark Prussian Blue 70.965. Raised edges are highlighted with White. More shading with that Black/Dark Prussian Blue mix. Highlights in the center, shade on the outer ends. Final, very small highlights of pure white in the center.

weathering is done with a mix of black 70.950 and smoke 70.939.

Take your time with this.

Time Bandit, Cadmo, Freek and 2 others like this.
  4. Grizwald

Grizwald Member

Thank you for the info I ordered the book today and the paints.

5. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

I can’t recommend Masterclass 1 and 2 enough. So very helpful and motivating.

My painting ability really improved after following angels tutorials . It also helped me relax and enjoy painting more.

Happy painting , hope it goes well for you .

Myomer likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation